40 S&W good enough for mountain lions/black bear?

this is black bear, not grizzly.

So? Black bears to tend to be more passive. But that isn't the case every time. Ever come across a cub? You think that situation doesn't come about? I'm definitely seeing a pattern of marginalizing what should actually be suggested...and not only in this thread....

in all honesty, (i know you guys will flame me for this) when i am hiking in northern az where the biggest predators are cougars and black bears, i carry my p22 with cci mini mags

Need I say more?

Do what you want. It's your business. But I would get ready by donning a flame suit. You're going to need it...

I would think that you asked about the .40 because it is the only or largerst caliber you own, am I correct?

If it were me, I would look into a .357 revolver as my next purchase and carry the .40 untill that point. Definetly carrying a .40 caliber semi auto is stronger defense than the rotting branch you would pick up during an attack because someone told you it was not the right caliber.

I wouldn't just go out and buy a 44 mag either, since it is for the black bear you may never see. If you like, find something chambered for a more powerful cartridge that you like that you can shoot for sport, and then you have your outdoors defense gun. The 44 mag that you buy for that black bear you might see may be a little on the harsh side for recoil and limit your practice.

And to echo6actual,
Please read the original post entirely before posting a response. Next, please offer advice, not instruction. Unless you are typing with one arm because of your .40 black bear experience, we would appreciate it if you did not to tell others what they should not do. And if you are typing with one arm do to your loss of limb black bear experience, just give us advice pertaining to your experience.

Last edited:
when i am hiking in northern az where the biggest predators are cougars and black bears, i carry my p22 with cci mini mags

Hey we are about to offer P22 Black bear Hunts up here, want to come up?

WildiseeageckoAlaska ™

Hey we are about to offer P22 Black bear Hunts up here, want to come up?

WA, just make sure to get the full payment for the fee prior to the beginning of the hunt; no deposit and rest of payment afterward!

If you need a guide, I believe that Pooh and his relatives are just "wakey wakey" around locale fairly soon. Maybe we can set something up?

The best defense from a suprise ML attack is to get a cap and put fake eyes on the back of it, and a running suit that is black with a wide white stripe down the back.

Correction

In reply to those of you who say I did not read the original post I noted that

large caliber HANDGUNS would be usable since the man has a pacemaker. I

recommended the long guns to give him an understanding that more is better, in this situation.

:cool:In response to the individual who says .40 cal. will work on a bear, go right

ahead and try it.. it will be your funeral. I work in the firearms industry and

deal with large game hunters all the time. I did not intend to offend anyone by

using command language, one must understand the seriousness of dealing

with bears and cougars! Common misconceptions about effectiveness of

different weapons gets people KILLED. Do you know someone who has took

a charging bear down with a .40 cal.? If so I would like to meet him/her

With all these folk wanting to shoot bears here, I'm beginning to think this forum is leaning toward becoming anti Ursus-American!!!!!

:):mad::)

Tom2 said: "The best defense from a suprise ML attack is to get a cap and put fake eyes on the back of it, and a running suit that is black with a wide white stripe down the back."

Some time back, I described how Indian (the other Indians) woodcutters defended themselves against tigers. They put a mask on the back of their heads. It works. In my part of California (San Diego County), bears of any kind are not a problem, but mountain lions are. They like mule deer, mountain sheep, and early morning people such as joggers and golfers . . . Always from behind. As several have pointed out above, if a ninety-nine pound mountain lion has its teeth around your neck, it really doesn't matter what weapon you have.

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

Cordially, Jack

Bingo to the thread above. Its not going to matter if you have a .500 if you cant get it out and shoot quickly enough. I wont hunt large game with anything smaller than a .3006. I feel just fine with a .22, its more for small game hunting and if need be protection from 2 legged predators, as i carry bear spray as my main defense, and yes black bear not grizzly. Black bears are MUCH smaller than grizzly bears, normally. A male grizzly bear on average weighs between 440-800 lbs. a male black bear weighs between 250 and 600 lbs. A female, which is what is being spoken of, weighs on average between 90 and 300 lbs. A .40, especially multiple rounds, would do it. The largest recorded black bear in history was an 880 lb male. Im pretty sure I would want at least a .44 for anything over 500 lbs, but if your balls shrivel and the thought that maybe you might run into the worlds biggest black bear on your morning hike, maybe hiking isn't for you

It would not be my 1st choice, but with the right ammo you could do a lot worse. I also live in NW Georgia and have seen a few bear, killed one and have helped carry a few out of the woods.

According to DNR rangers the typical bear taken by hunters here weighs about 185 lbs. There have been several over 500 lbs taken but they do not get that big by being seen by humans. Almost all problem bears are young bears that have recently been chased off by their mothers and weigh around 100 lbs. They either get killed young, or learn to avoid people. You do not need a 500 mag to handle the type of bears that are most likely to bother you, at least not in GA.

A poacher here shot and killed a 400+ lb bear several years ago with a 40 cal. Glock. 1 shot to the chest. It can be done. My personal choice for woods hiking is the Glock in 10mm. and DoubleTap ammo. If all I had was a 40 I would use it. Realistically you are more likely to need it for 2 legged predators anyway.

Thanks guys, truth is I asked about the 40 S&W because its between that and my .22 pistol. And yeah we have mountain lions in Georgia, my mom grew up in Rockdale, a pretty good hike from the mountains and their was a cougar on their land that had a taste for rabbits (their pet rabbits).
Thanks for the help. I know a rifle or shotgun would be best but with my pacemaker that just isnt a viable option. The largest pistol I have fired was a Ruger chambered in 45acp.
Can anyone recommend a good larger caliber in a gun that could help handle the recoil? I have no experience with a 357magnum, 44 mag/ 44special or the 45 Long Colt.

Seems like a lot of guys posting don't know a lot about black bears? Maybe never even seen one??

I like the post by "echo" that stated a .44 Mag has been used to kill a black bear in controlled circumstances. I have killed 2 black bears with my Super Redhawk in .44 Mag, and neither went farther than 15 yards. I have also killed numerous 400 lb and 500 lb hogs with it. A .44 mag will put a black bear down in a hurry.

What kind of question is this,really?

YOU are at risk and you want opinions on what rond will keep you safe? You want to bet your life on what members here experiences are? lol!!

Just carry enough gun so you don't have to wonder and you'll have no regrets.

If it turns out. 40 wasn't enough, will you be able to report back to us?? :D

Im pretty sure I would want at least a .44 for anything over 500 lbs, but if your balls shrivel and the thought that maybe you might run into the worlds biggest black bear on your morning hike, maybe hiking isn't for you

Gee I'll have to give your learned advice to all of the experienced Alaskan outdoorsmen who carry 44s and up who arent quite as tough as you:eek:

WildmyyouknowwhatsshriveleverydayAlaska TM

the loud bang of your gun should scare away most animals even if you don't score a direct hit, in the worst case stopping power may depend more on critical shots if only wielding a handgun. if you carry pepper spray make sure you have sudecon wipes, no sense roaming the woods blind.

BEAR/HUMAN CONFLICTS
There are no recorded bear attacks on humans in Georgia, and no fatalities. There have only been two documented fatal black bear attacks in the Southeastern United States.

As per: State of Ga. DNR

Mountain Lions: As far as I could tell the only Cougar killed in Ga. was one shot in about 2000. It had escaped from a sanctuary.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html

That's IF your hiking in Ga.. Seems like OC spray would be lighter. You should both carry it.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Back