41 Mag vs. 44 Mag

I had my 4" S&W Model 57 for 10 years before I fired a factory round out of it. Recoil is rather subjective, proper grips make all the difference-I have Herret's on mine. My Ruger Super Blackhawk raps my knuckles. I would go for the 44, wider selection of guns-including long guns- and bullets.

+1 An "N" frame S&W in either flavor is cool, but if you want a carbine with that, you have to be a successful unicorn hunter to even see a .41.

Umm, my Henry in .41 Mag was no problem finding and it's a marvelous gun. Every load I've tried has been very accurate and for whatever reason they all have shot to the same POA more or less. Available as both a rifle and carbine.

I got out of the 41 magnum, going with the 44 magnum during the first Clinton disaster. It has always been difficult to find ammo and/reloading components for the 41.

Nanuk - I got out of the 41 magnum, going with the 44 magnum during the first Clinton disaster. It has always been difficult to find ammo and/reloading components for the 41.

Not difficult in a mail order, internet world. Certainly not what one should expect to find at an LGS or even a gun show.

Never had a problem finding reloading components for my .41. Starline brass and plenty of bullet manufacturers. Only real problem is a lack of bullet varieties, but no lack of suppliers.

Not difficult in a mail order, internet world. Certainly not what one should expect to find at an LGS or even a gun show.

In the early 90's we did not have the internet of today. We had the 94 AWB and were threatened with other legislation. I downsized to a more common caliber and never looked back. There is nothing the 41 can do that the 44 cannot do better.

And then there is California, which passed a law that kicks in on Jan 1st, 2018, basically making mail-order ammo illegal, as well as bringing more than 50 rounds of ammo back from out of state.:eek:

And some of us are stuck here.:mad:

Back in the day I used to pick up bullets at gun shows no problem. But I've never shot my .41 at a high volume so a thousand bullets lasted me a long time too. I do shoot more now but mostly in my Henry, really love that thing and not so hard on my old beat up hands.

Back