338 RUM - Need opinions.

Well, I got my stock from B&C. I need to relieve the barrel channel, which they note might be necessary in their instructions. Waiting for a response to my email to verify. I am having difficulty finding load data for the 270 ELD-X. Hornady has not published any that I can find. Hate working only from QuickLOAD. But...start low. And burn a lot of powder.

Meanwhile, I'll hijack my own thread with a photo of my distraction from this project. This one is for a Winchester M70 220 Swift, another somewhat outrageous cartridge.

Attachments

• Finished mytle.jpg
    Finished mytle.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 24
The B&C should be easy to machine since they use what looks like some kind of injection plastic/polymer foam stuff. I bedded mine to make it more rigid and get a better fit to the vanguard action. That's a great looking stock for your M70.

If it's any help--I had very good results in my 338 LM using around 93 gr of LRT in combination with the 270 eld x

Thanks. B&C recommends good old dowel and sandpaper. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm just griping about Hornady. They haven't even updated their online data. I have seen some anecdotal data on other forums, but we all know where "saw it on the internet" gets you. I plan to load 5 rounds at a time very cautiously and get a feel for its performance, check QL against my results, and work from there.

We shall see what Hornady has to say, but (head slapper) I turned the page to 338 Lapua, and the 270 (and 285) are listed. Guess they figure the long range guys will be shoot Lapua. Weatherby and RUM stop at 250. They may tell me to use the Lapua numbers, but I'll wait to hear it from them. According to QuickLOAD, the Lapua case is 108 gr water, the RUM 110. I thought the Lapua was bigger.

PS: The B&C stock was easy. I cheated and used a rasp to rough it, then sandpaper. I like the stock. We'll see how it shoots.

Maybe the LM does have more "available" space (and maybe it's rated a stronger case as well) or maybe the RUM chamber/freebore limits the bullets as well as possibly the twist. From what I've read the 338 RUM and LM are virtually ballistic twins.

I checked QL--the COL does seem to be the factor that results in having to seat the bullets deeper--though maybe you can exceed that but I suspect there's a good reason hornady left the bigger bullets out. The .338 LM can go to 300 gr bullets.

Other makers, Sierra for instance, include loads for 300 gr match bullets in their 338 RUM data. Hornady's COL for their 270 Lapua load is <3.6, not substantially different from the RUM spec. Hornady states that they developed the 270 and 285 ELDs specifically for the Lapua, but I have seen a number of anecdotes of folks loading the 270s in the RUM. It's kind of a poor man's Lapua or 340 Weatherby. I have had excellent results with 178 and 212 ELD-X in 300 H&H, so I have high hopes for them in RUM. Hornady does publish data for their 230, which I also have. Too much fun.

Berger 300 gr elite hunter left, .223 cartridge center and 285 gr eldm right. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpg
    IMG_9077.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 119
The biggest hurt is on your wallet. It didn't take me very long to go through an 8 lb jug of H1000. Now I can't find the stuff anywhere. I just got in a couple of pounds of VV N170--a powder I haven't tried before and am curious to see how it works. As soon as my XTR II gets back from Burris (had a ring seal break and they jumped right on it and fixed it no charge) I'll give it a whirl.

Last edited:
Finally heard from Hornady: "Sorry, we don't have any data". I guess it's a pretty small market. Oh well, I'll figure it out. As to a "mission" for this rifle, it's a potential replacement for my 8mm Mag. That round is just about extinct (too bad, I like it), and good bullets are less abundant than 338s. Back in the real world, next fall I'll be using a 7x57. Haven't (yet) completely lost touch with reality.

Relax. It will all work out.:) Did you talk to Hornady's actual ballistics guy? He's very knowledgeable and should be straightforward in response to your questions. My Burris scope comes back today and I intend to put some rounds through my 338 LM to rezero it--I have 270's, 285's and 300's on hand and would be happy to try out a load for you. The only questions I have in mind is what is your rifle's twist and what is your max COL where the 270 eldx engages the lands.

Not trying to hijack your thread ligonairebill--my Burris XTR came back today and I thought what better way to celebrate then to stick it on my savage 110 338 LM and get it re-zeroed. And I thought I'd try to help you a bit at the same time if possible. ;) Problem with a cartridge like the 338 LM is that it's a overkill for most anything game-wise--at least where I live which is the most heavily forested state in the lower 48. So I tried to "download" for the 270 eldx thinking that it would be practical for "reasonable" long range hunting. I picked 93.3 grs of LRT and seated the 270 eldx to 3.752"--making it about .03" from engaging the lands. I couldn't get out to a good target distance due to construction gear in the way so had to settle for a close-in 119 yds--I normally zero the rifle at 300 yds. I loaded two 230 eldx's which were the last in the box to get on paper and then fired 8 cartridges of the 270 eld's. The first shot of the 270 eldx landed a bit high and right--the next was a bit low and left. The remaining 6 shots made a ragged hole which measured a bit under .5 MOA. Since I had completely cleaned the bore I think it took a few shots to foul the bore in (Savages are notorious for needing that). Shot 4 blew the target dot off.

attachment.php

Honestly, the felt recoil was IMO under that of a 30-06--a very "light-touch" load. Nonetheless, according to ballistic calculations for this particular load in my rifle it leaves the muzzle at around 2,600 fps and carries over 4,000 ft lbs of energy and is still going over 1500 fps with over 1400 ft lbs of energy at 1,000 yds--which is more than twice the distance I'd consider shooting any game with any rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_9113.jpg
    IMG_9113.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Nice shooting. Midway had "bulk packaged" 300 SMK on sale, so I bought some. However, I ran a completely different bullet yesterday: 210 Barnes TTSX. Per Barnes, Re-25 is the way to go, and I have an 8 lb jug. They got 3,185 at max with a 24" barrel. My 26" did right at 3,200/11.1 Std. The scope was set for heavy bullets, so I did not really get a group. But if this is to be a hunting rifle (it is), then this may be my load. I'll still play with the heavies, though. Much fun!

210 gr sounds pretty light--should have no problem anchoring your game out to 1,000 yds and beyond I would think. The 338 does OK in smaller cartridges--but I think it really shines in the big magnums where you can push the super high BC bullets.

You certainly need the big pills to reach way out, but the 210 at 3,200 can be sighted to run within 3" of point of aim to 310 yards. It will remain above 2,000 fps to 650 (with a 4' drop); beyond that expansion would be iffy. But that's farther than I would ever shoot at game.

I am still working the 270 ELD-X and now the 300 SMK.

Back