.32 acp SD ammo?

There was a Lucky Gunner video on 32 ACP recently you might want to check out. It sounds like FMJ might be a good choice to maximize the odds you would get adequate penetration.

73 gn FMJ. Penetration is what you're going for more than anything with the .32acp. You can try having a couple HPs in the mag, just in case, but when I carried .32acp I ultimately decided on FMJs for me, personally.

Now that I'm looking, the Buffalo Bore +P hard cast 75 grainers are probably the ticket for best SD rounds IMO. I wouldn't feed most .32 pistols a steady diet of these.

I carry one HP in the pipe, and only FMJ in the mag. I have experienced rimlock with a mag full of hollow points, so I stick with FMJ, more reliable feeding and better penetration.

I shoot 32 H&R magnum a lot,,, and I mean a lot...While I carried a 38 special for 30 yrs, since retiring I have shot the 32 a lot.. low recoil, so follow up shots are on target....what is wrong with that..???

I carry one HP in the pipe, and only FMJ in the mag. I have experienced rimlock with a mag full of hollow points, so I stick with FMJ, more reliable feeding and better penetration.

This. Followed by 73g Sellor and Ballet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiocchi fmj has always worked very well in my .32 acps. It's about $12 for a box of 50. The advertised velocity is 1000 fps, so a little bit slower than S&B, which I have not tried. So no knock on S&B, just saying Fiocchi is good, too. Boringly accurate in my CZ 83.

What would be acceptable SD ammo in .32 acp caliber?

I shoot 32 H&R magnum a lot
...what is wrong with that..???
How do you stuff them into the magazine of a 32ACP pistol? Let alone chamber them.:eek:

Definitely fmj. The European ammo like Seller & Beloit, Fiocchi produce a little more velocity than the US made ammo. Other than the boutique companies falsely using the +P moniker for their ammo loaded over industry standard pressure.
The Euro stuff may well be over SAAMI standard pressure, but at least they don't use false advertising claiming their ammo is something that does not exist.

Other than the boutique companies falsely using the +P moniker for their ammo loaded over industry standard pressure.

How is it false?? If the ammo is over industry standard pressure then by definition it is +p.

And don't tell me it can't be +p because there's no SAAMI standard for .32ACP +p. If its over standard pressure, its +p, whether there is a SAAMI standard for .32ACP+p, or not.

^
That's exactly what I will tell you. Because the rating of "+P" IS a SAAMI listed pressure for four specific rounds. 38 Special, 9X19 Lugar, 38 Auto, and 45ACP. The boutique ammo loaders claiming +P of any other handgun cartridge is either loading their ammo above the industry standard for pressure according to SAAMI, or lying in order to use the +P rating for advertising hype. Either way, there is no SAAMI +P rating for 32acp.

Because of rim lock those rounds are completely unusable in my P32. I tried, and tried. Nearly a whole box of them. Turned my little Kel Tec into a single shot pistol. Might be OK as a chambered round with fmj rounds in the mag, but without the Flyer Wire modification they are useless in the magazine.
I haven't tried any hollow point ammo, but I understand because of their shorter length, and bullet nose shape they are also quite susceptible to rim lock.

If I'm packing my KelTec P32, I load Buffalo Bore 75 gr hardcast. They are a little faster than commercial 71 gr FMJ, but they don't feel especially lively. I once tried some CorBon 60 gr JHP, and they were pretty jumpy.

That's exactly what I will tell you. Because the rating of "+P" IS a SAAMI listed pressure for four specific rounds. 38 Special, 9X19 Lugar, 38 Auto, and 45ACP. The boutique ammo loaders claiming +P of any other handgun cartridge is either loading their ammo above the industry standard for pressure according to SAAMI, or lying in order to use the +P rating for advertising hype. Either way, there is no SAAMI +P rating for 32acp.

You are correct. However, if BB is loading safely above industry standard to improve performance in a marginal (yet convenient to carry) SD round I'm not going to grow angry at them for it.

Wait, I can already see the consternation with this...

safely above industry standard

Such creature actually exists. People have been overloading 45 Colt for specific revolvers for years. SAAMI hasn't recognized or authorized these loads, but they are known safe for application in certain firearms. SAAMI MAP for 8mm mauser is 35k psi, yet most components manufacturers publish load data that will reach nearly 51K psi. There aren't masses of blown up mausers laying around. This being said, exceeding industry standards shouldn't be done willy nilly. But it can, and has frequently been, be done safely.

Buffalo Bore apparently did their research. I highly doubt they would take on the risk of putting a straight up dangerous product out, especially in today's litigious society. And I don't think they're false advertising either. Chronographs exist out in the wild, and people use them. BB ammo seems to be a favorite to buy specifically to shoot through a chronograph to see "just how hot it is."

"...SAAMI hasn't..." SAAMI doesn't "authorize" anything. They're just the voluntary standard setter for the assorted American manufacturers. If a particular ammo maker, like say Buffalo Bore, doesn't want to load to SAAMI spec, there's nobody who is legally entitled to stop 'em.
"...acceptable SD ammo..." That'd be the ammo you and your pistol shoot best. If .32 calibres were legal here, I'd be thinking Silvertips.
"...9X19 Lugar..." That'd be LUGER.

Back