300 PRC is it?

I'll let you know when the Hart rifle arrives. According to Bob its going to be 3-4 months to complete the build. On a similar note I actually found Hornady dies and brass for the 300 PRC so the reloading components are out there now. Haven't seen any factory ammo yet from Hornady but heard its coming soon.

Ron

Another hype caliber for the weekend picnic table snipers to internet argue ballistics for months. Probably be another 224 Valkyrie story.... I fell prey to the 6.5 club and at the end of the day i'm still struggling to get my 6.5CM McRees Precision barrel to shoot consistently sub moa beyond 300 yds. Seems like I need to test those dam expensive Berger Hybrids !!

Stick with the 300wm or the WSM, those are the ones that will last. The others will be gone like summer.

I'm happy with my 300 Wby, which has been around a lot of years, and I'll stick with it in this caliber range. Only thing I don't like about it how much it costs to feed, but I don't shoot it all that much so it's not a big deal.

Its just a marketing name. If and I mean IF the DoD decides to tackle it, just maybe it will get traction. I don't see any significant gains over the others in that caliber. So I can't see why they or anybody else would switch. Especially if your tooled up for something else. I think its pretty safe to say the majority of us don't like change.... If Hornady want to give me a rifle and unlimited ammo as a sponsor to promote it. Then by all means I'll be back on here singing a different tune!

Tallest said:
But the 6.5CM was doing something others .260/6.5mm rounds hadn't.
Not to wade into a pissing contest, but I fail to see were the 6.5 CM did something the 260 Remington did not do. If I recall correctly, the 260 Rem was winning comps before the 6.5 CM was a gleam in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, Remington screwed the pooch on it's intro. The 260 is a handloader's dream, and I have both. I will submit there is not a nickel's difference between them and both work well in a short action.

Nunya

Not to wade into a pissing contest, but I fail to see were the 6.5 CM did something the 260 Remington did not do. If I recall correctly, the 260 Rem was winning comps before the 6.5 CM was a gleam in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, Remington screwed the pooch on it's intro. The 260 is a handloader's dream, and I have both. I will submit there is not a nickel's difference between them and both work well in a short action.

Nunya
The one thing the 6.5CM does that the .260 doesn't is allow very long, very aerodynamic bullets to fit in a short action and chamber appropriately for that purpose. I'm not saying that it is better, or that it would even be my preference. I would choose the .260 every time, especially since I reload. But if you like the 6.5s and you want to shoot really far, (and those are you're only two considerations), the 6.5cm makes the most sense of those three.

I believe there are some advantages to this cartridge if you boil it down. Caliber was designed around the mag box or ground up to accept longer bullets. Also plenty of powder that burns more efficiently to push larger bullets further with increased accuracy. Bullet doesn't sit on powder. I do agree with most its another 30 caliber but there are some advantages with the 300 PRC versus whats out there today. I think the same was said about the 6.5 Creedmoor but look how its evolved.

Ron

This Cartridge would be right up my alley. The problem though, (at least for the near future) is the lack of factory built rifles that the masses can afford. Without a broad distribution, or DOD support. Its likely that it may not fail, but also may not get the attention it deserves.

I agree that this cartridge ballistically isn't terribly different than other currently produced. Although I also agree that Like the 6.5 Creedmoor. The PRC will accomplish what the 300 WM can not. Being able to load those very long, high BC 308 bullets without being as deeply seated into the case. Effectively out performing the 300 win mag (I assume slightly.) With longer bullets without being over pressure. In the same length action, or an action only slightly larger. Like the RUM Action.

The 300 PRc would definitely be something I was interested in. And I can see the advantages it has over the 300 win mag and why it would appeal to certain people... Like I said Just like the 6.5 creedmoor

6.5 Creedmoor is the new Hillary's email server.

Hornady generally doesn't do junk cartridges--IMO they are tops of all the manufacturers in developing well-thought out cartridges. I reload the 375 Ruger and think it's a brilliant and versatile design; I expect it would need some neck turning work necking it down that far from a 375--so I cringe at what I imagine the roll-out factory case prices might be for the 300PRC. I guess the competition shooters will pay anything if it brings them any competitive advantage.;)

Tallest,

Noooo....

The action length is the same.
The Manbun just lets you load those long bullets into an AR type magazine, without intruding into the powder space.

Single feed bolt match rifle, who give a hoot about an AR magazine?
It's this realm where the 260 outshines the Manbun.

PA,
The Manbun has evolved due to advertising.
Person X decided that if you overfill it with Pixie dust, and use the magic wand barrel, you can hunt T Rex at 8 miles.
In the case of the 30 PRC, pushing a heavier bullet faster, with the increased felt recoil, is not all together inducive to better accuracy. Quite the opposite actually.
Hence why the 6mm, and 6.5mm are doing better than the 300's and 338's at long range matches.

Kilo,
Donor action, barrel.... Load and shoot.
375 Ruger parent case. Form, load, shoot.
It's not as expensive as you might make it out to be, with "lack of factory rifles". At least you can still find reasonably priced 375 Ruger casings.
Try my wildcats using the 425 WR casings!!!
Then we can talk about expense... lol

PA,
Sounds schweet!
I'm interested in optics choice also.
Keep us appraised!

I'm interested in the 7mm version. Gunwerks got with Hornady on that one. It's the 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum).

There are a few press releases on the Barrett website regarding their current progress. I think that the success of the MRAD, M107 etc will likely get Barrett the contract for the 300 PRC based rifle(s).

Looking back, i feel like i should reword a previous post concerning the 6.5CM.

What i should have said was that F-Class, and bolt action bench rest shooters would benefit from the increased capacity of the 260 Rem.

PRS shooters, while sometimes shooting long range, would be concerned with rounds fitting in a magazine. Hence the 6.5CM would benefit them.

Back