.38 S&W short cartridge question

"Developed from the earlier .38 Short Colt (for which I have not yet found a valid introduction date."

It's generally considered that the .38 Short Colt was introduced for use in Colt 1851 conversions.

The Rollin White patent expired in April 1869 so it's a good bet that the round was introduced in the 1869 to 1871 time frame.

sounds right, I could find how the .38 Short Colt was loaded with a heel type bullet and made for the 1851 Navy conversions, what I couldn't find was an introduction date for the cartridge.

Also what I found was that the .38/200 was the name Smith & Wesson used for the cartridge when loaded for the British.

A much respected uncle worked as a security guard for Bethleham Steel in Buffalo, NY after service as a CB on Guadalcanal & carried this revolver as part of his gate guard attire. He never had to use it at work but allowed me to shoot it down at the creek in town. It was the first revolver I ever shot...about 1955 or so...his son did time in Attica, east of Buffalo, and couldn't inherit the gun when old Bill died and it passed to me.

The target below was shot from 7 yards, slow fire, unsupported, from a Weaver Stance & with the original box of ammunition. Colt made some good revolvers back in the day.

Loading for it, I've found Bullseye and Win 231 to be good choices using my own cast Lyman #358156 without the gas check & sized 0.359"+. They're as accurate as the old Colt rounds. My loads are down around 700 fps, but that big wide meplat will do some damage up close.

Just some musings...some of these old, solid frame Colts and S&W's come up for sale occasionally, and many with good bores but neglected exteriors. They're fun to load for, and to shoot as well...Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
The .38 S&W will fit in some newer .38 S&W Special guns, if it will fit, shoot it. Won't heart anything.

Back