.357 snubby for Self Defense ?

Arm hundreads of people with pistols that have mushy triggers and no safties and they accidently discharge on occasion, go figure...

Raygun more ND not AD as they are not accidental but negligent discharges have been logged with a revolver in police hands than semi auto's.
PAT

Sig lover boy, the issue is not semi-auto vs revolver. It is glocks having no external safties of any sort what so ever. If the cops in question would have had decent guns which actually had safties then the accidental discharges I mentioned most likely wouldn't have taken place.

Lets say the firing range instructor had reholstered a gun with a saftey on it... then if somthing snagged the trigger and pulled it it wouldn't have shot him. Things can and do snag the trigger on occasion, and it's an accident, not negligence. In your opinion is somthing snags the trigger of your gun and it discharges is it your fault or an accident? The fact is it's somthing you have no control over and it's an accident. Or maybe it is neglegence for buying a gun that has an easily snaggable trigger with no saftey of any kind?

I don't like any gun that doesn't have a saftey. They're just plain not safe. In my opinion glock is an inherently unsafe firearm.

I would like to smack the person that came up with the word negligent discharge. That infers some sort of reckless disregard for saftey. An accident is just that , an unintentional accident, you can be careful and it can still happen, it's called an accident for a reason...

Take care

Sig lover boy, the issue is not semi-auto vs revolver. It is glocks having no external safties of any sort what so ever. If the cops in question would have had decent guns which actually had safties then the accidental discharges I mentioned most likely wouldn't have taken place.

Their is no need for a manual safety. The safety should be between your ears and if you can't seem to keep your finger off the trigger when it should not be there you should not be allowed to handle a firearm period.
PAT

Tamara, well I lied. I do like guns without safties, I like revolvers. With a revolver you can always keep the first chamber empty and that acts like a saftey of sorts, no bullet no bang. I really just don't like auto loaders without safties, glocks.

In the future I'll be more specific, sorry... :-)

No bullet, no bang?

If holstering a DA revolver with an empty chamber under the trigger, and the holster strap catches the trigger, it would revolve a live round under the hammer and... *bang*! :eek:

The only revolvers that need an empty chamber under the hammer are SA guns with no transfer bar safety.

I have two other guns without safeties: a SIG P-226 and a Beretta 96D, so it's not just Glocks... ;)

A glock and almost any new auto or revolver will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. They have firing pin safety's transfer bars and all kinds of good safety's a manual safety is not a good thing but rather a hinderance.
PAT

Manual safties have their place, if only for the existence of curious children.

Sometimes the best of intentions can lead to the worst of circumstances.

Given the choice between a world with or without safeties (no exceptions), I'd have to cast my vote for "with".

Everybody's "careful"... until an accident happens...

-tubeshooter

Tamara and RailGun-
Just a bizarre story to relate.
I had a buddy who carried a Model 10. He kept the chamber to the right of the barrel empty. He figured if he or anyone else ever accidently pulled the trigger it would rotate the empty chamber under the hammer and go "click". No Harm.
If anyone ever got his revolver away from him and tried to shoot him with it he figured the loud "click" would startle the gunman and give him a chance to draw his backup "Chiefs Special" and drill the guy.
He regularly practiced drawing and snapping twice to get the first shot off. He was very quick. Also he was always conditioned to reload after five shots. He never snapped on a sixth empty when I was shooting with him.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool revolver fan. Smith & Wesson K-frames are my favorites. I carry either a 2" M-940, 4" M-10, 4" M-19, 3" M-13, or 3" M-66, on a very regular basis and have a 4" 625-3.
I also have and love my Kimber .45, Springfield 9mm, Browning HiPower, S&W M-39, I've had nine different Glocks, and a slew of .22 revolvers and autos and love them all.

Geez folks, can't we co-exist?

R V. A

I have both and I carry both. But I think it's fair to say that the gun I carry most often is a S&W 649 Bodyguard. As with Tamara, Mike Irwin, B. Shipley and others herein, I assess my activities based on what I'm doing and where I'm going. 75% of the time, I'm not going somewhere where it's likely to be an extended, long-range firefight and it's by far more important for me to be carrying a small, concealed, RELIABLE handgun which can protect me and mine, but which doesn't give the bad guy any advance notice that I'm carrying. The other 25% of the time, I'm carrying a larger revolver (Taurus 431 .44 or S&W 681-both 4")or an auto (Ruger P95) in a fanny pack. That's for when I'm going someplace I know is bad news.

For the record, I've never had an FTF/FTE with the Ruger and I've never had a jam with any of my revolvers. I, too, use the Stressfire technique in dumping and loading the round guns and it works great. I also once owned a Glock 27 which routinely failed to feed every 20-30 rounds, no matter what I did to the gun and to my technique. Others suggested I was limpwristing the gun or there was some technical problem with the gun. There was no answer which worked and I was extremely uncomfortable carrying it. Maybe someone else got it to go better for them, but it was NOT the gun for me.

Is there a perfect way to do things? No, because we can never really know when and where the bad guys will hit in advance. But we ALL do threat assessments and act accordingly. If we did not, some of us would never carry.

The perpetual disagreements about revolvers versus autos, .45 v. 9mm or .40 or .357 Sig or _____, one shot stops and so on are interesting in an academic sort of way, but the bottom line is this- revolver or auto, carry and use what you're comfortable with and what will work based on your situation and be done with it. The only bad choice is one in which the gun does not work for you.

"Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics!"

... more ND not AD as they are not accidental but negligent discharges have been logged with a revolver in police hands than semi auto's.

How many years have PDs carried revolvers? How many years have PDs carried semi-autos? Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges! Unless equal numbers of "carries" are applied, numbers of ADs (or NDs if you prefer) are meaningless.

As someone who works with statistics as part of his job, unless you quantify your sample populations, there can be no legitimate comparisons made.

Slisher

. And a firing range instructor shot himself in the leg while reholstering his gun. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The only time your finger goes on the trigger is when your eye is focused on your front sight. This clown who should have known better, screwed up and broke one of the cardinal rules of gun safety and shot himself in the leg. It's not the Glocks fault that the cop had a brain fart and fouled up. You can not depend on a mechanical device to make you safe, the real safety is between your ears. This dunce had his finger on the trigger when he reholstered his Glock and the gun went bang just like it's susposed to do. So what's the problem? The Glock worked like Gaston designed it to, the Cop forgot an elementary safety rule and shot his dumb self, and he's a Firearms Instructor, not at my agency, he wouldn't be.

7th

Manual safties have their place, if only for the existence of curious children.

YOur guns should either be in a safe or on your hip. There is no reason to have guns laying about when you have small children.

As for revolvers not jamming I have had misfires galore with revolvers. I have had bullets jump crimp and lock the gun up. I have had cases get caught under the extractor star. I have also had some revolvers run flawlessly. It depends on the gun not the type. Revovlers and autos are equal in the reliablity department.

As for keeping one chamber empty on a wheel gun thats stupid is as stupid does. YOur wasting a huge amount of time if you did this and it would get you killed.

There is a place for revolvers it to satisfy those in to nostalga or who cling to the past. Thats the same reason I own a colt cowboy and a Smith 610. When I want a blast from that past I fire them. When my life is on the line I grab one of my glocks.
PAT

355sigfan you're crackin' me up......I must be one nostalgic son-of-a-buck because I carry a 41 magnum in the woods that I bet my life on. Additionally, my S&W Mod 13 357 maggie shares equal time with my CZ 9 mike mike for house gun duties.
Yes, revolvers are alive and well, you just don't want to believe it. Revolvers are as effective today as they were 150 years ago. Check with me in the year 2050 and I bet fancy-smancy semi's will be pushin' up daisies, revolvers will still be in the history books, and the "handgun" of the day will be a deathray of some kind.

Originally posted by 355sigfan:

"YOur guns should either be in a safe or on your hip. There is no reason to have guns laying about when you have small children. "

True enough. There's also no reason for anybody unauthorized to go snooping around and messing with your firearms, but it happens.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anybody what to like/not like, and revolvers have been around (sans safety) for a long, long time. With care, any gun can be handled safely.

The point I was making was that what you may consider a hindrance might actually be an OK idea for a sizeable percentage of the rest of the gun-owning public. Your statement painted the topic with a mighty broad brush, and I just made a statement in response.

That's all. Have a good day.

-tubeshooter

355Sig

As noted earlier, from personal experience-

I'll trade that piece of crap Glock 27 I once owned for a 2 1/2" Model 19 ANY DAY!!

You've had your bad experiences with revolvers and I with automatics. So what. You made your choice and I made mine. Move on.

I'm a PROUD owner of a S&W 340PD Scandium .357 who has gone through much testing of ammo for carry in the kicking beast.

Full power stuff from Federal and GA - too much blast and recoil, ripped the skin off the back of my finger and my elbow hurt for a week.

Medium velocity Rem Golden Sabers - Recoil bearable, bullets were being pulled due to the light weight of gun. Not enough to lockup cylinder till 8 recoil pulses with a one hand grip so probably OK but I just didn't like the Saber design of no cannalure.

ProLoad 125g Tactical Lite - less recoil than Sabers, Big Gold Dot HP, no bullet pulling and good expansion and penetration in my highly scientific testing (2-liter plastic water filled coke bottles):

Cloth consisted of 1 layer of leather and 2 layers of denim:
3rd means bullet was retrieved in the 3rd water bottle:

No cloth Cloth
Saber Great expansion in 4rth Not great exp. 4rth
ProLoad Great exp. in 3rd Great exp. in 4rth
GA 38 +p GD No expansion 4rth
Fed Nyclad
38 158g HP No expansion 4rth

Kahr P9
Speer 124 +P GD Great exp. in 3rd Good exp. in 3rd

I trust the ProLoads

I haven't measured the resulting diameter of the retrieved bullets. I've got them marked in individual baggies laid out on a table for comparison. Gold dots are picture perfect - 6 petals.
Sabers through no cloth look real good and have these nasty sharp edges on the folded back jacket petals.

A Saber for the first shot followed by the Proloads would be good.

Don

LOL, I generally enjoy Pat's posts and he makes many good points. I also find myself wondering why he visits the revolver forum only to attack the viability of revolvers as defensive weapons. But...I have finally figured out the reason for his signature line, "I intend to go in harm's way". He means he intends to regularly visit the revolver forum.:D

I've got an old Security Six in SS with a 2 3/4" bbl. This was the one b4 the "gp" series. Great gun, Paid $100 for it. Even with the adj. sights it tends to shoot a bit to the right. Easy to carry, Fun to shoot, and when fed 125g. it shoots one ragged hole.:eek:

Back