270 WSM

I had pretty much forgot about this site. First time I've logged in since 2013. Anyway, my experience is with the 270 WSM in a Browning A bolt and 300 WSM in the Browning X bolt. I held out for a long time before buying the first one because of all the talk that the WSM's would not survive. Although I doubt they will ever be as popular as the original cartridges, I don't see either of these two dying out anytime soon. I couldn't be happier with the two. I have a bunch of hunting rifles in a variety of calibers and these two are my go to guns 9 out of 10 times. If I could only pick one, I would go with the 300 WSM. the accuracy is as good as any of my rifles. To get the full potential out of a 300 WM or a 300 Weatherby mag, you need to go with the 26 in barrel. The 300 WSM is close in ballistics as the other two with a 22 in barrel in the short action which is lighter. The difference in a pound or 2 or a few inches in barrel length doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you have lugged it around all day long. My 8 yr old daughter hunts with me a lot of the time now so I end up hauling around 2 guns half the time. I've never followed along with the old line that always gets used "Well you can't walk into any hardware store in the country and find WSM cartridges" or "every hardware store in the country stocks 270 and 30-06." I've hunted all over the world and never found myself having to go buy cartridges at the local hardware store. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another in either of the two calibers. Although I have no experience with it, I've heard good things about the 325 WSM as well
Well I'm glad I could bring you back to the site! I kid.

Good info. I've actually been bouncing back and forth between 300 and 270 WSM. 300 WSM for its versatility.

Full disclosure: my dad shoots a 325 WSM Browning BAR and loves it. I was impressed with the round. I did hunt with a buddy who had a 300 WSM and he shot many deer with it. I, however, haven't shot any WSM though.

I found a Remington 700 WSM used locally that was smooth as butter! It was a bit scuffed and they wanted a premium. I'll think about it a bit.

I would live to find a Winchester XPR in 270 WSM or 300 WSM. IDK if they're selling them again after that recall though. Maybe I'll fork over the money and get a winchester 70.

I have two .270 WSM rifles. I bought one and built one. The round is basically the ballistic identical of the .270 Win. If you reload, the two rounds are a toss up. If you rely on factory ammo the .270 Win. seems to be the most logical choice.

One more purpose of this thread to throw at you guys... if I decide to pick up a 270/300 WSM, what rifle do you recommend? Saw Savage has a 10/110 in 270 WSM... cheap, light and great action...

I own 2 savage rifles, a Precision Carbine model 10 in .308 Win. and a 116 in 6.5-284. The stock on the 116 is pretty much crap but it does work and I have not replaced it yet. I have never like the way Savage rifles look but their reputation for function and accuracy finally convinced me to give them a try. They have not disappointed me at all.

I have a 270 WSM and love it. It is 150 fps faster than 270 Win, but in a shorter handier rifle. Mine is a sub moa rifle. Most 270 WSM will be MOA shooters because the short fat case is inherently consistent, and efficient. If you have a WSM that wont shoot you are in the minority. Now when I hunt deer everthing takes a back seat to that 270 WSM. Partly becase it helped me successfully drop a buck at such a long range at dark, that I am pretty sure no 270 Win or 06 would have worked.
If I were picking up a new one it would be a Sako,Tikka, Kimber in that order.

Last edited:
I have a 270 WSM and love it. It is 150 fps faster than 270 Win, but in a shorter handier rifle. Mine is a sub moa rifle. Most 270 WSM will be MOA shooters because the short fat case is inherently consistent, and efficient. If you have a WSM that wont shoot you are in the minority. Now when I hunt deer everthing takes a back seat to that 270 WSM. Partly becase it helped me successfully drop a buck at such a long range at dark, that I am pretty sure no 270 Win or 06 would have worked.
Good commentary on the 270 WSM! Which rifle do you have?

I'm excited to keep researching. I've heard tell of beautiful accuracy! Glad you're enjoying the round!

WSM

I have to agree with a good many other folk's comments on here that to 300 wsm in the pick of the litter in the WSM calibers. And I agree with the #4 comment to look at a .280 if you want something not as common.

I am biased to those two calibers because I deer hunt with 3 guns; a Savage 300 wsm, Remington 700 mountain rifle .280, and a Rem 700 243.

