.327 Federal Club thread

Ive had my eye on a charter arms patriot, which I understand is a fairly hard to come by gun. I wouldn't mind picking it up, but alas, too many layaways on others already.

The Charter Arms Patriot is pretty interesting. Thinking of adding it to my shortlist. Anyone here have one? Impressions?

Cutting Teeth on the .327FM

I just received my SP101 in .327 Fed Magnum this week. I have ammunition on the way, and am so excited to shoot it.

I had done research on the round and opted to get it over the .357 which I will add to my collection later. I have medium sized hands with large palms and average fingers. This gun fits like a glove.

Very instinctive for me to grab and bring in line.

I am considering it for my EDC if I can find a good IWB holster.

My wife purchased a Ruger LCR 327 about a month ago.

She likes it better than my SP101 38/357 (too heavy).

I shot her LCR and like it except that it is a tad small for my hands. Her self defense ammo is the Hornady 32 H&K 85 gr.

Very cool.

CedarGrove, which version of the SP101 did you pick up?
If it's the 3", then there are dozens of holsters to choose from.
If it's the 4".... different story.

Sevens, you've got to be kidding?

Of course, the M1 Carbine has a somewhat maligned history of "on target performance"

TAFFIN TESTS: THE .30 CARBINE

The short range silhouette Hunter/Field Pistol course was seemingly designed with the Blackhawk .30 Carbine in mind. The same cast bullet loads used for silhouetting can be used for small game shooting and varmints are well handled with either the 100 grain Plinker or 110 grain Varminter. By no stretch of the imagination, with these loads or any others, should the .30 Carbine [Blackhawk] be considered a big game gun. ... Keep the Carbine as it should be: for varmints, small game, plinking, and short-range silhouetting. I'm just sorry I took so long to get around to trying one.

I got the 4.2" version. I liked the longer barrel than the 3". Seemed a little more balanced. I know there isn't much available for it yet, but I am a patient person. I'm used to carrying a Glock, so I have to work with wheel guns more before I actually carry it.

Last edited:
The quote below is from a retired gunsmith and Ruger Forum moderator concerning the .30 Carbine Blackhawk v. .327 Fed Mag Blackhawk:

Raw power .... the 30 Carb wins hand down .... and it is also very accurate. Versatility in different platforms .... the 327 Fed Mag wins .... don't know about accuracy. I sold my 30 Carb Blackhawk .... it was a tack driver and would drive VERY LARGE tacks at a considerable distances.

jski, I'm not sure where that quote comes from, but Sevens owns at least one .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I'm sure he was jesting, if he gave the impression of performance being sub-par. ...Unless he was comparing it to .327 Federal, of course. Then, it's definitely sub-par. :D

CedarGrove,
I, as you may have seen, also have a 4.2" SP101. While it may be my new favorite .327 Federal revolver (I love it), obtaining a holster for it proved somewhat difficult.
In the end, I was not able to get a decent IWB rig (somewhat by lack of trying, since it pokes the giblets); but I did get a Triple-K OWB holster for it, from Ruger, that works quite well. There are some bad reviews on the holster, as far as fitment and the forward-cant, but it was as-expected for me. --Initially tight, but a little time for the revolver and holster to 'marry' worked out great. And even though I normally don't like a forward-canted holster, the SP101 is small enough that it works out in this case.

As of now, the Ruger-branded Triple-K holster is the only holster that I know of for the 4.2" .327 SP101. The big hang-up is the target sights. Without them, there would be quite a few S&W J-frame holsters to choose from.

This is the holster I have for the 4.2 SP101:

https://www.triplek.com/product/570-woodsman/

So there is another one beyond the Ruger branded Triple K model, which I don't find riding "high and tight" enough for my purposes.

I assess the gun as potentially too loud (high frequency) to shoot without ear protection in a defensive situation, so I went with my 3" H&R Magnum for summer carry, having discovered by accident that its report is not to bad.

On the range I prefer the Single Seven, so this longer SP101 sort of just sits there on my sell list.

Last edited:
Simply Rugged will make you a holster for both IWB and OWB. Mine fits both my LCRx3 inch and my SP101 4.2 inch if you don't mine a little barrel poking out the bottom, which I don't.

I just received my SP101 in .327 Fed Magnum this week. I have ammunition on the way, and am so excited to shoot it.

I'll be excited to see your range report. I really like the 115-grain Gold Dots in the 4.2" SP101. They've got a "just right" feeling that I can't quite explain, much like the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks do for the LCR.

I'll be excited to see your range report. I really like the 115-grain Gold Dots in the 4.2" SP101. They've got a "just right" feeling that I can't quite explain, much like the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks do for the LCR.
Though I wasn't actually thinking about it when I chose the loads for each revolver, I did find the 115 gr Gold Dot factory load to prefer longer barrels in testing (more so than the Hydrashoks).

And, my LCR and 4.2" SP101 are currently loaded the same as yours: Hydrashoks in the LCR, 115 Gold Dots in the SP101.

Then there's a Quik-Strip of Gold Dots, a speed loader of Gold Dots, and a speed loader of AE 100 gr SPs, in case I feel froggy (or take the SP101 hunting).

I've got Federal American Eagle 85gr. soft points coming, should be here tomorrow. These are just a point to start to establish a baseline and go from there. Gotta start somewhere.

Regarding the holsters, thanks for the input. I'll check them out.

The Henery's don't have loading gates, meaning they are about worthless for self defense.
So much that could be said about that statement.
I'll just stick with:

Since I can't fit a leveraction rifle in my holster, anyway, I don't think that'll be much of a problem.

And I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of us that have been asking for a .327 Federal lever gun haven't had self-defense in mind.

Model12Win The Henery's don't have loading gates, meaning they are about worthless for self defense.

I would like a loading gate myself, but i have seen people load the tube on the Henry very quickly.

Henry BB 327

I'll probably spring for the Big Boy Steel 327 w/ the 20" barrel. Ballistics by the inch lists the AE100 at 18" bbl running 2186 ft/sec and 1061 lb-ft energy. The 20" Henry should be a little North of that. It'll be fun.

Last edited:
It will have an edge on the .30 carbine, but not by much. Still interesting. I'd just love to see HRA bring this out with a loading gate. A .327 lever gun would be good for defense... but not with the juvenile separate loading tube arrangement such as that found on boy's rifles. Serious adult lever guns deserve a gate. Hard to imagine John Wayne running around the desert with such a setup.

Back