350 Legend

For the young/smaller shooter/hunter dont forget the 77/357 for deer to 100 yrds or so.

If you want to shoot smaller critters can always shoot 38 special. Im not sure if 77/357 fits all the goofy state laws for deer.

My 77/44 does a real job on MI deer, even the big ones in the section that causes all the trouble w/ allowed calibers.

Id have a 450 BM(in my AR) if I didnt have the 77/44... Recoil/noise esp, would be considerably more in the 450 BM, AR.. I suspect.

My reloading issues aside, the 350 is a great round. Just enough to meet legal definitions and still kills deer out to 200.

I have the Winchester XPR which has a fine albeit heavy 3.5lb MOA trigger. It shoots the factory 145’s sub moa. It weighs 7.5lbs scoped.

Zoo, some of my plinking loads are running such low pressures that a gas gun can’t cycle. Prime example, I have a couple .300blk rifles as well. With a 86gr Hornady bullet and full case of Trailboss, it doesn’t come close to producing enough pressure to cycle the bolt. Now standard pressure stuff, I don’t doubt the .350Lengend cycles reliably.

Ain't a 'legend' yet. :rolleyes:

Still not enough years in the woods and cornfields to prove itself as the 'ultimate' deer cartridge.

Ain't a 'legend' yet. :rolleyes:

Still not enough years in the woods and cornfields to prove itself as the 'ultimate' deer cartridge.
I honestly dont see it as being a long term success as a deer cartridge. I think it will have more staying power as a sub sonic AR cartridge.

I do not own a .350 rifle, but have been thinking about getting an upper in the chambering, not for hunting but for having a relatively easy case for reloading a .35 caliber bullet that is the same as what I load in my .38's and .357's. For 300 yards and under, I think .350 beats the snot out of .300 BLK and 7.62x39. Anything over that distance and it's either 5.56 for combat or .308 for hunting.

Only reason I don't have anything in .350 is I'm waiting to see if this cartridge gains a following or if it ends up being a straight walled .35 Remington.

Only reason I don't have anything in .350 is I'm waiting to see if this cartridge gains a following or if it ends up being a straight walled .35 Remington.

It does have the full recipe for disaster.....aka 7mm WSM, but it also brings a lot of positive to the deer fields.

PRO’s:
-200 yd max
-state laws define its demand
-reasonable weight bullets for game being hunted
-low recoil for people like me, women, children...I love 458 Lott, but I’d prefer less recoil
-variety of rifles, ammo and components available

CON’s:
-Reloading with new Win brass can be hit or miss
-Powders H110, 296, Enforcer have reputation for volatility
-People are doing weird crap with bullets not intended for 350 Legend then claiming good, bad, etc results
-AR15 folks reporting hit & miss feeding

So, I think recoil for killing power will make this a success in the wooded states.

I killed a lot of deer with a 35 Remington. A 200 gr bullet at 2100 FPS. This new round should push a 180 gr bullet about 2000 FPS. It should work just fine for deer. One interesting thing is that, having no case shoulder, it headspaces on the case rim. Will that be a problem? I wonder.

I killed a lot of deer with a 35 Remington. A 200 gr bullet at 2100 FPS. This new round should push a 180 gr bullet about 2000 FPS. It should work just fine for deer. One interesting thing is that, having no case shoulder, it headspaces on the case rim. Will that be a problem? I wonder.
No more nor no less problem than the multitude of other cartridges that head space the exact same way. Most people can reload just fine for them. Some people wil not be able to figure it out to save their life.

Reynolds, you are probably right. But...does a straight wall rifle case stretch? If so, then case trimming will have to be precise. I don’t trim pistol cases, but I do trim all of the rifle cases, and truth be told, I’m not that precise at it. But, if a straight wall rifle case doesn’t stretch, then it doesn’t need to be worried about.

Reynolds, you are probably right. But...does a straight wall rifle case stretch? If so, then case trimming will have to be precise. I don’t trim pistol cases, but I do trim all of the rifle cases, and truth be told, I’m not that precise at it. But, if a straight wall rifle case doesn’t stretch, then it doesn’t need to be worried about.
I guess at some point in time its theoretically possible they would stretch enough to cause a problem, but I have never seen it. I have reloaded some 45-70 and 444 Marlin cases 20 times without trimming them. (I throw them away at 20 and I know the .45-70 is not an exact comparison) An old man I shoot with claims he has loaded some 45-70 over 80 times without doing anything except annealing the case mouth every few shots. I have no reason to doubt him. He loads to trapdoor pressures, I load to Ruger #1 pressures.

Last edited:
The exceptions have been with handloaded experiments with overly blunt bullets wherein the overall length was also excessively short.

I bought one for hunting in this coming deer season on the AR platform.
I bought it because I have been hunting with a 300 blackout pistol in public woods.(all the regs will allow) But it doesn't give me enough stopping power. My shot deer run off to be shot by another hunter before they have time to expire. I needed a round that has enough power to stop a good sized deer not wound them & wait for them to die.
I'm starting to reload & I'm starting to notice the problems everyone is talking about. I haven't started to load heavy gr weights or any .357 dia rounds so it looks like I may be seeing more problems.
One of the problems I'm starting to have is some of the brass has crimped primers & I don't have a center pin to fit the 350 legend cases for my RCBS bench primer pocket swager. I have been cutting them out with the pocket ream but would like to swag them to keep the extra metal in the base area.

Last edited:
I bought one for hunting in this coming deer season on the AR platform.
I bought it because I have been hunting with a 300 blackout pistol in public woods.(all the regs will allow) But it doesn't give me enough stopping power. My shot deer run off to be shot by another hunter before they have time to expire. I needed a round that has enough power to stop a good sized deer not wound them & wait for them to die.
I'm starting to reload & I'm starting to notice the problems everyone is talking about. I haven't started to load heavy gr weights or any .357 dia rounds so it looks like I may be seeing more problems.
One of the problems I'm starting to have is some of the brass has crimped primers & I don't have a center pin to fit the 350 legend cases for my RCBS bench primer pocket swager. I have been cutting them out with the pocket ream but would like to swag them to keep the extra metal in the base area.
Which brand has crimped primers?

Only three companies make .350 ammo: Winchester, Federal, and Hornady. I can't see any reason they'd crimp the primers.

Crimped primers is a minor problem for re-loaders who really ought to be using Starline brass anyway. The .350 is very young, it seems to have some teething issues, they will improve with time.

Back