.357 snubby for Self Defense ?

.357 Snubby

Back to the original topic, I have and carry a S&W
2 1/2 686. Great handgun ;) IMHO
That PC-13 sure is a beaut ;) I may have to search one of those out :)

1. Higher rate of accidental discharges.

2. Higher rate of accidental shootings causing injury or death.

3. MUCH higher rate of out-of-court settlements to compensate the victims.

This is simply bs. First off they are not accidental discharges they are negligent discharges which are the fault of the idiot behind the gun not the gun. Next more ND have been logged with revolvers than auto's in general. Most were from poorly trained police of yeasteryear who did thinks like thumb cock thier revolvers and leave their fingers on the trigger.
PAT

boring.gif
Has gotten kind of old Pat, still making statements without any substantial proof. I, for one, think it is time to close this thread and allow it to die a peaceful death!
buck.gif
Perhaps in the distant future we can reopen it, but I would like to think not!
pumpkin.gif

bob

Well, Pat, unfortunatly it's not BS, as you so "eloquently" put it.

Negligent discharge, accidental discharge, inadvertent discharge.

Whatever you want to call it, it all means the same thing.

The gun was fired UNINTENTIONALLY, resulting in a grievious circumstance.

The rate at which police firearms were fired UNINTENTIONALLY in Washington, DC, rose dramatically, based on DC's OWN records.

Trying to play with the terminology doesn't make it "bs," as much as you would like it to be.

I'll agree that more unintentional discharges have been logged with revolvers, given that the revolver was the defacto police sidearm of choice in the United States for over 100 years.

That's not, however, the point.

Oh, I don't know, BobR, I sort of like the Patifications. I have fun disassembling them. :D

"why the step back in technology..."

In some ways it isn't. Automatic advancing of material in a linear fashion is easier to do accuractly than in a rotary fashion. And preceeded the rotary feed systems.

Autoloaders are simpler than double action revolvers, both in concept and execution.

:) Ergo, autoloaders are more suited to simple minds ?:)

Sam

Let's not forget the unlimited selection of bullet designs a revolver will fire. (Try getting wad-cutters to feed reliably in a semi)

Fun! Let's not forget the overwhelming fun factor that revolvers provide in comparison to the over inflated seriousness of semiautos. :) :) Dennis

Is liking revolvers AND semis supposed to be mutually exclusive?

There is no perfect gun and revolvers and semis both have niches to fill.

Revolvers' niche in the SD equation is reliability, not capacity.
If you're going hunting for bad guys, you probably need a semi
if you can't guarantee one shot stops consistently.

I've never had reliability problems in a revolver that wasn't made by Colt.

Never had extraction problems in a revolver that wasn't .22LR OR made by Colt.

I like to carry a Thompson contender...I figure if the guy knows I only have one shot, I must be good and he'll leave me alone...

And who is this "harms" guy and why are you getting in his way?

nn63297.jpg

.357 Mag Ruger SP101
Weigland "Tame the Beast" conversion with hybra-port barrel
Weigland custom trigger job
Wolff reduced power hammer spring
Houge coco bolo mono-grip

with this revolver you can fire full house 125 grain Remington or Federal semi jacketed hollowpoints without pain and with a great deal of control.
Very concealable, very comfortable pocket rocket.

Pat, I forgot about this thread

You said:
Reliablity is the issue thats why I carry a glock not a revolver.
I would concur that the Glock is one of thee most reliable designs around. With my new G19, I had two double feeds sometime after the first several hundred(break-in) rounds had been fired. Both occurred with factory FMJ, which is the most reliable ammo you can cycle through an auto.:confused: FWIW, they also happened while I was using a standard(15rd) mag with the '9mm4' follower.

I have had revolvers missfire...
Just what sort of ammo was this? Was the piece overly gun-smithed, with weakened springs or a backed out strain screw? With factory fodder in a mechanically sound gun, this is non-existent.

..have the bullets jump crip(sic) and tie the gun up.
If you're not talking about the new S&W Ti revos and improper ammo(for use in them), then that's where I call B.S.:rolleyes:

I have had cartridge rims get stuck under the extractor.
Maybe so, but that is an issue with improper technique. It hasn't happened to me once I adopted Ayoob's Stressfire method(Have to give credit where it's due).

..plus revolvers jam every 6 rounds.
No comment needed.

There is a reason that no military and almost no LEO's use Revolvers as primary sidearms anymore. They have thier place as hunters, plinkers and as back up guns but they are not a viable choice for first line duty anymore.
What Mike Irwin said.:D

You are being chased by [insert bad guy].
You run into generic bedroom
You open generic dresser drawer
You see generic revolver and generic semi-auto
You have 1/2 second to turn and fire.
Which do you pick up?

Me Too.

