357 magnum personal defense

Full size or Snubbie?

In my GP100 I have Remington 158 grain JHP. In my SP101 I have 38 special 125gtain FMJ, also from Remington.

I like the versatility having a .357 allows, magnum or 38 special.

op says for use in ruger gp100 4.2 inch stainless steel revolver

My GP100 in that length sees nothing but 357 cases, and for SD/carry gets purchased ammo in 357 Magnum. Since only the biggest guns are civilized with full power ammo, I rely mostly on Speer Short Barrel.

The GP100 is not the biggest gun. I can shoot most anything in mine, but it is not the ideal gun for the caliber. The Smith 627/27 has always been the main platform, and few choose to carry a gun that big (N-frame).

Heavier bullets give you better penetration when hitting things that are more solid. They also fare better in shorter barrels in that they relatively lose less velocity because of the shorter barrel than the high velocity rounds.
The 38/357 magnum works great at 158 grains. I use Hornady XTPs in 158 grain. People hunt deer with it. It'll work on self defense too.

Always .357 magnum. I have a Chiappa Rhino, so no problems with recoil.

Heavier bullets give you better penetration when hitting things that are more solid. They also fare better in shorter barrels in that they relatively lose less velocity because of the shorter barrel than the high velocity rounds.
The 38/357 magnum works great at 158 grains. I use Hornady XTPs in 158 grain. People hunt deer with it. It'll work on self defense too.

Always .357 magnum. I have a Chiappa Rhino, so no problems with recoil.

So many theories about this. A lighter bullet is not a "high velocity" round. The powder charge is reduced or remains about the same along with the lower bullet weight in order to perform better in a light weight, short barrel gun.

Yes, if someone is chasing velocity numbers, they may wind up with a round that is not good for much else, maybe a rifle.

Back