.32 ACP for Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Keltec p32 which I've had a few misfires with, however, I haven't put many rounds thru, so I am trying new ammo etc. to see if the problem straightens out. That said, I would suggest considering the smaller Taurus TI revolvers(I have 2) that are lightweight and pack a punch. I have both the ul ti model 85 and the ti 44 spc. With, corbon ammo, both of these are good stoppers, particularly the 44, and can be carried easily.

I do actually like glocks the best(I currently have a glock 29, and have a glock 33 on order(will be waiting a while). I plan to carry the 33 as much as possible when I get it. I love the glock trigger, and the reliability.

One other tip; carry a good knife(Microtech SOCUM or benchmade ACFK for example) for self defense in case something goes arwy with your gun, or you are jumped from behind. A good stab with a knife will disable any opponent.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riddleofsteel:
here is the slant from my view. Fud is right. there are now 9mm's and even .40 auto's no larger though somewhat more weighty than the typical .25,.32,.380.
[/quote]

If you can find a 9mm that's even close to the size of the Keltec P32, I'd sure like to know about it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnwill: If you can find a 9mm that's even close to the size of the Keltec P32, I'd sure like to know about it![/quote]LENGTH: Keltec P32 = 5.1" / Kahr MK9 = 5.3"
HEIGHT: Keltec P32 = 3.5" / Kahr MK9 = 4.0"
CALIBER: Keltec P32 = .32ACP / Kahr MK9 = 9mm Parabellum

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 02, 2000).]

Keltec P32 (32 ACP)<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Blued $295 MSRP<LI>Hard Chromed $350 MSRP</UL>

Kahr MK9 (9x19)<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Matte Stainless $580 MSRP<LI>Duotone $749 MSRP<LI>Stainless Steel $631 MSRP</UL>

Bulgarian Makarov (9x18) approx $160<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>L 161.5mm (6.36 in) 1 in taller than the Kahr<LI>H 127mm (5 in) 1 in longer than the Kahr<LI>W 30.5mm (1.2 in)</UL> Handloaded 95 gr XTP bullets routinely exceed 900 fps and approach 200 ft lbs at muzzle. Corbon is hotter: 1050 fps and +220 ft lbs at muzzle. Not a 9mm Parabellum, but look at the price comparison!

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 03, 2000).]

And the weight difference: P32 is about 8oz loaded, Kahr is 20-22 or so, methinks. Not to mention the thickness difference.

I did measure a Taurus 85UL and a Keltec P11...the pistol is smaller and lighter yet I think the revolver conceals better. Hmmm....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUD:
When applying for the CWL, it was spelled out with examples that being "punched around" is not sufficient cause to legally use a firearm -- fear of "death" or "grave bodily injury" is required.
[/quote]

Since people have died, and even more have been seriously injured by being "punched around", I think in many situations you'd have reasonable grounds to fear "grave bodily injury". It will also depend on the size and number of attackers. If a 100 pound woman is attacking a 200 pound man with her bare hands, you're probably not justified in shooting her. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUD:
Originally posted by johnwill: If you can find a 9mm that's even close to the size of the Keltec P32, I'd sure like to know about it!
LENGTH: Keltec P32 = 5.1" / Kahr MK9 = 5.3"
[/QUOTE]

I notice that you conveniently omitted two of the important specifications for easy concealment, thickness and weight. Toss them into the mix, and it becomes a different picture. :)

johnwill, you originally made reference to SIZE and both are about the same size with the MK9 being slightly larger. With regard to thickness, they are both just under an inch thick. If you want to look at weight, the MK9 is more than three times heavier but that weight is needed to cushion the recoil of hot 9mm loads.

If you can conceal a P32, than you should be able to conceal a MK9 as well. If I'm going to carry a .32, then it's going to be my NAA Guardian which is significantly smaller than the P32.

I don't want to get into a flame war with anybody. Everybody makes decisions that are best for them. If a P32 fits your life-style better than a MK9 because maybe you like to carry it in your pocket and the weight of the MK9 will print while the weight of the P32 will not, then that's what you need to do.

My wife's uncle always wears a jacket even in 90+ degree temperature because he carries a full-size P14-45 and he laughs at my MK9 (with 7 rounds of 9mm) because of it's weaker stopping power when compared to his 15 rounds of .45ACP.

Each person does what is best for them. I'm not putting anyone down for their choices. I'm merely recommending (based on my experiences and the experiences of people that I know) that a person carries the largest caliber gun that they can shoot and conceal.

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 04, 2000).]

FUD,

Well, actually, the difference is more than "slight" as to the width, the widest point on the Keltec P32 is .75", and on the Kahr it's .9". In addition, pretty much the whole Kahr is that width, it's much blockier than the Keltec.

