30-30

"...Stay away from Commemoratives..." Far away, if you think you'll ever want to sell it. They're probably the worst investment firearm possible. They're only collectable when still sealed in the original box with all the paperwork that came with it. Even then you'd have to find somebody who wants it. Absolutely nothing 'special' about 'em. They're just gussied up Win 94's in a fancy box with some engraving. Even a Canadian Centennial. snicker.
"...Winchester 94 32 Special..." Ammo will not be in small places.
If you want a .30-30, buy a Marlin M336.

I do like the looks of a Canadian Centennial. The maple leaves don't look that bad.

I saw a Buffalo Bill at Cabelas this weekend in the $250-299 range. Can't remember but it looked mint. Selling aside it would be well worth the price to hunt with.

Not the actual picture.
21665724_4.jpg

If I see a good, clean 30-30 either Marlin or Winchester for $250-300 I will buy it. Even if its a commemorative. I will shoot those too. Nothings so sacred to me that I would not use it. They were supposed to be tools, remember?

I have both 357 and 44 mag Marlins. The 357 is my favorite of all the guns I own. But a 30-30 and the ability to reload for it makes it a versatile gun. And if you look long enough they can be found for not a lot of money. Especially if they are a little skinned up. You can refinish the stock and give it new life.

Learn to stalk and hunt and a 30-30 will kill just about every game animal we have here. t would not be my choice for a Grizzly Bear rifle but it has been used for that before.

Here is a good read on the 30-30 from one of my favorite sites.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030again.htm

Last edited:
Thats why I promote reloading in so many of my post. Reloading not only saves money but let's you customize your loads from small game to full power loads.

I built my reloading kit over several years as different tools were needed until I have all I need now. Plus I have been stocking brass, bullets and powder for years. Ammo shortages have no affect on me.

They must be doing something new with 30-30 ammo because this is the second time this week I've heard someone say it's expensive.

I was just at the store and Winchester powerpoints 150 grain boxes of 20 were $15 and the same in 30-06 was $20.

I may reload but always buy the Winchester powerpoints for deer hunting with the 30-30.

I agree, Blindstitch. Factory 30-30 ammunition has always been as cheap as any other typical "deer hunting" cartridges in my neck of the woods. Remington 170 grain "Core-Lokt" bullets, however, have been my preference for whitetails over the years when hunting with my Winchester Model 94 carbine, chambered for the .30-30 cartridge.

Hornady makes their Leverevolution soft polymer pointed tip bullets in .32 Special. It's not that expensive. Remmy Core-Locts are $20 a box or so. Hornadys are about the same or a touch more. I have my late Father's 94 in .32 Special. Cabela's usually has the ammo in stock.

Remember when Walmart used to run Winchester and Remington 30-30 ammo on sale before deer season for around $7.00 a box? That's where a lot of my brass came from. I would buy 5 boxes at a time. I couldn't reload it for that. I loved shooting my 30-30.

If you shoot so much 30-30 that you think $15-$16 dollars a box is expensive, order it in bulk online. Then you can sell half the case to your buddys for $18 a box. I hate WALMART, but even they don't charge $20 for a box of 30-30. Where is this nonsense coming from?

I hate WALMART, but even they don't charge $20 for a box of 30-30. Where is this nonsense coming from?

Federal Power Shok is 14.00 per 20 rounds at WM here and my 30-30 loves it.

Do any of you reloaders load "pointy" bullets in your 30-30? My brother had one that he would load a round into the camber and a second round in the tube magazine. He liked the 125 and 130 grain spitzer bullets for deer. He was quite ethical using head and neck shots only.

I load pointy bullets. I wasn't reloading anything in the 30 caliber area besides 30-30 and was given 500 random 30 caliber projectiles.

I treat my 30-30 as a single shot when using pointy bullets but there were several bolt actions out there in 30-30. But if you mention pointed bullets and 30-30 in the reloading section watch the guys freak out about chain fires before you even mention single shot or bolt action.

Yep, my 30-30 is a single shot with a 24 inch barrel. I don't hunt with it but it is a "hunting" rifle. It has been known to shoot sub 1/2" groups with my hunting loads but 3/4" is more typical. I use very light bullets in it 110 to 130 grain varmint bullets an limit my shooting to a two inch point blank range which goes out to 170 yards or so with all bullets. Shooting head shots on coyotes is easy.

My favorite deer rifle... yes a 30/30.

attachment.php

When I was 16-17 my mother traded a refrigerator to my uncle for a Marlin 336 Texan carbine. When I saw it I just about died... took her a while but finally I got a REAL deer rifle (my cut down Spanish 93 Mauser from Gibson Discount Center was not a 'real deer rifle' you see.)

Got my first five buck deer with that gun. Well over the years I traded it off, but about a year ago I got the hanker for another one. Mine was made in 1967.. just about the age of my first Texan. Skinner Minimalist aperture sight and a blued saddle ring and it's fully operational.

Deaf

Deaf Smith,
That's a nice looking gun! I gotta ask, do you have the saddle to go with that ring?;)
I like the looks of lever action carbine... maybe some day I will buy one. It will be after I fill in my bolt collection with a 40, 45, and 50 caliber so I have at least one gun in steps of .05 from 25 to 50. and then I have to fill out the metric from 6 to 10mm. Oh, and handguns sets to match the rifles in the same calibers (not the same cartridges though) :)

It has been pointed out many times on this forum that pointed 30-30 bullets in a tube fed lever action being more accurate is nothing but a gun writer myth. The action itself will not let it show any noticeable difference. It is a bad idea anyway for hunting. Most pointed .308 bullets are not designed to open up at 30-30 velocities.

Back