327 Magnum

The statements above make it appear that Taurus has only recently discovered the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge.

I was only referencing the latest Taurus revolver iteration chambered in .327 Magnum, the new Model 327.

The statements above make it appear that Taurus has only recently discovered the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge. I have a .327 Magnum by Taurus that I bought something like ten or twelve years ago. It's kind of a piece of junk, and it took a LOT of work to make it fire more than one shot per day, but it is .327 Federal Magnum, and it was made by Taurus.
Taurus, Charter, and Smith all made a .327 at one point over a decade ago, but they didnt make them for long for various reasons and didnt make many of them. Fact is having a company producing new guns in the caliber means they'll be on shelves at more affordable prices than older used models and frankly Taurus today is WAY better than it was 10 yrs ago.

If Ruger would ever wise up and make a 3” LCRX in .327 I’d love to grab one. Or better yet an SP101 that holds six rounds. Or let’s get crazy and make it a GP100 3” holding 7rounds without any underlug like a security six. But, you know what they say about wishes.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The original holdup was that they hadn't developed a 3" magnum frame for the LCRX. Well, now they have.

I think this is just the same issue that has plagued .327 Federal since it was released. Ruger didn't do a great job of stoking the fires to support this round. Overall, this was a great concept that got released at a bad time, was poorly marketed, and didn't have the right guns ready for release. How long did it take for .327 to see a lever gun or even just a longer-barreled revolver?

It feels like Ruger just doesn't care about .327 Federal and it's a real shame. It continues to be one of my favorite cartridges across platforms because of its versatility. It continues to be my second biggest disappointment in the industry, behind the lack of new guns in DA/SA.

a modern six shot "J" frame sized revolver in .32 anything is almost assuredly going to be a great choice of recoil sensitive people that aren't semiauto pistol savvy.

I shoot a .327 SP-101 4" and a Henry Big Boy, and reload for them I really like the caliber, especially as a centerfire silhouette rifle in that heavy barrelled big boy with reduced power loads. Tons o' fun! I hope to give coyotes a try with it in the spring.

But you really have to be a reloader because the ammo is nearly non-existent on your LGS shelf, even before COVID and simultaneous world craziness. And when ammo is there, it's hard to find any variety of loads available. Trying to find 32H&R loads is just as bad in my area.
For example, in my experience the SP-101 really starts to get good accuracy with ammo moving at about hot 32H&R energy, and it shoots like a laser with the AE327 loads. (I would really like to try some 115 grain bullets in pistol and rifle, I'm just waiting to find primers again before I order any).

The next thing is that only Ruger has been making them for a while, and they are getting pretty proud of their guns lately. I'm glad somebody mentioned the new Taurus 327 because I would like that for a carry gun, I just hadn't heard about it. (I've been waiting for the 942 to show up as well.)

Been following this thread and time to chime in being a 32 cal fan.
I have a Charter Arms Patriot in 327 Fed Mag and a "gangster era" Colt Police Positive Special in 32 NCP (32 S&W Long) and reload for both.
My 32 Long loads are my reloadable .22 and pleasant to shoot along with being very inexpensive to reload. I stocked up on components way before the insanity. I load a box of 50 for around $6 in Longs. That is using Poly coated cast bullets. I save the brass of course.
I also load 32 H&R and 32 H&R +P. Shooting full 327's out of a small light 2 1/2" barrel Patriot is punishing and I have no doubt it wears on the revolver. Maybe that's why Charter discontinued it and came out with the Professional in 32 H&R because of wear with full 327 loads in the Patriot. Just a guess. Those loads have a Hornady jacketed and cost more than poly cast. Those come to around $11 per 50.
So there, my like for the 32's with the two I own.
Oh, and that old Colt is even more accurate than my vintage 34-1 .22 revolver. I'm searching for 32 wad cutter bullets to really get some dime sized groups.
Ok, I'm done and said my piece.

For whatever reason, I don't frequent this site very often but somehow discovered this thread and read it through. I see a lot of my e-friends seem to be hanging out here, so I'll pull up a chair and join in.

Those of you who know me have seen my posts about the 32s in my life. In the crowning position was (is) S&W Project 616, a Model 66 ND with a four inch 617 barrel rebored by Delta to .313 and 617 cylinder rebored and chambered to 327 Fed Mag. Custom all the way, but it's the gun S&W should have built but never did. I've added Behlert sights and some beautiful dark (ebony?) smooth finger groove combat grips. :cool:

I was fortunate enough to purchase one of the Ruger Stainless SBH 8 Shooters in 327 from the brief run of those that sneaked quietly out of the factory then disappeared like ghosts. If I want to get maximum performance out of a 32 revolver, this is my "go to" even though I have to really concentrate on having those extra two rounds. I refer to it as the "stud hoss" of 32s. ;)

As for the 32-20, the Buckeye Special in 32 combo gives the option of shooting your choice of 32 H&R or 32-20 by simply changing cylinders. In fact, the only thing that keeps this from being perfect is the fact that the 327 hadn't been invented when it was made. Of course it is possible to ream the cylinder for that and the gun would be perfect, but it's gotten too collectible to alter. :o

While we're on the subject of the 32-20, S&W made thousands of 32-20 M&P revolvers prior to WW II, so obviously Project 616 could have a second cylinder fitted to it for the caliber, and like the hypothetical rechambered BE Spl RBH in the previous paragraph, it would do it all, in a stainless double action! :D

Somebody mentioned that S&W could/should build a J frame 327 FM, but even with the later, magnum-ized J frame, that might be too much of a good thing... still as manageable as a 357 mag on that platform, but how many folks are shooting full snort 357 Mags in their Model 60s? I would put the recoil moment of a full house 327 at about 38 Spl +P level, but that's still stout in a little J frame. I'd say the 32 H&R is probably more appropriate in this venue. :)

Well guys, I've enjoyed stopping by and chatting. I need to get ready to watch tonight's basketball game. Go Deacs!

