.327 Federal Club thread

I'm ordering this gun for my wife to keep in the nightstand--less recoil that .38 defense rounds. But I'm plan to shoot it a lot myself

That's what happened with our Model 431. I carry that sucker a whole lot more than she does. But she still calls it "her" gun and is very proud to shoot it at the range.

If you're going to carry big iron for self defense rather than the lighter 327 MAG revolvers that are available, might as well be chambered for 357 MAG.
Why stop the bigotry there? If you're going to carry "big iron" a .44 Mag or .454 Casul is better than the .357 MAG. :p

Ballistics on the .327 overlap a good portion of the .357 Magnum so you're not giving up very much to the small bore.

Glenn,

I heartily agree. My 432PD sees duty here in the front room "study" while I work and goes with me to answer the door. It works equally well in a jacket pocket or thunderwear type carry. You can almost forget it's in an ankle holster as a B.U.G. too. Moderate power (on a par with .380 or standard velocity .38 special) with six shots. Toss in a pair of speedloaders and for under 2lbs you're good to go.

A 32 H&R MAG Model 431PD or 432PD with a scandium alloy aluminum frame and titanium six-shot cylinder would approach 11 ounces empty. The ultimate balance between ballistics and weight, perhaps the ideal pocket gun.

Daggit
I'm ordering a wife for my gun and while this wife is for my gun , I can still use it whenever....

Daggit, I'm truly proud of a man who would order a wife for his firearm. I take it your revolver is a he? :D

A 32 H&R MAG Model 431PD or 432PD with a scandium alloy aluminum frame and titanium six-shot cylinder would approach 11 ounces empty. The ultimate balance between ballistics and weight, perhaps the ideal pocket gun

Hello Secret Agent Man
I thought so too. A Few Years ago I gave a Mint Model 14-2 Target Masterpiece in .38 Special for my 431 P.D. S&W had it right making this gun and the P.D. Meant Persoanl Defense but for some Odd reason I guess low sales they discontinued it. Mine came brand new to me in box and has been carried in a Pocket rig since the day I got it every day with me...;) Hammer It

I'm perfectly happy with my .38/.357 revolvers and don't really need another mouth to feed and yet another caliber of ammo to keep on hand. If they could make it up in a revolver smaller than a J frame I might be interested.

Looking for a .327. My first pick is the SP101, but assuming I can't come up with a used one, what is a preferable of the following two alternatives, Taurus 327 (2") or the Charter Arms Patriot (2.2")

IMO, neither is preferable because the high pressure .327 round loses way too much juice in a barrel shorter than 3 inches.

Still, were I forced to choose, I prefer the build design of the Taurus over that of the Charter. The crane area on any/every Taurus is larger than the same part on any/every Charter. In actual use, neither gun maker has a stellar reputation for the best products in the industry.

I'd save my money and get the SP-101.

Who is, missing the point, me or you?

For Xmas I bought my dad a used SP101, w/ 357mag it kicks well. This is my point, .38spl not so great, .357, a little much for some. An xtra rd or 2 in a 25oz loaded revolver w/ a slim cylinder, 2/1/2 or 3in. barrel, and reliability of a revolver would/ does sound good to me. And faster follow up shots?!, usually a good thing if/ when needed. Ballistics I've seen are comparable to 40 S&W, the "end all rd". Reloading issue could be left to those who reload (not many of us who buy a pistol reload). 20$ for 20rds of SD ammo, no different than any other cal. Too bad the other calibers it will shoot aren't cheaper for plinking or practice. This is the rd I've been looking for in a CCW rev. Not necessarily a HD rev but it would do. 357 mag is a lot of kick for a woman protecting her children in the middle of the night. And for a man and CCW and the ability to practice, not sure what not to like. So many posts, I'm gonna go finish some more.

