.357mag/.38 Spl Leverguns scarce these days!

The Rossi is just so rough.

Really???

That is what happens when you compare a $500 gun to a $1250 gun...the cheaper gun is usually rougher.

Lever Scout is a nice rifle...but I would rather have 2.5 Rossi 92's than one Lever Scout. YMMV

I bought my Rossi 92 - 357mag off of Gunbroker back in 2009/10. I looked for and found an Interarms pre-safety import gun. The gun was used and the previous owner painted the stocks black. It runs just fine with both 357mag and 38spl semi-wadcutters. It's, by far, one of my most favorite guns to shoot. Maybe the previous owner tuned it. Who knows?

Using mouse fart 38spl loads, it's suppressor quiet, no hearing protection required quiet.

I searched out this pre-Taurus ownership gun. Knowing what I know now, I'd have no issues with buying a Taurus ownership Rossi 92. Namely because:

https://stevesgunz.com/
Has all the parts and training to tune any Rossi lever action.

I get feeling that Rossi Lever Actions are imported in waves. There hasn't been a large importation of them in the past year. Moving factories would explain that.

I really appreciate Henry taking the time to debug their firearms before shipping. It seems to be standard practice to ship firearms, let the end user find the problems for six months, then recall and "upgrade". As much as I hate it, I have come to accept the reality if buying a new model of firearm.

As I said, I have 2 Rossi 357mags I bought NIB back in 2009. Yes, they needed the action slicked up but Steve's Guns $58 kit with DvD was the ticket and the second kit with just the parts was really cheap. Plus, I got 2 safety plugs to lose the stupid bolt safeties they came with. But after I slicked up the actions and lightened the triggers (a super simple task following his DvD) I was really happy with the performance and accuracy of both of mine. Best of all, I had less than $900 total in both of them.

They turned out to be so accurate that I decided I'd like better sights so on my rifle, so I added a Marbles tang, folding rear (added after picture below), and Lyman globe front sight which gives me a 30" sight radius and with the target aperture, I shoot at steel plates at 300yds with it. 6" steel plates at 150yds isn't difficult either and 8" plates at 200yds are a breeze; all with 158grn and Zero JSP bullets pushed by a full load of H110 or Lil'Gun powder out as fast as 1,976fps.

My 20" carbine got a Marbles semi-buckhorn rear sight and 1/16" brass bead front. Just for grins, I found a model 94 saddle ring really cheap (the 92's are stapled into the receiver) and so I d&t a hole and added it on. It's a real joy to shoot 8" steel at 150yds with it as well and with my 158grn full power loads running at 1,941fps. And, as many say, my carbine at only 5lbs 14oz, is a compact, lightweight joy to carry in the woods.

The 357mag is hands down the most efficient, versatile, and just plain fun caliber in a levergun you could come up with. Add a SAA (or in my case a SA Cav length pistol on your hip) and you've got a great field rig. From mouse fart 90grn to heavy hitting 158 or 180grn short range medium game rds you can handload for it, the 357mag is a 'must have' caliber.

My only complaint about mine were the stock finishes. Rossi's 'mystery wood' was finished in a dull, drab brown that cheapened the look of the rifles.

YfzGInc.jpg

HOWEVER, there is a simple fix that anyone can do to make your stock pop. WATCO Danish Oil, Medium Walnut is a staple around my home. It's great for addressing scratches in the woodwork and I have used it for many projects for decades. I decided that my Rossis could use a bit of it so I just cleaned the stocks of any oil, grease, or wax and then applied a coat right over their original finish. No, I didn't even sand them first as the original finish still left the grain open.

mHijge0.jpg

I think you'll agree that the WATCO made a dramatic difference! The color and depth of the wood is now enhanced significantly and once the WATCO cures, it's a very strong and durable finish that resists dents and cleaning solvents.

Now both my Rossis are standing tall, looking good, and shooting straight.

GZUA0J8.jpg

27AcT52.jpg

With over 4K rds through each, they have been super reliable, accurate, and just as much fun to shoot as when new. One caution though. Be sure to bring a lot of ammo for them as you'll not want to stop shooting them. Also, all of your friends will want to give them a try as well. In fact, the girls also love shooting them as they are so 'western' looking and so not like an AR.

New Winchester branded rifles manufactured by Miroku are available in .38/.357 lever actions. A bit pricey, but excellent quality. Very smooth actions, great shooters.

I couldn't be the first to announce the new Marlin .357s, I was asked not to.
But, now that word's out, you can see there's some fun stuff coming along. :)
Denis

Yes, fun low capacity ugly stainless and plastic stocks. GAG!

Give me a 20" barrel, walnut n' blued steel. Then we'll talk.

I don't need a tacticool operator suppressed lever gun. Thanks anyway, Remlin.

Well, I for one applaud the effort.

There will always be naysayers proclaiming that a gun isn't this or that. But at least the company is trying to satisfy the (heavy) demand for a given item. This is 1000x better than just hearing crickets IMO. Remember, other versions may be in the works so if there are aspects about the gun you don't like as currently presented maybe a little patience is in order. Just sayin'.

COSteve post #47 was excellent. I really like the one Marlin 357 I have and am the market for another to go with it. I am not particular either. A Rossi, Marlin or Henry would be just fine. If I had the scratch I would own one of each. The 357 rifle is just so much fun to shoot with everything from pop gun to full power loads. And the powder efficiency is one of the best you can get. Even full power loads only use about the same amount of powder as a 20ga shotshell.

I will have to say, I agree with Model12 100% that 1894 CST made me wanna vomit. A threaded barrel, plastic stocked lever gun?? L......O.....L reminded of that Tacticool Mossberg thing they made SMH. But it does look like things are coming. So I'll be patient and wait! And thanks to COSTEVE for the WONDERFUL post and pics. Very nice looking Rossi!! I'm a simple guy a basic 1894, Rossi 92, or a Henry with a Gate and I'll be happy. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Let me know when they actually ship...

'Marlin' has had a habit of cataloging things, and then not delivering...

Still waiting for the 1894CSBL to ship...

It's only been 6 years since it was cataloged...

Any day now...

I didn't like the lack of a side loading port on the Henry but after owning one for a while, for my uses it is great! No pinched fingers like with my Marlin 1895 GS.

I figure if I can't get what needs doing with 6 rounds of .357 magnum, I am probably in way over my head..........

4xszPpHl.jpg

I just began looking for my second Rossi R92. Looking for a 44 Mag 24" octagon. Just found out Rossi discontinued all 24" octagon barrel models in 2017. Guess what, now the $500 rifle is selling for $900 - if you can find one.
Chiappa has some really nice '92's that are the same $900 but better fit & finish.

Back