.357 Magnum, 110 grain JHP, OK defense round?

I am really liking the 110gr Gold-Dots. everyone touts the 125gr "standard", your talking a 15gr difference folks. A potential attackers isn't going to stop and say "gee, thank god it was only 110gr and not a 125gr, then i'd be in trouble"

I thnik it's the BEST choice for a sub 2" barrel

Better the 110 gr JHP than a 25 ACP. Concentrate on hitting the target and remember, no hand gun bullet is guaranteed to deliver a dead right there effect.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what round you specify, somebody will tell you it isn't good enough to change a bad guy's mind about taking your wallet.

If you fire a fully loaded .357 110 gr bullet that expands well, or even comes apart, it could very easily incapacitate an attacker faster than a heavier bullet that may or may not bring about a faster death. Whether its a really big hole that only goes half way through, or a smaller hole that passes all the way through, the recipient will likely not know the difference. That would be, of course, if I accepted the premise that a fully loaded 357 110gr from an unspecified barrel length is not capable of putting a hole through both sides of the bad guys winter coat while is wearing it.

I thought the 110 gr Winchester round was great for practice, until a couple boxes into it... I discovered it was cutting the top-strap above the cylinder gap (big time on a S&W 686 w/6" bbl).

The bullet doesn't have enough mass and gets moving before most of the powder gets ignited. At the time, it was loaded with ball powder. And the (mostly) unburnt powder bead blasted my top-strap (and possibly eroded the forcing cone). Just a little more bullet mass and the problem goes away.

Could lighter-faster bullets mated to appropriate propellants cure the forcing cone erosion problem?

I believe so. That bullet weight is commonly used in the 38 Special (+p) without these problems.

For SD, I do want to reach the vitals, therefore use a 125 gr or heavier. Typically, I like the 140 gr weight.

I clocked that Winchester factory round out of my 6" GP100. It went 1364 fps or 454 ft/lbs.

This is far from a max charge.

Using a 125 Speer Gold Dot and H110 powder I was able to launch it out to 1647 fps or 750 ft/lbs

I think the white box load would be perfect for light weight carry guns. Compressed handloads are best left to rifles and heavy revolvers.

My advice is that if you do use it, watch the underside of your top-strap for cutting (unless you don't care about cosmetic damage).

It would depend on your placement the first time, and then there after to stop the onslaught danger. Think I would prefer a .45 ACP instead for energy.

110 grain HP

In my research I kept reading about Hornady 110 grain HP 38 P+ that might
do the job you're looking for. Are you using a 2" or 4"+ barrel? Makes a big difference. If 4" I'd stay with 357 125 grain or 140 grain HP. In my rookie experience I use the 38 spec P+ or Speer 140 grain 38P+. in my 2" 357.

In my brand new Ruger GP100
4.2" barrel I use a 357 mag load with relative ease 125 grain to 158 grain.

So, what are you shooting?

The angle in which the arm is pointed makes it so you have to penetrate about 6" of the BGs arm before even entering the torso at all.
That's been repeated several times in the thread, but reality is an arm isn't as wide as a chest, and can't possibly cover it all.

Most "extended" arms are closer to shoulder level, leaving a lot of the torso exposed below

Also, most of the vital area of the torso is comprosed of lung tissue, so the comment about "filled with air" is pretty accurate.

Back