30-30

But if you mention pointed bullets and 30-30 in the reloading section watch the guys freak out about chain fires before you even mention single shot or bolt action.

I won't freak out because of an experiment I did many years ago. I took a remington 150 spitzer pointy bullet and primed a 30-30 case and drilled a hole in my work bench for the case to fit into.

Then I held that "pointy" bullet with a pair of pliers and placed the bullet against the primer and hammered away. I beat that bullet up so bad it had to be thrown away. I never did get it to set off the primer in the case. I then took the primed case and dropped it in my marlin and fired it to make sure the primer was still good.

So I don't worry about pointed bullets in a tube magazine. Like gunplummer stated most pointy bullets are designed for higher velocities anyway. But you can get lighter weight spitzers designed for specialty pistols like the TC contenders that will work at lower velocity. But most do not have the needed cannelure and on some the ogive will be inside the case mouth to keep the OAL so the round will cycle in the action.

Besides if you think you need the extra range a spitzer will give then you will most likely need higher velocity to go with it. And the 30 Winchester lever guns are not about long range. They are about light, handy guns with rounds suited to 200 yards or less. But they can be used at longer range but you will need a scope or better sighting system for a humane shot on game. My bud killed a deer just over 300 yards away but his 30-30 Marlin has a Leupold 2x7 scope on it. He held just over the backed and killed a buck with a back of the lungs hit.

I gotta ask, do you have the saddle to go with that ring?

Well actually here is what happened. I ran into a mint condition Texan that had no saddle right (just the hole in the receiver where it was supposed to be.) Made in 1969. Got it cheap!

Well the one you see in the photo I got later. It had a gold saddle ring. Bought the gun, put the gold ring on the mint one for collecting, and then ordered the blue one to fill that hole.

The 1967 one, being well used, became my hunting gun. Yes two Texans!

Wish I could find a Marlin 336 Marauder in .35 Remington! I've handled one but never owned or shot one.

Deaf

In 1969 I worked in the sporting goods department at JC Penney's. As a 19 year old gun nut, felt I'd died and gone to heaven. We sold those Buffalo Bill Commemoratives like hotcakes at $79. I got one with my discount for $73 and gave it to my FIL. Rifles and carbines. Always liked those octagon barrels. When even younger I'd go over to a friend's house to watch Outer Limits on TV. I didn't care about the show so much as they'd let me hold their old 26", octagon barreled Model 94 in 25-35. The family had killed a lot of deer in the Ruby Mountains with it over three generations. I still remember it as one of the coolest rifles I've ever known.

I grew up hunting the northeast woods, and "back in the day" the first thing any "smart" hunter did when they got a saddle ring carbine was to take the saddle ring OFF. Most threw them away.

Some of us kept them on the gun and just wound them with a rawhide thong, so that when they did flop and strike the receiver there was no metal on metal "clink" sound to spook game.

I can see the sense on horseback, but on foot, in the deep woods, the ring is no benefit and can be a detriment on a stalk, unless "muffled".

In post #10 I listed 3 winchester 30-30s and now all are sold and none went for the crazy prices winchesters were selling for a few years ago. I think the bubble on these guns has burst.

Oh, no no no 44 AMP! That saddle ring is TACTICAL!

Yes, just get a sling and loop it through the saddle ring (yes a 'one point' sling system.)

You can walk through the woods with it that way. When your arms get tired just let it hang down by the saddle ring. Works very well.

Deaf

If you want to let it hang, get a safari sling. Boone Packer is one. Sorta like a guitar, they also make military style, with barrel down.

Problem is easier to get snow in the barrel. But I am not sure I will ever sling one over my shoulder again. Maybe if I learn how to use one to steady shot.

I suspect the OP observed Winchester Model 94 .30-30 rifles since the Model 92 was never chambered in .30-30 (I believe.) I have a great Model 92 in .25-20 and will not part with it while I am alive.

Today fired my Marlin 336 with handloaded 170s and LeveRevolution powder.

Used max charge so it gets the 170 at 2300 fps. For once the benchrest recoil hurt some! Standing was no biggie as one roll with the recoil.

25 yard group of 1/2 an inch or less and spot on with the sights.

Shot my Yugo folding stock AK at the same time. 25 yard groups from bench rest were about an inch using Wolf Ruskie ammo. Since the gun weighs more than my 336, is less powerful, and gas operated it was just easy to shoot. And the Yugo trigger is so much better that when standing the Yugo outshot my 336!

Still as long as I kneel/sit/go prone the 336 will outshoot the Yugo and hit much harder.

Deaf

It is at the border of Mason and Holt they are south of Lansing Michigan the game of the shop is Total Firearms

Thanks, Deerhunter. Unfortunately, though I travel all over Michigan; up, down and all around, I never seem to get even close to the Lansing area.

Back