38 Special . . . 38 Super . . .the diff is . . . ?

Prof Young

So I"m being a lazy butt and asking the question here instead of doing the research.

What is the difference between a 38 special and a 38 super?

Life is good.
Prof Young

One can be faster than the other.

But not always.

And one sometimes has a heavier bullet than
the other.

But not always.

Took me years and years to learn the difference.

Hope I've been of help.

They are different. So different that small pistol primer is probably the only thing they have in common. Like 45 colt and 45acp.

-TL

lazy

Hey, I'll toss some stuff out there.

As noted, the .38 spl started as a revolver cartridge, I'll add, with black powder, pre 1900. I think S&W is the firm that introduced it. Later, loaded with modern smokeless powder and various bullets, it went on to become a favorite, especially with the US police, until the 1990's, likely later in places. It is a rimmed cartridge, the rim locating the cartridge in the revolver cylinder/chamber. In its most modern renditions, it appeared with the designations .38 spl +P and +P+, denoting higher pressures and velocities.

The .38 Super, also seen as the Super .38, is an auto pistol cartridge seeing life about 30 yrs later in 1929. The Super .38 was in improvement on a previous .38 caliber auto pistol cartridge of modest power. The Super was introduced by Colt, for the 1911 pistol and has always been loaded with modern, smokeless powder. It is technically, I believe, semi-rimmed, which gave some issues, but is resolved with modern varieties. Initially, it had some favor with LE apparently, due to its increased penetration over the .45 acp with ball ammo. It also had less recoil and a higher mag capacity in the 1911 over its .45acp version. Eclipsed by the .357 magnum, it remained in the shadows until modern competition discovered that a hot .38 Super (.38 Super +P) could reach certain power leves in shooting sports popoular at the time, (1980's-90's) and provide additional capacity over the .45, largely favored previously in those competitions.

I believe The Super suffered another heavy blow when the 9mm began to appear in +P and +P+ versions, largely equaling the velocity advantage of the hot .38 Super, in a larger variety of pistols. Sig made some Supers in the P220, about all others I can think of were 1911's and their clones. It remains a niche cartridge here in the US. I read it has some popularity in nations where military cartridges like the 9mm and .45acp are prohibited for civilians, South America for example (not a nation, granted).

I know what the difference is...........wait for it............I own a 38spl but not a 38 super! Lol

All you need to know :D:D

.38 Super is/was the cartridge favored by folks with huge compensators to reduce muzzle rise to about that of a .22 rimfire.
'Cause a .22 is what they really would like to use but won't admit it.
.38 Special is for folks who miss less.

Special has a rimmed case and operates up to around 21,000 PSI.

Super is a semi rimmed case for autos and runs up to 35,000 PSI.

The original Super load was a 130 FMJ pointed bullet at 1,280 FPS. Very high penetration capability. Now the Super is weak knee down loaded to less than 1,100 FPS because of older guns in 38 ACP not made for high pressures. My carry load in 38 Super is a 115 JHP at 1425 FPS.

I like the Super and have three of them.

Some say the Super is inherently inaccurate.

Could have fooled me...

standard.jpg

The main advantage of the .38 Special is that being (mainly) a revolver cartridge, it can be loaded/reloaded with a wide range of bullets and charges, from a "pop gun" wadcutter for pure target shooting to a pretty hefty load (in an appropriate revolver) approaching .357 Magnum. .38 Super, on the other hand, is used almost exclusively in auto pistols, so the range of loading is necessarily rather narrow.

Jim

Now the Super is weak knee down loaded to less than 1,100 FPS because of older guns in 38 ACP not made for high pressures.

Just curious, what .38 Super ammo is loaded to "less than 1,100fps"??

.38ACP is loaded less than 1,100fps (1040fps is the published spec with the 130gr bullet)

The cases are dimensionally identical, PRESSURES (and velocity) are NOT.

.38 SUPER (and its called Super because of the higher pressure and velocity compared to the .38 ACP round) is listed as a 130gr at 1275fps.

The .38 ACP was introduced in 1900, the .38 Super in 1929, and the Super has ALWAYS carried the warning not to be used in .38ACP guns.

Accuracy in .38 Super guns was "iffy" for a long time. One gun would shoot well, the next, not so much. This was eventually determined to be the result of the semi rim design, and the rather small area of the barrel used to headspace on. Competition shooters in the early 80s began having barrels made to headspace .38 Super on the case mouth, not the rim, and doing so proved to be the "cure". Headspaced on the case mouth, the Super is as accurate as any other semi auto round that headspaces on the case mouth.

There's never been a .38 Special in my kitchen (TV comedy reference).

I went to the gun counter of a sporting goods store and asked for a box of .38 Super.
The kid brings a box of .38 Special and says, "It fits all .38s . . . that's why it's special".

The auto pistol cartridge was called "Super .38" when it was introduced, and though virtually everyone now calls it ".38 Super", Colt barrels are still rolled with the original name.

.38 Super is the only cartridge marked "+P" that does not also have a non-+P load (an attempt to protect people who might put a Super round in their 100yo Colt .38 ACP).

"Super face" was a name applied to shooters who pushed their loads too hot, blew a case head and had their face peppered with brass fragments that came out the back of the slide. IPSC shooters were driving 115 grain bullets at well over 1500fps to generate more gas for their compensated barrels.

One researcher found that it was a couple of years before the ammo companies souped up the load to produce .38 Super ammo for the Colt Super .38 pistol. The gun was introduced for the same ammo as the old two-link guns.

Just to confuse, I now introduce the heavy duty .38/44 which certainly
was special! :D

Oh them late 1920s and early 1930s sure were hotsy totsy!

And then some guys over at S&W were enjoying
champagne from, reportedly, a very big big bottle. ;)

.38Super is what you get when .38Special ducks into a phone booth to change......

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Back