I have killed roughly 30 deer with the 300 wsm with 150 grain Hornady SST's moving along around 3200-3250 FPS and I have never tracked a deer with it. With shoulder shots they are dead before they hit the ground. Behind the shoulder one of two things happen they hit the ground or they bow up and are dead with in 10-30 yards. I have made sub par shots on running deer and hit them dead center of the guts and the 150 grain ballistic liquifies the internals and they simply just die usually with in sight. I have shot whitetail every way you can shoot them with the 300 WSM and none have made it over 50-60 yards even with sub par shots like gut shots on a couple deer. Shoulder or behind the shoulder you watch that deer die either where it was standing or very close to where it was standing but a lot of calibers do the exact same thing. Entry and exit holes are very impressive. Recoil is well lighter felt than any 30-06 I have ever shot.

The .280 same story as the 300 WSM. Just simply a good caliber with the selection of 7mm bullets.

I really love a .270 Win. The 270 WSM is a great caliber like many others. If I already owned a 270 Win and was interested in a WSM caliber I think I would get a 7mm or 300 to simply have something different because there is very little difference between a 270 win and 270 WSM. If I didn't own either and was dead set on getting a .27 caliber I would give the advantage to the long action based on how a long action feeds and being able to hold a couple more rounds in the magazine. Rarely is more than one shot needed but it is nice knowing I have 5 rounds instead of 3 when doing deer drives shooting at running deer.

That's my thoughts but to cut to the chase the 270 WSM is a fine round. Can't go wrong with it but the fact that you mentioned using it for elk in the future you just can't go wrong with the 300 WSM cartridge out of all the WSM family because of the selection of weight bullets you have to choose from. 270 WSM is very capable of handling elk but the confidence I have in a 30 Cal bullet is very high.

Last edited:
WSM cases

The WSM family are shooters. Like said above if you have a WSM that isn't sub MOA you are defiantly the minority.

By Brother in Law hunts with a 270 WSM and it does some devastating damage on Whitetails.

If I had the money I would get one in the Nosler 48 Liberty

Last edited:
The primary purpose of the WSM cartridges is to add another rifle to your cabinet and another sale for a firearm company. ALL the "gaps" were filled long ago. Especially for handloaders.

dxr

The WSM family are shooters. Like said above if you have a WSM that isn't sub MOA you are defiantly the minority.

By Brother in Law hunts with a 270 WSM and it does some devastating damage on Whitetails.

If I had the money I would get one in the Nosler 48 Liberty

A good alternative to the Nosler rifle at lower cost is to order a custom build from E.R. Shaw.

http://ershawbarrels.com/

I have two .270 WSM's, 3 7 WSM's, a .300 WSM, and a .338WSM. I guess my biggest hang up I have with the cartridge is the fact the action is so short. To many, that might be a positive. I use all of them for bean field rifles and mount high powered optics on them. Big, long, scopes look stupid and mount awkward on the short action. All in all, I like the WSM's but scope mounting is my biggest draw back with the concept of a short action magnum.

Since short action is mentioned for WSM. One big problem is OAL and load density with some of the longer bullets. Nosler 210gr LRAB is little over 1.5" long so you got almost 1/2 bullet length in the case.

The purpose of the WSM line is quite simply this: To exceed the 30-06 family in performance, in a short action rifle, and to do this with a modern beltless case.

They do this quite well. Nothing is perfect. The trade off is a round of capacity in the magazine.

As a point of interest, I have chronographed my top load with a 160 grain Nosler bullet from my 25" barreled 270 Winchester built on a Mauser.
Using a max safe load of H4831 I get readings that average 2791 FPS

With my Benelli R1 270 WSM using the same bullet I got an average of 2874 using the top load of H1000 powder. I chronographed several powders and none gave me 2900, but some were just a bit faster than H1000. None of the other powders I tried were anywhere near as accurate in my Benelli.

My point is this:
There is nothing at at all wrong with the 270 short mag. My Benelli is finicky about ammo, but many 270 WSMs are not. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well.
However the original 270 Winchester is not very far behind at all and does all the same things the WSM does, and does them just as well. "Same things" being the killing of game animals.

The extra 83 FPS I get from my short mag is fine, but I cannot be convinced that it matters on any game on earth. I like my Short mag, but I like my standard 270s too. I see no difference on the deer, antelope and elk I have killed with them.

The ballistic table I am reading shows me that the Short Mag starting the same bullet at 83 FPS faster is going the same speed as the standard 270 at 42 yards as the 270 Win is at the muzzle.

So you can say the 270WSM is the exact same "game getting recipe" as the 270 Winchester,------ but with an additional 42 yards of range.

Nothing wrong with that. But I don't see it as an answer to any problem either. The standard 270 has a very long reach already. I can't see that 42 extra yards is going to help it in reality.

In my opinion the short mags serve one purpose more that any other.
that is to sell something new.

As I said before, I see nothing wrong with them, but I don't see them as doing anything in the game fields that we have not had available to us for many many years.