Can I jump in here....ok, cool. I have a couple of different handguns. One of my favs is my Rossi 357 snubby....small
frame 6 shot. Very nice to shoot and carry. I also have
a CZ, Taurus 40 and a mini 9mm. I like them all. Every gun
I own goes bang when I pull the trigger...or I dont own them
for long. Dependebility is SUPREME...As I carry all of them at
one time or another. Glocks, Sigs, Berettas..are all nice and would
probably love to own more than one...except glocks...I cant get
used to the grip angle.
I will make my point. Shoot what you like, I am not make, brand, caliber or type biased. If I like a gun and it likes me back. That
is all it takes. Familiarity and dependability are the 2 things that
you need with your gun to save your life. Shoot well

Waitone

Suggest SP101, M640, M649, or M386PD.
Recommend R-P 125g SJHP (or one other high-end brand, natch).
Recommend considerable practice.
Suggest NP3 coating from Robar; no lube required.
Recommend more practice.

As for the "wheel vs auto" debate raging ever-so-logically around this thread, I'll just point out one thing: all guns jam.

Anyone able to argue that?

(Can you see my NY reload?)

I carry several different autos but occasionally I like to carry my 3" SP101 with the Federal 125's for a change of pace. I can generally get 5 shot palm sized groups at 7 or 8 yards firing all 5 shots double action. Your hand definitely knows it after a couple of cylinders full. I always have 3 speed loaders available for a (hopefully) fast reload. For a while I was carrying the 110's but I finally decided I was giving up too much in both bullet weight and velocity. I did put in a Wolff spring kit to reduce the trigger pull a tad. I just hope I never have to touch one or more off in a closed room. I've been eying the 3" S&W model 65 at gun shows and trying to decide if the extra shot is worth the extra size. I have confidence in the reliablity and strength of the SP101 and the power (and eyebrow singing muzzle blast) of the Federal 125 grn .357. If I knew in advance I was going into a possible dangerous situation I would certainly carry one of my higher capacity 9mm, .40, or .45 autos but for relaxed carry the SP101 suits me just fine.

WESHOOT2:
When you say all guns jam and ask anyone to argue I'll just say I have 7 9mm, .40 and .45 autos that NEVER jam. I wouldn't have them if they did. There were a few problems in the infancy of a couple of them that I pinpointed and resolved to my complete satisfaction, but 5 of them have never had a problem. I've shot them all enough to believe they are reliable and keep them cleaned and lubed properly. I make sure there's nothing around the firing pin area to contaminate primers. No WD40, etc. Of course the possibility of a bad round, whether it be factory or handload always exists but we're all playing the odds 24 hours a day. Revolvers can malf just like autos. But I'll still carry a gun instead of a sharp stick and I trust my 7 autos just as much as I trust my 2 revolvers. You can certainly minimize the odds of a malfunction in autos by dropping every round you intend to carry into the barrel (out of the gun) of the gun to make sure they chamber easily. It really doesn't take that much time and can increase the confidence factor immensely. I also check the crimp on the Federal 125 .357's and usually run them into the crimping die of my press to reinforce the factory crimp just a little bit. I've never had a bullet walk out and tie up the cylinder but I don't want to either. This step really gives me a boost in confidence when carrying the SP101 due to the severe recoil of the SP101 with the Federal 125's.

Last edited:
I've always been a wheelgun man. Fell in love with the 1911 later in life. As much as I love the venerable Colt auto, I still strap a trusty 3" model 66 to my hip regularly. Had it with me today, as a matter of fact.

This revlover vs auto argument is moot. Always has been. I'm quite confident with revolvers AND autos. The secret is to have enough range time with whatever you're carrying to KNOW that it is ultra reliable. All of my firearms are tested, and RELIABLE. Shotguns, rifles, and pistols. All of them go BOOM every single time.

Cheers,
Callahan

While we're on the subject of glocks...

In the Akron Ohio PD a police detective shot another police officer while working at his desk. And a firing range instructor shot himself in the leg while reholstering his gun.

Arm hundreads of people with pistols that have mushy triggers and no safties and they accidently discharge on occasion, go figure...

WARNING: Have brain in-gear when handling firearms!

The guns did not discharge themselves, the LEOs did.:rolleyes: The Glock trigger may be considered light, true, but this just as well could've(and probably would've) happened no matter what the firearm.

What was the dick' doing handling a gun at the desk? As to the instructor, that may very well have been an issue with the holster rather than any improper or lackluster handling. An officer I knew went to holster, and the rigid hammer strap wedged inside the trigger guard. When he pushed down on the gun to 'lock' it in the precision-molded rig, the trigger rolled back and boom!.:eek: Needless to say, the holstering technique had to be ammended just a bit.:o

Pittspilot, IMHO, your question is a bit misleading. Can we visually discern that the revolver is loaded? Do we KNOW that the semiauto is loaded, too, with one up the pipe? Are we familiar with the semi-auto safety? Is the safety on? Does it even have a safety? These questions become moot when you are carrying a semi-auto, and are familiar with its function and loaded status. If I have a S&W 686 and a Colt Govt. model cocked and locked on my bedside table, I'll grab whatever's closest to my right hand.

Back