Froggie

PS Know S&W has catalogued and built some J framed 327s but they make a unicorn wearing a hen's teeth necklace look common! :eek:

PS Know S&W has catalogued and built some J framed 327s but they make a unicorn wearing a hen's teeth necklace look common!

I have a S&W 431PD in 32 mag and thats magnum enough for me. Its a gun I am so glad I bought. My dealer knew I liked 32 caliber guns and called me to tell me it came in. At $329 almost NIB with factory box and paper work I almost didn't buy it because he wanted $329 for it. Now I have no idea what its worth but its a moot point because it will never be for sale.

I am all for anything that promotes 32 caliber guns. If I had a 327 it would be one of the Ruger SS with a 7.5" barrel. If I'm going to put up with the blast I want the most speed I can get.

My bud is getting rid of his guns. He is 74 and is hanging it up except for the core guns he wants to keep. He has an I-Frame 32 long I am buying from him. Its an anti-magnum gun because its so old but in such great shape I doubt it has a heat treated cylinder so no hot 32 long loads. Just a gentle 32 caliber shooter.

Just bought a stainless seven inch single seven for a steal because the gun shop had never heard of it. They threw in 6 boxes of federal hollow points that come in with the gun.

I also traded for a ruger single six in 32H&R recently and then inherited my Grandmother's Smith and Wesson terrier .32 S&W long.

Since I've got a bunch of .32 long wadcutters I'll probably stick with that mostly so I can compare all three.

Can't wait to get to the range.

“... and then inherited my Grandmother’s Smith and Wesson terrier .32 S&W long.”

Sounds like you are really doing well, but your Grandmother’s revolver isn’t a Terrier if it’s a 32. That designation was reserved for the I frame snub with 5 shot 38 S&W chambering. They became available late in the 1930s. The snub in 32 S&W L is a bit of a rare bird, and unlike the 38 seems to have only appeared after WW II. FWIW, I have a 32 snub from about 1949 and it’s one of my all time favorite guns for EDC. :cool:

Your SS in 32 H&R came out at what should have been the perfect time for 32 lovers but for whatever reason never got the love it should have. I don’t think most people knew what to do with it. Lack of good ammo and reloading components may have added to its problems. The 327 seems to have shared its fate somewhat, with only we who are “True Believers” seeking them out to hold and to treasure. As I observe the steep rise in price of all of the 32s of late though, I can’t help but wonder if the Word is beginning to spread! ;)

Regards,
Froggie

Last edited:
Yeah, once a year is probably enough for most people to hear from me. Maybe I can stop by and just read the goings on a little more frequently though. :rolleyes:
I know a little bit of me goes a long way! :o

Froggie

I dated the .32 snubbie to 1953 in my Smith and Wesson book.
Thanks for the info on the terrier, that is what my uncle called it but I think now he was talking about another gun in the house.

The .32 H&R Ruger came out when I was in High School, my wood shop teacher brought one to class to show it off.

The .32 H&R Ruger came out when I was in High School, my wood shop teacher brought one to class to show it off.
Those were the days. Now you can't even draw picture in school without someone collapsing in hysterics. When I was interning at the company I went to work for eventually I remember seeing an employee bring in a revolver to show off to the rest of us.... Now you aren't supposed to have a gun on the premises including the parking lot.... Those were the days. Sorry a bit off topic :) .

I still think the .32 makes a great reloadable .22 option. Otherwise the .357/.38 is the choice in my opinion. Haven't been convinced otherwise.

I dated the .32 snubbie to 1953 in my Smith and Wesson book.
Thanks for the info on the terrier, that is what my uncle called it but I think now he was talking about another gun in the house.

That’s one of the Improved I frames with coil spring action, but still the small frame size rather than the (only slightly) larger J frame. It is a handy little gun to drop into pocket or small holster and can be loaded with any standard factory load. It truly qualifies as a fun gun, IMHO.

I like a reload of a 95 grain lead SWC over a light charge of Bullseye or 231 for casual use in mine, and this is about the cheapest shooting available if you can find primers cheaply enough. I also keep a supply of Georgia Arms’ jacketed HPs for serious use. I doubt the HP opens up much at 32 S&W L velocities but it’s good ammo nonetheless.

The slightly later J frame examples have enough additional size that some of my e-friends have been reaming them to 32 H&R, but I wouldn’t do that with the smaller I frame. Somebody might get too bold with reloads and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for that!

Froggie

Back