.327 Federal Club thread

I never saw any need for it unless one just wanted something new to fool with. In my view it did not fill a void.
Regards,
Jerry

Has anyone had recent experience with Federal .32 H&R brass, or for that matter, the .327 brass?

All .327 Federal brass should be considered "Federal", no matter what it's stamped. It's all made on the same machines, by ATK. Some of it comes out stamped "Speer". Some of it comes out stamped "FC". It just depends on what they're running, at the time. Some of those go on to be nickel plated.

I haven't had issues with the brass I've got (Speer nickel, FC nickel, FC brass).

Anyone who has fired the 327 magnum would never compare it to a 38 special. The internal pressure alone is legions beyond a 357. You love your 38 , good for you. The 38 , +p or otherwise is not and will never be a 327 magnum. Them's the facts. I have shot the 327 and I will not need to read any anecdotes about whether it is lethal or has takedown power or whatever garbage. It is stonecold deadly. Is it an elephant gun ? No of course not. Is it a 44 magnum ? Of course not. Is it a helluva lot of firepower in an sp101. Absolutely it is.

i think it funny someone asked why there is no hornady critical defense for 327 federal magnum......the answer is the damn round is so maxed out you cant get any hotter!!!! lol

I love mine...its definately a magnum round

Critical Defense, in my findings, is not always a hot or maxed out FPS load across the board. The new Critical Defense in 10mm is a puthy-boy weak, watered down FBI-lite crapola 10mm load.

The draw to C-D is more the bullet then the speed/velocity of the load.

I raised the issue of 327 MAG Critical Defense, or rather the lack of it, earlier in this thread. As Sevens points out, Critical Defense ammunition is weak up front. Because it does not have to waste time chasing cloth and other things out of the hollow point before expanding, it may not be weaker overall. This may also explain why Critical Defense does not penetrate as deep as other manufacturers rounds. Few of us really need the penetration the FBI insists on. But with such a small meplat, a .32 inch diameter caliber bullet needs to expand for maximum effect in a small package. The fact that Hornady claims it's new Critical Defense line of ammo is guaranteed to expand, but does not offer it in 327 MAG is somewhat troubling.

As much as I like the .327 .....

Taurus also makes 2-inch snubs in .327, in varying finishes.
Apparently, they thought it was a good idea also.

....those are the folks that brought us the Taurus Judge, and they thought marketing that as a fine CCW/self defense vs. watermelons was a good idea, too .......

The draw to C-D is more the bullet then the speed/velocity of the load.

Aye. I recently switched to the Critical Defense loads in my .380, and picked some up for a new (to me) S&W 642, .38 Special. It's not about velocity. It's about feeding reliability in the .380, and reliable expansion in both.

"If I can read between the Wild and the Alaska, I'll go out on a limb and say "levergun".
Now that would be nice, an eight shot Blackhawk and a lever gun. Hope you are right.

The fact that Hornady claims it's new Critical Defense line of ammo is guaranteed to expand, but does not offer it in 327 MAG is somewhat troubling.
I have not gotten to the bottom of the whole "exclusivity" thing. I've asked ATK if they own some kind of exclusive rights to the .327 Federal round or name and they haven't answered. I've asked Starline if they can or would build .327 Federal brass and they told me that the '08 Barackolypse still have them so far knee-deep in back orders that they have ZERO plans to even consider it due to the pure volume of other work they need to catch up on.

I pushed them again a full calendar year later and asked them if they are any closer to making .327 and Hunter Pilante told me "not any time soon" and when I asked if he was allowed to make it, he said that he wasn't aware of NOT being allowed to make it, but that they had no plans to make it.

Buffalo Bore has shown, on their website, plans to offer at least one or two .327 Federal Mag products. If they do, it'll be the first ammunition company outside of ATK to build and sell .327 Federal factory ammo.
We plan to introduce Two or three 327 Federal and 2 or 3 32 H&R mag. Loads.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=58
This has been up there for a good long time and Buffalo Bore has recently marketed a "heavy" .32 H&R Mag load that sends a 100 grain bullet to 1,300 FPS, so is that a positive sign?

....those are the folks that brought us the Taurus Judge, and they thought marketing that as a fine CCW/self defense vs. watermelons was a good idea, too .......
Hey, Mr. "Glass half empty", I'm certainly no kind of fan of the Taurus Judge and I'm also not a huge fan of most of Taurus' products...

