.357mag/.38 Spl Leverguns scarce these days!

There are several somethings good coming from Henry.
Imperato's very aggressively expanding his line-up.

It may take some time for the new stuff to get through the pipeline to dealers, but they're happening.

I had pre-pro samples of the two .410s, a single-shot shotgun & a single-shot rifle here.
The quality is built-in, just a matter of seeing how the market reacts.

The un-announced stuff will please a BUNCH of people.
Again- it'll take some time, but patience now should be rewarded later. :)

New variations in .357 in particular, and something else that'll filter in slowly to the general levergun line.
Denis

Yes, bring on the .410. The word is out and I've had more than one customer come in and specifically request the .410. COOL BEANS, I'm all calmed down now, LOL.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are all sorts of .357 mag lever guns on the market, brand new. The problem is, they're nice guns and cost a premium. Check Winchester....beautiful Miroku made rifles.

Gates pinch fingers and that sucks too but I'd gladly go for that over a tube.

If the gate pinches your fingers, you're doing it wrong! :D

And I know, I've pinched fingers for years with various Marlins and Wnchesters.

The solution is simple, and rather obvious, when you think about it. Don't push that last round in with your fingers! Use another round of ammo to do that, and you'll never pinch your finger in a loading gate again. (and, you don't need a lighter spring, either...;))

I've worked & played with leverguns for over 40 years.
I dislike the push-bullet method, I find about half the time the main round either goes in all the way or pops back out on the ground before I get the push-round into it.
Gave it up years ago, I'm too fumble-fingered.

On side-loading leverguns I've kept, I've had the gate lightened & the port edges honed.
Makes a huge difference.

On loaners, I invariably tear up my loading thumb with stiff gates & sharp edges during range test sessions where I may fire up to 150 rounds or more.
On ALL Henry tube-loaders in ALL calibers, it's ALWAYS been a pain-free loading experience. :)
Denis

You were told wrong.
Marlin is working on a re-intro of the .357, and you may be pleasantly surprised if what they have planned for it comes to be.

And.....don't give up on Henry.
Denis

Denis,

Thanks for that bit of encouragement. I'll wait a bit longer.

If you drill into Rossi's lever action section of their website a little more - click on any of the rifles they state:

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=163&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

The Rossi R92 Round Barrel delivers shorter, lighter versions of their big brothers with 16 or 20 carbine models. Available in .38/.357, .44 Mag., .45 Colt, .44-40 Win and .454 Casull. The R92 Round Barrel comes in two finish options - Blue and Stainless. All R92 Round Barrel models feature crescent buttplates and an extended front sight.

For brush hunting and wilderness packing, Rossi R92 carbine .454 Casull features optional magazine-tube loading and recoil absorbing butt pad.

While I have 2 Rossi 357mags myself, I was curious as to why Rossi's web page only showed R92s in 45 colt and also why 357mags are as scarce as hens teeth.

So, a few days ago I called Rossi CS and found out the following.

• Rossi said that they moved to a new Brazilian manufacturing plant this year which dramatically slowed / stopped production. Their CS department has been advised that shipments of their R92 rifles in 357mag, 44mag, and 45colt from the new manufacturing plant should commence late this year or 1st of 2018.
  • Further, they stated that Rossi has no plans to discontinue their current calibers and that once production is fully underway in the new facility, adequate stocks should be available to cover demand.
  • AS to their website only showing R92s in 45 colt, Rossi is also redoing their R92 website to update both the models and versions they will carry and give it a newer look and feel. That means that the current website is more of a placeholder rather than an indication of the calibers they are producing.

Of my pistol caliber lever actions, I prefer my Rossi M92 in .44 mag, with 20" round barrel. Light and handy. My Henry's better finished and shoot just as well, but the lightness of the Rossi just feels right.

Seems the only choice I have is a FACKIN Henry with that STOOPID tubular loading. IMHO that CRAP doesn't belong on ANYTHING CENTER FIRE!!! Its absolutely ridiculous on a big bore lever gun. Its clumsy and SIMPLY doesn't belong. If the Henry had a side loading gate I would have one already. I guess I'll look and see if Winchester or Browning is still producing something. If not, I guess I'll bend over and take it up the tailpipe on a used Marlin.

You might get lucky when you least expect it and run into a deal. In July of 2016 I went out to look at some Henry 357s listed online at a newer shop but stopped by an older store I used to frequent on the way.

I was surprised to see Marlin 1894 in 357 sitting in the rack! Gun looked almost new and was tagged at $489. Looks to be a 2008 model I still went to the other store to see the Henrys but I just kept thinking what a deal that was on the Marlin. I went back and asked what his best price was and after he said $459 I said "Lets do it!"

I later picked up a Henry earlier this year and while it is overall more accurate with all bullet weights there is a bore fouling issue and the loading tube is remarkably difficult to turn to remove.

Attachments

• marlin 357 lever.jpg
    marlin 357 lever.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 62
Thank you COSTEVE for the update, that's great news! 223shooter, that is a smokin deal on that Marlin. What is with the bore fouling issue on your Henry?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What is with the bore fouling issue on your Henry?

There is an area mostly near the muzzle where the copper fouling is really heavy. Henry sent me a return label so I am sure they will take care of everything.

Attachments

• henry bore.jpg
    henry bore.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 40
So this thread is very interesting and gives me lots of hope from some of the inside info. Being a New and adaptive company, Henry has done great things with new-to-them products i.e. lever action .410 when options have been limited, good, affordable single-shot guns, and options for straight-wall centerfire cartridges when other companies have dropped off in availability and/or quality. In noticing their brand picking up steam in recent years, I wondered when they’d introduce a loading gate model, as they obviously listen to customers and that is a major complaint many have. It will be interesting to me to see what products they introduce in 2018!!! I, for one, is certainly going to stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I just bought this in .357,
marlin_1894C.jpg

I would be really interested in a Henry with a loading gate.

Taylors Lever Scout

I have been a lever gun shooter for a few decades. So far the nicest i've ever owned is my Taylors lever Scout in .357. It is Italian made by Chiappa, and imported by taylors. Stainless steel, takedown!!!, comes with Skinner sights, a sort of over molded stock. Shoots and feeds well too.
Not to sould like a hater, but I will be delegatiny my Rossi 92 to safe back wall status, for a while now. Everything about the Taylors rifle is just sooo much nicer as to fit and finish. The Rossi is just so rough.

920.311.jpg

Back