Sorry for not waiting

To finish each post. I'm on page 13.
Thank you to all who are talking .327 fed mag and it's ability's. Also the guns that shoot it and those like it. To the man that shot the bobcat, cool. To the owner of the 'S&W .32-20 Model of 1905' on page 12, wow.. WOW.
Sorry for all you reloaders (for now).
Title, of this thread; '327- what went wrong'. OK, brass. Enough about brass. Brass will come by consumers buying the guns and shelf ammo.
I'm not a reloader, feel that it makes me a reg consumer. So, I need a gun, a reliable gun that I can CCW, and fire repeatedly/ comfortably if need be. The wheel gun makes it a little more reliable (I think ;)) than a pistol. I like my 9, a cheap KT P-11. I could use a revolver, preferably in this cal. Why? Cause I think it could be light, controllable, accurate and deadly if i need it be (see that bobcat?).
The "public" didn't buy it cause not enough to put it in. Regular Joe puts the round in the gun, not vice versa. Anybody notice the huge increase in anything pocket carry. This could be it.
So maybe i was wrong to say 2/1/2 in bbl. How bout 3/1/2? My buddies Glock in .40 would probly still be bigger. I'm thinking slim nightguard (think 686). Hell, I love that gun, wish i could afford one, and a Glock in 10mm. But if I could more readily CCW that 686. That's what I think is hurting the .327 FedMag.:D

The only reason why I picked up the Sp101 in .357 instead of .327 was price. I can get .38's cheaper than any .327 or .327 variant. Now if they were closer to the same price, then I personally think .357 may have a run for its money!

Ammo price is directly correlated to ammo sales. It's a volume business.

That's why 9mm is still cheaper than .380, even with the extreme headway .380 has made in the last 5 years. .380 uses a lighter, smaller bullet, less lead and copper, in a case that is smaller, using less brass, with a lighter propellant charge of less powder... and it still costs more.

It's because of the volume of it that they make. .327 is likely to always cost more than .38 Special.

.357 factory ammo? That's expensive also. I'd imagine that .327 and .357 are fairly close in price. But I don't buy either, so I'd have to go looking.

oops

I posted about a S&W 686, error. So many models and calibers that are similar, meant to say S&W 310 night guard, not the 686.

Posts above mention correlation between ammo sales and cost (.380). I imagine many who buy a pocket .380 don't get to the range as often as they might like or should, either from cost or the person who bought a .380 did so just to have/ carry. So ammo doesn't get shot, so then bought frequently enough to drive cost down.

I believe this somewhat proves as to what I'm saying about the .327. The guns in .380 are bought because they are there for the consumer. He or She purchases the gun because it's either what they want or the guy behind the counter sells to them, and then a box of SD ammo to put in it. Not necessarily to practice at the range with.

If there was a gun or selection of guns in .327 a person could purchase in the pocket carry/ lightweight CCW platform, then more would be sold. Guns being sold like .38spl's (for decades) and .380, to me, prove this theory.

Marketing this caliber requires marketing a platform and as of now there is not enough of them for the mainstream consumer to want to pick and choose from.

I now see the difficulties in manufacturing a gun w/ the .327's high pressure. But if 1 could be created to compete w/ a gun like the LC9, then they would have something. I still envision 1 slightly smaller, mainly thinner than a Night Guard. I understand it needs a bbl of reasonable length to perform.

I like this rd, the idea of it, it's ability to chamber those other calibers, and I want one. But if it's going to kick less than a .357 and hold an xtra rd (or 2), then I want it on me all the time.:cool:

I'm just saying if there was a gun that shot the .327

Please scratch that last sentence as it wasn't supposed to be there.

The cost of ammo is not what is hurting the .327. I expect that enough .380 gets sold to fill the guns sold in that cal.

Everyone of us is what is hurting it. Manufacturers not making enough guns/ platforms for it, and lack of brass. Reloaders not buying new ammo to drive cost down. Consumers not buying it because lack of both.

Having a gun in a semi rare cal is not a bad thing. I read on this thread that it (.32) was possibly the only thing available during obamacalypse. No .22, no .38spl, no .9, .40 or .45. So don't be deterred about owning a gun for SD, when it seems to be a great rd to do so with. Practice w/ it some, plink w/ something else, and carry it because it can do some damage, have fast follow shots if needed, and hold an xtra rd or 2 to compete w/ some autoloaders, and eventually be a good CCW.

Interesting article on the .327 in the July 2011 Guns Magazine by John Taffin.

Apparently John is a fan of the .327 and has some pretty good company.

Here are a couple of quotes:

"...Hamilton (Bowen) says the .327 is the best thing to come along since the .44 Magnum."

"Hamilton is at the top of the list when it comes to premiere sixgunsmiths and the .327 Federal is at the top of the list of truly useful cartridges..."

Back