350 Legend

reynolds357

Anyone have one? Observations about it?

I want one to hunt moose at 1,100 yards..... Just kidding, I want one just to play with and maybe let my 9 Year old hunt with.

I've kicked around the idea of getting something in this chambering but just have a hard time justifying it. I think it's definitely a niche round.

As you probably know, it was dveloped primarily for those states that prohibit hunting with bottle-necked rifle rounds. And my conclusion is that this is really the only scenario that would justify my acquisition of one. Otherwise, there are just too many other (and in many cases better) options.

If you want low recoil and a MSR platform, then I would look at something chambered for 6.5 CM or 300 BO. Personally, my son had great success at a young age hunting deer with an AR15 chambered for 5.56/223. (Check your state's laws regarding minimum caliber for deer hunting.)

If you just want a bolt gun with low recoil for deer, then I'd go with something like a 22-250 (if legal in your state), a 243, a 6.5 CM, or a 7mm-08.

Of course this is all my opinion and it may only be worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
I've kicked around the idea of getting something in this chambering but just have a hard time justifying it. I think it's definitely a niche round.

As you probably know, it was dveloped primarily for those states that prohibit hunting with bottle-necked rifle rounds. And my conclusion is that this is really the only scenario that would justify my acquisition of one. Otherwise, there are just too many other (and in many cases better) options.

If you want low recoil and a MSR platform, then I would look at something chambered for 6.5 CM or 300 BO. Personally, my son had great success at a young age hunting deer with an AR15 chambered for 5.56/223. (Check your state's laws regarding minimum caliber for deer hunting.)

If you just want a bolt gun with low recoil for deer, then I'd go with something like a 22-250 (if legal in your state), a 243, a 6.5 CM, or a 7mm-08.

Of course this is all my opinion and it may only be worth what you paid for it.
I agree with you. He actually has a 7-08 he has killed several deer with. I was just thinking about Ruger Ranch with the obnoxiously big brake you can get it with. I believe it would be a fun gun. I have a 300 Blackout. Never shot a deer with it but thoroughly un-impressed with it on hogs.

Oh, I'm with you it being a fun one to have. And I suspect it's a chambering that will be around for a while.

I recently posted about the 350 Legend vs the 6.5 Grendel because I'm looking for a deer rifle for my son. Forget the 350 and go for the 6.5 Grendel. After looking into each one I found the 6.5 Grendel offer less recoil, better ballistic coefficient & sectional density and ammo is more available. I just ordered a Howa miniaction barrelled action, 20" #6 barrel, from Brownell's. I plan on mounting it in a Boyd's Spike Camp stock in Shady Camo. 6.5 Grendel is the way to go.

just my opinion

I have a buddy who has a 350 legend in a Ruger ranch rifle and shot several deer with it.

He was pleased with accuracy and bullet performance on deer.

I bought a Midway 18" ar barrel last week just last week. So far function has been 100% and accuracy with Winchester 180 gr bullets and reloads seen promising.

Have not had time yet for the official benchrest testing or to cast any bullets.

I was worried if cast bullets would work on deer, but after thinking for a while I remembered that millions of buffalo were killed with a 45/70 or similar.

Buffalo might weigh 1000# on average
Deer might struggle to average 200#

Sure the bullet is smaller but the deer is a lot smaller than a buffalo.

I think it's gonna work just fine on deer.

I see tons of 350 Legend ammo on the shelves here in Iowa. We were one of the target states for this round, straight wall rifle cases only. Most guys bought or built 450 Bushmasters for two years before 350 Legend came out. Every 450 I've built or observed functions smoothly through AR actions and shoots sub-MOA at 100 yards. The same cannot be said for the 350. It doesn't sell well around here.

It is a great way to get a bolt action rifle of reasonable recoil in your hands and meet all these freakin OH laws!

I really like my XPR and it puts the cheap factory 145gr plinking stuff under 0.75” at 100 yds.

I thought great, I’ll reload for it. This has been a full blown struggle. High pressure, blown primer, ultra high velocities, cases destroyed in one use!

At this point, I’m 90% sure I is the Winchester brass combined with some kind of possible ignition issue.

So I ordered Starline brass....waiting.....still waiting....still wait some more...more...like 2 months now waiting on brass. I’m also gonna try Winchester bullets.

Hmm!

If you are thinking AR15, ask around. Many folks are having cycling issues....

Enforcer, H110 and 296 driving the Hornady 170gr using CCI 400’s

At book loads, the case head expands and the primer falls out.

When you say "book," are you going over 27gr H110/W296 w/ that 170 Hornady ?
(and what barrel length/velocity at the load you are using?)

FWIW: 180gr SPEER HotCores sized to 0.357 did just fine.

350-Legend-Speer180-FP-Std-Ld-sm.jpg

I've not found much pressure differential effects between a coupla thousandths -- if it chambers, it shoots.

Cast I run 357/358 all the time.

Again, though: What were the OPs load components/weights that resulted in excess velocity/pressure?

I should probably interject.

I know that without a doubt 350 Legend worked great out of two AR rifles. All manner of Winchester and Hornady that I'm aware of were tried. One was a 18" AR with a carbine length gas tube and the other a 12.5" equipped with a pistol length gas tube.

The 18" had 300 AAC feed ramps, the 12.5 had what I'm pretty sure was 450 Bushmaster feed ramp.

I highly recommend the round in AR platforms for under 200 yards and maybe even a little beyond if you know what you're doing. Definitely hard hitting and no worries about you or somebody else accidentally shoving in a 300 mag and blowing themselves and rifle up.

Last edited:
Now I’m tossing around the idea of a Legend in a bolt action. Mainly for 2 reasons: 1. It doesn’t care about pressures to cycle reliably. 2. I’m lazy and hate chasing brass lol. Seriously though, I’m thinking about the legend and using some cast bullets with Trailboss would be stupid cheap fun and a armadillo slayer.

1. It doesn’t care about pressures to cycle reliably.

I wasn't blowing smoke here. I don't know what the other posters were doing with their AR platform rifles and/or 350 ammo but I've observed that 350 Legend cycles perfectly reliably in AR platforms.

Back