.300 Win Mag vs. .30-06 Springfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots and lots of used stainless steel guns around and if you buy well you can make, rather than lose, money.

Some go up in value quite quickly.

You don't know the meaning of "off-brand" until you try to sell or trade a Savage 300 Magnum.

Just not that many people looking for them.

First of all, I have never sold a gun and likely never will. It's just not something I would do. I don't really care about making money, because I will never sell it. Plus, I said that I wanted a savage because I can easily change the barrel, and Savages are fairly well-known as an accurate gun. Plus, Savage actions are looked for pretty often, and I would imagine there is a good market for used Savage guns, mostly sold just for the action. But this is getting off task, back to discussion about .300 win mag vs. .30-06.

Navyvet - believe me, I seriously considered a TC Encore, but I just would rather get a bolt action.

Thanks,

John

But this is getting off task, back to discussion about .300 win mag vs. .30-06.
You've disagreed with everyone who said a 30-06 is a better choice, and you've disagreed with everyone who said Savage isn't the best brand.

I think you had your mind made up before the OP, and just want someone to tell you what you want to hear, so here you are:

Just go ahead and buy a 300 Mag Savage

I did have my mind made up about the Savage. I stated that in the original post. I was leaning towards the .300 win mag, I will admit it, but I was certainly not set on the magnum. I appreciate the opinions and input everyone gave about my choice, but when someone says something to me about my choice for a savage, I ask them simply to read the OP. I am still not decided on a caliber, but my opinion is as follows: I would really like the .300 WM, and I would gladly choose it over the .30-06, if it wasn't more expensive. I value the input of all TFL members, and they definitly showed me how dedicated and knowledgable many people are about firearms.

Thank you again for all your help,

John

Navyvet - believe me, I seriously considered a TC Encore, but I just would rather get a bolt action.

Fully understand... The single shot does have a couple of advantages if you are wanting to experiment with different loadings. You don't have to be concerned about max OAL of the round, so you could load the round quite long for caliber. The Encore that I own has a very light trigger. This is the only Encore that I've ever shot, so I don't know if all of them are that way, but it is probably the lightest trigger that I've ever experienced.

On another forum, someone recently mentioned the rolling block action. I had not ever bothered to look at how they worked and was curious, so I looked it up to compare it with other actions that I was familiar with. I really liked the simplicity of the action and I think I would even prefer it over the break action Encore. Especially if someone came up with a rolling block design that allowed for barrels that could be easily swapped. Firing from a benchrest, the rolling block design would have definite advantages to a break action design.

cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody lock this thread. Others have been locked that were far more intriguing than this one is getting to be. Further discussion and advice is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back