The 300 Short mags give the same performance with 180 grain bullets and lighter that the regular 300 mags do. Ballistics we have has since 1920. (With the 200 and 220 grain bullets you have advantages in the older shells however.)
The 7mm Short mag is going to do everything the the 7MM Rem mag does.
Ballistics we have has since 1961.

In my opinion, short mags would be best offered in Lever actions, pumps and autos because such actions can be made more compact if they use short cartridges. They offer no advantage at all in bolt actions.

Some will say the short action is stiffer and therefore more accurate, but that theory and facts don't line up in my 48 years of gunsmithing.

I have made more rifles in 06 length and standard magnum length cartridges than I can count, and nearly all of them shot groups under MOA. A few have shot groups regularly under 1/2 MOA with probably 30 of them.
What? .........that not good enough? For who and for what game animal?

I have worked on a LOT of the short mags in the last 15 years and I have NOT been disappointed with their accuracy. One that deserves to be a lot more popular is the 325 Win Short Mag. I have had 6 come through my shop in need to breaks to tame the recoil, but holy cow are they accurate! (ammo cost is killing them, and probably not helping sales in any other short mag either)

The 325 WSM is the equal to the 8mm Rem mag and again I see nothing to complain about. But ballisticly, it's not really something new.

So I am not convinced the short mags are all that and a bag of chips.

They are equal in most cases, but not superior any any case I have seen yet.

In the Browning BLR and the Browning short track autos I can see a real nitch market that the short mags fill better than standard magnums. If other gun manufacturers would follow Browning's lead, I might recommend short magnums a lot more, but in bolt actions I have found the standard 06 length, 300 Win. length and 375H&H length actions and shells offer all the short mags do, and sometimes a bit more.

Last edited:
A pretty fair assessment, but I feel that if you were to take an average of top velocity loads across several bullet weights among barrels of equal length, the difference would be more than 83 fps.

Thwre are some pretty hot old 270 Win loads around too

Last edited:
dvdcrr, I did work loads with 130, 140 150 and 160 grain bullets.
I also used H1000, H4831, IMR 4831, AA3100, RL19, RL21, IMR 4350 and IMR 7828.

My Mauser has 1" more barrel then my short mag, but that's not a lot.

However I will point out that many 270 Winchester factory barrels are cut at 22" instead of 24 or 25, so in the cases of the shorter barrels I am sure the Mag is going to be a over 100 FPS faster, but that is not an accurate comparison of cartridges.
We can compare guns and get almost any results we want, but it's not good science.
I will point out that some Custom Contenders were chambered in 300 Win Mag and they don't do as well from a 14" barrel as a 30-06 does from a 22" barrel. But that's not a good comparison of cartridges.

Using like bullets in like barrel lengths at like pressures the 270 Short Mag beat the 270 Winchester in velocity every time, but never by more than about 130 FPS, and in all cases where I wanted to get maximum accuracy the Mag never did beat my 24 and 25 inch 270 Winchesters by more than about 80 FPS.

As I said before, I am not bashing the WSM. Far from it. It works very well.

I just think it's a "reinvention of the wheel". A very good wheel, but not really anything new.

The 270 WSM is new because it represented beltless magnum performance exceeding 270 Win in a short action rifle. Some folks really value the short action, and the 24" Kimber for example save at least a pound over your average long action. So you give me 130 fps advantage, and a pound lighter I will take that every time. Currently I am shooting 130 gr. Sierra over 64.5 gr. of RL 19. out of my 24" barrel. This round is flat out HOT and outshoots my 257 Weatherby Vanguard which is a 3/4 moa rifle.

dvdcrr, What loads you using with 270 and 270WSM and I seen other post that your getting 150fps more with 270WSM?

This is what you posted.

Last edited:
According to Nosler bullet company, reloading edition #5 with 130 grain max loads, 24" barrels, max velocity for 270 Win is 3158 fps load is 54.0 gr. W760. Can you beat that safely? From the same guide, max velocity for the WSM with 130 gr. is 3307 fps resulting from 65.5 gr. RL19.
If you average all listed max loads for both WSM beats 270 Win by at least 228 fps. The average max load for 270 Win tops out at 3049 fps. for 130 gr. The average max WSM is 3277 fps. I say at least because I left out a listed reduced charge for 270 win. That is according to Nosler. The 270 WSM test barrel was a 24" Wiseman. The 270 Win barrel was a 24" Shilen. The maximum load density for both was equal at 91%.
I am shooting below max at 64.5 gr RL19 because I am 0.005" into the lands.

Back