357 magnum personal defense

Silvertip?
Notice your link says "temporarily unavailable"? It's been that way for years.
Two years ago, I emailed Winchester asking when it would be made. They responded that they "might" make some the following year. Still none.

Since it sounds like none of those posting (myself included) have never actually shot someone, I would submit that virtually any .357 Mag ammo you use will do the job. (I am partial to hollow-points and use those) Therefore, find ammo you shoot accurately and stick with that. All this discussion regarding bullet weight or FPS is moot if you can't hit the target.

The most accurate loads I have ever found are my reloads. I don't have to wonder if the manufacturer is using a different powder or bullet or if there are any of that brand and type of ammo on the shelf because I load my own.
The Sierra 140 HP has always been available and I stock them in large quantity. The H110 is purchased in 8 pound kegs and I keep it stocked. I have a lot of the CCI 550 primers stocked as well. I will always have my best ammunition on hand. The fact that it is a bit faster than "off the shelf" ammo means very little but the fact that I can maintain 1 inch groups at 25 yards means a lot to me.

150gr WFN cast bullets

zcamera-20170129_172527_zpsuwtte0sr.jpg

I have participated in the great "Self Defense Ammo Parade of Stars" and have come to the conclusion that the ammunition manufacturers are never at a loss to recreate another "magic bullet" built "more lethal and CNS stopping than the other guys." To prove their ammunition is better, it's more expensive. I can tell you from experience, about 99% of my SD ammo is still in boxes. Never used for self defense, only testing for functionality.

At the range I see many older people with new concealed carry licenses and shiny new pistols carrying boxes of self defense ammo. Some of them have never shot a gun before, even in CCW class. Many of these shooters are quite surprised by the power of the ammunition on the first shot. Sometimes its the second or third shot that hits the ceiling (as the firearm pitches up in the shooters hand while simultaneously squeezing the trigger). :eek:

If I was to guess who it was who helped the new CCW holder select their weapon and ammunition I would guess, a gun store employee. Probably the same one who sold the new gun owner on the idea that the gun needed the $400 laser sight which would "really get the bad guy packing!"

So instead of having a pleasant shooting experience with a suitable firearm and appropriate training ammunition, the new CCW/shooter encounters a horrible and expensive experience.

My advice to new shooters is to load one round in the magazine the first time on the firing range. No surprises. No double taps.

There are no bad loads in 357.

Just choose the one most accurate in your gun, because what others choose doesn't really matter.

Here's a recoil calculator.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Recoil is the product of mass (of the bullet, the powder, the gun) and the velocity of the bullet. That is the objective part.

Felt recoil is more subjective. Some guys seem to have iron hands while others (like me) are fairly recoil shy.

There are a few ways to handle felt recoil.

First good ear and eye protection. You'd be surprised at the number of people get over recoil once the flash and bang is handled.

Second is fit. If the gun doesn't fit your hand well it can increase the feeling of recoil. Luckily there are a host of grips available for revolvers so fixing fit shouldn't be a big problem.

Third is padding. whether you use a shooting glove or soft rubber grips, padding between you and recoil will help a lot. I like Pachmayr grips myself.

Fourth is training. There is no substitute for lessons and practice.

And finally there is mass. The greater the mass of the firearm the less effective recoil. That's just math.

The 125 grain .357 has massive knock down power as well. Many on the street (cops and narcs etc.) reported a "bolt of lightening" effect in those hit with it, and it was rated a near-100% one shot stopper by Marshall & Sanow. No finer a fighting revolver load has there been made.

I would note that Speer Short barrel sort of splits the difference (between 125 and 158) at 135 gr.
It is also more of a hot 38 than a 357 load.

What 38 load with the same bullet achieves the same velocity? What 38 is rated to handle comparable pressure levels?

If the pistol is used for home defense...I would load-up with a good 38 Special load --- Because if you're not wearing hearing protection --- A 357 magnum load, I've heard, will cause your eardrums to bleed, if fired in an enclosed space.

Erno86 If the pistol is used for home defense...I would load-up with a good 38 Special load --- Because if you're not wearing hearing protection --- A 357 magnum load, I've heard, will cause your eardrums to bleed, if fired in an enclosed space.

HOGWASH!
A 357 fired without hearing protection will eventually cause hearing loss but so will any other gun. Firing the gun once without hearing protection will likely make your ears ring.

If the pistol is used for home defense...I would load-up with a good 38 Special load --- Because if you're not wearing hearing protection --- A 357 magnum load, I've heard, will cause your eardrums to bleed, if fired in an enclosed space.

You heard wrong, unless of course you get shot in the ears. It is loud :eek:.

I still didn't see what handgun is going to be used. Any standard velocity load in, say a S&W 340 would have brutal recoil, while if the gun were, say a Ruger GP100, the recoil would be a kitty-cat.

If you have a lightweight gun, use a lower velocity 357 load such as the Speer Gold Dot 135 short bbl, or the lower velocity 38 Spl load.

Have hearing protection available for anyone in the area (except the bad guy, of course;)

Chris,

You never said what make & model & barrel length are you thinking of using 357 mag ammo.

There are some very smart people here who would taylor their answers to fit your weapon .

So????

You heard wrong, unless of course you get shot in the ears. It is loud .

I personally have experienced a 357 being discharged in a small room. It was sound for just a couple of milliseconds, then I was deaf for a few minutes. I could not tell if it was loud or not.

Outdoors, they are extremely loud.

I would note that Speer Short barrel sort of splits the difference (between 125 and 158) at 135 gr.

It is also more of a hot 38 than a 357 load.
"What 38 load with the same bullet achieves the same velocity? What 38 is rated to handle comparable pressure levels?"

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=109

Speer shows the 125 gr in 357 Magnum minimum substantially higher than the Buffalo Bore, rock-em-sock-em 38 Special.

I've always figured that if I need to fire my .357 LCR in the hallway of my house at night that I really, really need to make the first one count, because I'm going to blind and deaf for a period of time afterward.

Back