338 Lapua vs.300 Weatherby

Yep, you're well situated with the 257 and 300. I personally like the 7mm Weatherby. The 338 will be a beast for muzzle blast and recoil, not withstanding the exorbitant cost of ammo.

Reynolds by the time you got to an elk that you shot from mountain to mountain might get dark and you could end up with skin and bones once you got to the next county :D

pwillie,

Well now, I think that was a might uncalled for. I wrote nothing about being some sort of "purist." I did point out that your question regarding two calibers on DEER was like asking which sledgehammer was better for driving a tack. The deer is the part of the equation that really isn't going to find one bit of difference being on the receiving end of either round, even with neck shots. Seriously, dead is dead, and both rounds are more than capable of turning the binary state of a deer from "alive" to "dead."

Maybe another analogy might help....

Some folks like Corvettes, and some folks like Vipers, but if someone asked me which one was the better grocery getter I'm going to recommend the Corvette because you can buy one for less money than a Viper. But some folks just love speed and horsepower, and want the most powerful and fastest grocery getter they can. More power to them, I'd love to have a Corvette in my garage too, but I wouldn't buy one for a grocery getter (I just can't justify the cost to myself, I'm cheap).

Analogies aside, you asked. I gave you an honest answer, the 300 Wby, and if you got a little hurt about that well, I can't really say "I'm sorry" since I haven't done anything to be sorry for.

Jimro

reynolds357 said:
It seems like here lately it is a sin to want to use anything larger than a .30-30 to hunt anything.

The 338 Lapua is an excellent Elk rifle. My Elk rifle is a 416 Rigby Ackley improved necked down to .338. It is about 3% stronger than the Lapua. It is nice to have too much gun instead of not enough when you need to shoot from mountain side to mountain side.

No not a sin at all to want to use something bigger than a .30-30 for hunting. However, tell me what difference there will be using a .338 LM vs. .300 Weatherby mag on white tail deer? My guess is if you shoot both rifles with the same amount of accuracy, you'll have equally dead deer.

My point was in my first post is I don't think you'll see a more dramatic reaction by the game when the bullet impacts. Especially now that I know the OP says he likes to take neck shots given the opportunity. With a neck shot or any other CNS hit I'd wager that a bullet impact from a .243 Win at 600 yards gets 99.9999% the reaction of a .338 LM hitting the same spot on a deer.

Obviously pwillie wanted to buy a .338 LM, his justification was "Sendaro" hunting. He didn't get the answer he wanted and was upset, because what is the .338 LM going to do differently than his current rifles? However, if he'd had said I want to buy a .338 LM, I can afford it, and I have a place that I can shoot long range with it he might have got more of the replies that he wanted. I'm sure more than a few of us would have said go for it.

What was fun about this whole thread is when pwillie replied with his "MOM! Billy is picking on me!" attitude. I don't know what kind of response he'd get on any other forum with the response he posted. Who knows he may not be as upset as we think, he might be having fun stirring things up as well and we are the ones falling for it.

Both are very flat shooting with enough energy to break every bone in a whitetails body. With that in mind, I'd say the 300 Bee. Lower recoil and cost would be the main reasons. You can get factory Weatherby 180 gr spitzers for under 40 bucks.

The 300 Wyb mag 180 gr AB shoots at least 6" flatter than something like a .270 win with a 130 gr SST superformance at 600 yards. It also has less drift and a ton more energy.

For me, I'd just use my .308 win for 400 yard shots on a whitetail. At the most move up to something like a .270 WSM. But, that's me and not you.

Not sure what a 44 Zeiss is but, I like that brand of scope.

Well I have shot an elk from mountain side to mountainside. It was just under 800 yds. Recovery was tough, but we recovered the entire animal.

Well whatever you decide I hope you fill your tags... But the only "walmart" rifle I have is a .22, but anyways sorry you had a bad time on the forum.. It seemed like some fun ribbing amongst gun guys. Let's let the deer be thin skinned and just have fun and share knowledge.

I'd personally choose a .30-06 or .270 for a "Sendero" hunt if the ranges don't exceed 400 yards. I probably would not shoot at game further than 300 yards max anyways.

But maybe deer are tougher critters in Texas than they are in Pennsylvania.

If extended range is tops on the priority, I'd choose a 6.5mm creedmore.

The 7mm Rem. Mag, and .300 Win Mag. would probably get a lot of votes also. The .300 win mag would be last on my list of choices here though. We are talking about shooting a deer here in this thread and not a Tyrannosaurus Rex right? I wouldn't want to deal with all of the unnecessary recoil of the .300 win mag.

Back