.270 Win vs 6.5 CM for Hunting

Pathfinder said:
You are certainly a fan of the 25-06.....

There was a certain, you know, "semi-famous" :p gunwriter back in the day who was "certainly a fan" of the .270... now people use that to fact to claim the superiority of that round over everything, possibly just shy of lightning from God himself.... yet the difference between a .270 and a .25-06 is about the width of this period -> . on each side of the bullet and about 1/2 the weight of a .22LR bullet in mass.

I'm not a huge fan of the .270 or the .25-06 in particular... but there are quite a few here that would say I'm "quite a fan" of the 7mm-08....

but I agree with Lohman446 "in the end, it simply does not matter".

But OP, the answer is 7mm-08 :p

Not hijacking the thread--blame it on Mobuck since he inspired me to throw together some partitions for my 25-06 savage axis and try them out. I only got a couple of groups tested before I was interrupted by the landowner's daughter and told I had to scoot. Things were looking promising with retumbo, until of course I pulled a shot in the group as I almost always do.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did run them through labradar--when you see the retained efficiency of both velocity and energy it's easy to see why there's a "cult" following for the cartridge. Biggest drawback I see is that the barrel gets real hot real fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 220
Stagpanther: The .22-250 was NOT banned by IF&W for hunting.

It was banned at a particular turkey shoot because I won so many turkeys with it. Not really fair, since I actually shot several deer with it and they allowed another guy to use it, after I bought/used a .270 Win.

Stagpanther: The .22-250 was NOT banned by IF&W for hunting.

It was banned at a particular turkey shoot because I won so many turkeys with it. Not really fair, since I actually shot several deer with it and they allowed another guy to use it, after I bought/used a .270 Win.
I didn't think so--got a buddy that uses a 22-250 but I don't know on what except maybe yotes. If I read the quirky rules correctly--I think we can use anything from 22 lr mag rimfire on up!:eek:

For many years, the largest deer harvested in Maine was killed with a .222 Remington. Saw that at the State House in the Sixties.

Really don't have a dog in this fight. I do have a .270. I like it. No 6.5 CM or .243. But, I'd like to think that powder and bullet improvements for the .243 have come a long, long way in recent years to improve that round.[.243].

I suggest you keep the .243 and the .270. Ditch the idea of the 6.5, since you already have the bases covered.

While there is nothign wrong with 6.5, there is nothing magic about it that makes it better than a 270 (for hunting)

If you were buying all new? Worth a considerations. What you have is two very good hunting rifles.

6.5 was underrated for a very long time as a hunting cartridge (me included) , its just getting its just due. But the fad is really in target shooting and that is moving to 6mm now.

Certainly for a second gun if you didn't have a 243 is a good choice (also low recoil) but its not going to magically do anything better.

I disagree its a fad for other than target, for target since the 308 came out there has been one fad after another. Whole different ball game.

Someone came out with a short 30 caliber PCP because it made a bigger whole and would sometimes be the difference between two shooters. Thats not real world hunting by any stretch.

Of course, if you replace Creedmore with Weatherby you have one hell of a hunting rifle. I just bought one today. Weatherby says it's the fastest 6.5 in the world. I'll put the Labradar on it and see.
6a7f158fee617d4dc12d5d256e8fa906.jpg

I see no point to a 6.5 CM given what you already have, and I'd take a 270 over a 6.5 for general hunting purposes anyway.

there is not a nickles worth of difference between the 6.5 CM and 270 win.

You are either bad at math or have not seen the prices of hunting ammo ...... CM was about 60 nickels more at the local big box mart ......

You are either bad at math or have not seen the prices of hunting ammo ...... CM was about 60 nickels more at the local big box mart ......
I've shot American Whitetail--an excellent over-the-counter ammo made by hornady--made in both Creedmoor and 270 win--logging onto midway usa I see there isn't even a penny's difference in price between them.;)

The .270 can kill coyotes and elk. So can the .243.
So can the 6.5.

If a new rifle is exciting and gets you out more or involved more then get it.

Back