280 AI or .270

I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with what I bought...I bought what I wanted and needed...with 30 years of rifles under my belt, I can decide for myself...I don't give a rats behind what anybody else thinks of what "l" got for myself...and don't appreciate you implying that that is my motivation.

You're wrong...

And Jim Jones? Really....that was a bit much too.

And here I thought we were having a good discussion.

No, hey, I'm just kidding. I'm just messing with you, since taylorce said something about "koolaid". You know a lot more than I do, and you've backed up your assertions with careful proof. There's no right or wrong here. I had a .280 AI and still believe it's one of the best goldilocks rounds going, with a solid reason for being. Please don't let my jack-arse comments discourage the excellent discussion. :)

Last edited:
Ridgerunner665, I lower the 270Wby velocity to match yours on paper so don't feel too good about your 280AI.

Problem you got is again, you haven't even loaded or have rifle don't even know if 3100fps at 800yd would be accurate load much less 1000yds.

Nosler used 26" barrel for the 150gr max velocity was 3107fps and Hodgdon used 24" barrel for 150gr max @ 2932fps. Nosler has Trophy Grade LR ammo and 280AI with 150gr ABLR is only 2930fps.

My wife's 280AI with 25.5" Kreiger barrel she shoots 150gr TSX she was max mid 2900fps with H-4831sc using Nolser data then changed over to IMR-7828sc and just little more than max load velocity at the low end 3100fps.

One little update...just acquired a few boxes of 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets.

If those work out, I may never try the Accubond LR bullets, lol...I'm thinking about canceling the backorder for those bullets

BC of the 160 is .531, which is pretty accurate based on what I can find...and lots of 280 AI's are really accurate with them at about 3,000 fps...not quite as flat shooting as the 150 ABLR but still pretty darn flat, and it gets to 800 with enough velocity to expand.

Last edited:
I did cancel the backorder for the 150 grain ABLR's...I may still try them in the future.

I have a few rounds loaded...some with 140 Accubonds and some with 160 Accubonds...still no rifle yet.

Spoke to Nosler today...looks like it will be at least the last week of November before I get the rifle, maybe even a week or 3 longer.

I haven't forgotten about this though...I will update it when I get some rounds fired.

IMHO: Never cared to own a 7mm anything.
Historical fact: 270 cartridge has a 34 year head start over the 280 or 7mm Express or 280 again or what ever its called and its cousins also> (280-IM.) Although a 280 IM has a substantial increase in ballistics's over the venerable 270. One thing to keep in mind. 270 is, and always will be one of those cartridges that its so called competition try as they may never quite measure up.

And to think, you could just go out and buy a nice 270 Winchester while you're waiting for the Nosler..... As I've probably mentioned elsewhere, my model 70 routinely goes to 3,000 fps with 150 Nosler Partitions. It's a beautiful rifle too with real Walnut. I'm sure the Nosler 280AI will be a solid performer too. I hope it's worth the wait and price. Let us know how it turns out. I think 160needs will wring out the most you can get out of it.

I could build AI but choose to stay with standard calibers..

The 270win has been here a long long time, it has always been a sterling performer, what ever the AI will do the 270 will come close to duplicating plus components are cheaper (brass) that is if you can find the AI brass.. Ammunition is available for the 270 Winchester virtually everywhere so why have you fellows got the hots for something that is harder to find more expensive to load for or buy ammunition from Nosler for a round that is a proprietary round because Nosler changed the configuration of the case. I'm betting the animal you shoot will not be any deader with Nosler's version of the AI which differs from Ackleys drawings so they can put their name on it.. Somewhere I must be missing something or maybe you've made the AI into a super caliber, if I wanted to duplicate a 280Imp or beat it I would go with the 7MM Rem Mag and get a mag and be done with it knowing it will handle anything up to a 175gr bullet and do it without a big fuss when doing it.. So you want an expensive rifle with expensive ammunition and difficult to find case with a single source. If I wanted an Ackley Improved chambering I would use a Ackley configured reamer and ream out a 280 Remington chamber use 280 Remington brass to load and call it done. Your making this a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be.. William/TSJC Trinidad, Colorado 2001

Last edited:
Nosler and P.O. Ackley chambers are not interchangeable!

PaulB got it right Nosler's version of the Ackley Improved differs from P.O. Ackleys drawings/chambering, you cannot use standard 280Rem ammunition or cases and form cases for the Nosler chamber. You have to go back to Nosler for cases or ammunition for their rifle, as we say here there isn't/ain't no short cut for this chambering.. I have no idea what Nosler charges for cases or ammunition but I'm betting the standard 280Rem ammo or cases is a whole lot cheaper!! William

If I could not fire form cases from regular 280AI I would avoid it. If you want more performance then what a 270 Win offers get a 270 WSM, I am very impressed with mine, outperforming my 7mm Rem Mag and less felt recoil then my 30-06 despite being a light 6.5lbs rifle. Brass is very well designed, thick and strong with an efficient short powder column and a sharp shoulder to reduce case stretch, and I know that inherent accuracy is a sticky issue but this thing has been a literal tack driver for me. Only downside is much like the 7mm Rem Mag it is a massive nasty overkill on deer at close range, I bring mine out if I am fully expecting shots 200 yards+ to be the norm.

The "new" 280 AI can still use/fire form plain old 280 Rem brass...same as always...280 AI brass is just as easy to find as 270 Win brass (because you can make 280 AI brass from 270 Win brass :-) ....I can get brass from anybody that makes or sells brass.

The chamber difference thing is WAAAAAAY overblown....Maybe even a complete misunderstanding.

Why the 280 Ackley? Why the Nosler rifle?

Because I wanted to....

Last edited:
I've read this until I'm not sure who's right, I don't intend to have this chambering in any of my rifles so it really doesn't matter. If I wanted more than what a 280 Remington could safely handle I would go with the Remington 7mm magnum. I have two .270's and like them both, I have two .280 Remingtons and like them both, personally I do think their are differences between the two chamberings but if you can use standard 280Rem cases in the Nosler version and fire form cases then I say go for it.. William

Last edited:
No they do not say that...matter of fact...they say the exact opposite....I'll post the link in a second (soon as I find it)

Last edited:
From the link....

When the 280 Ackley Improved was developed and standardized through the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) by Nosler®, the decision was made to honor Mr. Ackley’s original design intent by headspacing the cartridge such that standard 280 Remington ammunition would chamber with slight (.003”/.004”) crush at the shoulder/neck intersection and fire form into the Ackley chamber without the need to seat the bullet into the rifling.

Back