But if you think it's bad for this industry that some gun manufacturer has the stones to introduce products that are different than the same old established thing, I think you are nuts.

The Circuit Judge revolving carbine? The new semi-auto 9mm and .45 carbines? The idea that a major, well-known gun maker is actually taking a chance and putting out some new products in a stagnant, uptight industry is a good thing, whether you can see that or not.

jimbob86, that came off a lot more personal and crusty than I had in mind. Please don't take offense at what I said.

I see your point... you may even be agreeing with me that .327 in a 2-inch barrel isn't the world's greatest idea, and using the Judge and the exploding watermelon is actually a really good example of exactly that.

:o Sorry if my post comes off as harsh or obnoxious. :(

a "heavy" .32 H&R Mag load that sends a 100 grain bullet to 1,300 FPS

That's a huckleberry right there at 375 ft-lbs of ME. It certainly would compete head-to-head with the 38 Special. Smith could see some some significant market demand for the discontinued 431PD and 432PD two-inch J frames with a round like that available.

For anyone else wondering, here are the velocities for the Buffalo Bore "Heavy" .32 H&R load:
Code:
Below are real world velocities shot from stock over-the-counter, revolvers.

1366 fps - USFA Sparrow Hawk 7.5 inch barrel
1340 fps - Ruger Black Hawk 5.5 inch barrel
1187 fps - Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel
1054 fps - Taurus Ultra Light 2 inch barrel

Not too shabby, in the short barrels. ...But not impressive in the longer barrels. I'm still glad they're putting something different on the market, though.

But, this is a good example of why it pays to reload for this (these) cartridge(s). I can duplicate that load for less than $8 per 50 rounds (Assuming it's a Hornady XTP). From Buffalo Bore, 50 rounds would run $66.65.

9mm

I like a .357 revolver, because it can shoot BOTH .357/.38 ......

The .327 can shoot .327mag, .32 H&R mag, and .32 Long .....
Thank you for the education!

Well maybe its not worthless as much now... It can shoot more calibers than just one

Actually the .327 Federal magnum, the .32 H&R magnum and the .32 Long are all the same caliber. That is why you can shoot them from the same gun. They are all .327" or .327 caliber.

They are, however, different cartridges.

My Bad

The BB 32 H&R MAG clocks in at 247 ft-lbs. ME from a two inch barrel. Still, not too shabby when you consider the extra round compared to a 38 Special J frame. The 32 H&R MAG became very popular in southern Michigan after the round was introduced. Never could figure that one out, except that in northern Michigan bears mandate more caliber while in southern Michigan (read Detroit), it's mostly people you have to worry about.

Actually the .327 Federal magnum, the .32 H&R magnum and the .32 Long are all the same caliber. That is why you can shoot them from the same gun. They are all .327" or .327 caliber.

They are, however, different cartridges.
Be very careful when you try to come off like an expert... not a dang one of those cartridges is .327". Matter of fact, I don't actually know of any chambering out there that is .327".

All of these cartridges are .312". ;)

Be very careful when you try to come off like an expert... not a dang one of those cartridges is .327". Matter of fact, I don't actually know of any chambering out there that is .327".

All of these cartridges are .312".

Hello Sevens
You are correct here... perhaps the O.P. was thinking about Chevrolet.. They made a 327 small Block engine that was also awesome...;) Early S&W hand guns have trouble grouping well with Bullets of diameter's of .0312"-.0313". Mine Prefer bullets of .0310" being my 1904 single shot target pistol chambered in .32 S&W caliber the baby of the .32 rounds and my 1925 Regulation Police revolver which is chambered in the .32 S&W Long Caliber, so that is why I re-load for them all to get the most accuracy out of them on paper. S&W Needs to get their act together and Offer this round in a K-Frame gun with a barrel length of at least 4" to make the velocity shine. That very reason was why I had my Older Model 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum caliber gun converted to the new Federal .327 Magnum round and never looked back. ;) I would be willing to bet if S&W brought back the Model 16-4 as the new model 16-5 chambered in Federal .327 Magnum there would be a waiting list of buyers for it...:) Long Live the .32 round and those of us that undestand just how accurate and promising it really is ! :) Hammer It

Back