As far as the weight required for the 9mm load, I don't disagree. I also didn't argue that the 9mm would not be a whole lot move effective if you have to use it, that should be obvious. However, a pocket pistol that weighs 24oz before you load it will require a tightening of the belt to avoid embarassing moments. :)

Of course you can conceal either of these guns if you work at it a little, but to say that's it's as easy to conceal and carry the Kahr over the Keltec is to ignore the facts.

As for your comment about a flame war, I hope you weren't applying that to me. Do you really think what I posted was a flame?

I believe that it all depends on what is best for YOU. I have always let how I dress decide what I carry, and not the other way around. Sometimes it's a.380 pony, 5 shot wheel gun, .357 sig, 9mm, or .45.

To an experienced shooter, 32 is fine. Of course, 9mm on up to .45 is best. (Hell, I'd prefer to drop an anvil on them, but they're hard to conceal).

I know the little .32 sacrifices a lot of stopping power, so placement is very important.

Like a lot of us here, I can put 7 rounds from my Keltec P-32 in a 4" bull at 20 feet in just as many seconds. At 10 feet as fast as I can pull the trigger. That's all in the center of the chest, or in that empty area between the cheeks and hair line. For defense, that should be enough. (My little knife belt pouch holds an extra mag so that I need not be stingy).

I know that .32's have been killing people in Europe without too much trouble since the 1920's or 30's, so I guess it's OK for me.

In this caliber, however, I would not recommend Silvertips. If you fire two or three, then check the remaining rounds in the mag, you will see that the recoil often deforms the bullet heads of the remaining rounds. That means that they are no longer a hollow points and will no longer expand properly and therefore not do what they are designed to do. I like the Federal Hydra Shock, but to each his own. I have met people who stagger a few rounds of ball in the mag.

Posted by FUD:
LENGTH: Keltec P32 = 5.1" / Kahr MK9 = 5.3"

Excellent point made here. But a sagging pocket or heavy outline is just as much a signal to a bad guy as a bulge.

But when Kahr finally realizes that they could make a fortune making the MK series in plastic, I will own the 9mm MK pistol with serial # 2!

Just my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul A: ... But when Kahr finally realizes that they could make a fortune making the MK series in plastic, I will own the 9mm MK pistol with serial # 2! ...[/quote]There's actually a company called Scott, McDougall & Associates which does this very thing -- you send them a P9 and they chopped it down to the size of the MK9. While I have the greatest reespect for their work, I think that the reduced weight will make it difficult to accurately shoot full-power loads. I owned an MK40 but found it too powerful a round to shoot from such a small gun.

First Rule: Have a gun (implies that you can carry it concealed -- whatever your particular situation may be).
Second Rule: Pick the largest caliber that you can accurately shoot.

I disagree with Riddleofsteel's statement about mouseguns being ineffective against cats and other varmints. In spite of living in town, I used a Raven .25 to dispatch a bird-killing cat (okay, it took two rounds: one at 5 yards to stop it in its tracks and another to finish the job). As to .22's from a revolver, my dad and I can't count the number of cats and dogs that we permanently ridded the neighborhood of (though I admit that over 10 yards it is chancy on medium or larger dogs).

We likely all agree that a bigger caliber is better - epecially when shooting varmints the size or Rottweilers or bigger, but my main criteria for 24/7 concealability is thinness and weight. In reviewing this thread and the archives, the P32 meets these criteria the best. It even looks small enough to go under a sock or garter belt {anyone wear those anymore?}.

Yes, a 9mm would be better. But is there a 9mm or even a .380 under 3/4" inch thick and around 1/2 lb?

I can carry my P-32 clipped to the waist band of my sweats and it doesn't feel at all tippy or loose. I take it biking and hardly even know it is there. I gotta say, my wife is happier,too 'cause I can wear dress clothes again and tuck in my shirts. I am also more discreet around the house with my mouse gun. I know we have naysayers, but for me, the P-32 is a perfect companion to my
P-11. The P-32 fits the bill(for me) when an "always" gun is needed.

------------------
And if you hear from my Louise, won't you tell her I love her so?

[This message has been edited by tatters (edited June 05, 2000).]

.32 acp for concealed carry?

Best way is to ask someone who has been shot with a .32 or maybe google how many were killed by a .32? I have a Bersa .32 and believe it will hurt you quite a bit if I shoot you. Carry 73gr Fiocchi FMJ ammo.

Not my first or second choice but beats fists, feet and foul language and of course, Rule No. 1-Have a Gun. And, as we have noted, those who disparage "mouse guns" never volunteer to stand down range of them. I also recall Charlie Askins' definition of a belly gun-"You put it against your opponent's belly and pull the trigger." Like an anti-tank weapon, aim for the soft spots.

I'll tell you right now a .32 in .32 brass is questionable from my perspective.

On the other hand if take that .32 pill, press it into a 7.62x25 Tok case, charge that sucker to max capacity with AA #9 and you'd be on the edge of .357 territory. A Tokarev pistol has the same thin profile of a 1911.

Best of luck on a decision. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back