.270 Win vs 6.5 CM for Hunting

6.5 or .270 for hunting? It doesn't matter.

Let's say we had a scale for hunting North American game. I don't know what all goes into it but lets just pretend we do.

We are going to call it the humane kill factor to take game X at Y yards or less with a well placed shot. Except for at the extremes of Y its not going to matter.

Let's say the "humane kill factor" number works out to be 40.

The 6.5 and the .270 likely score in the 80+ range (ok, I'm making this all up for illustration purposes but you get the point).

We can debate all day if the 6.5 scores 83 and the .270 scores 80 or vice versa. In the end it simply does not matter. We are so far into the "overkill" portion of the scale that it makes no difference.

6.5 or .270 for hunting? It doesn't matter.

Let's say we had a scale for hunting North American game. I don't know what all goes into it but lets just pretend we do.

We are going to call it the humane kill factor to take game X at Y yards or less with a well placed shot. Except for at the extremes of Y its not going to matter.

Let's say the "humane kill factor" number works out to be 40.

The 6.5 and the .270 likely score in the 80+ range (ok, I'm making this all up for illustration purposes but you get the point).

We can debate all day if the 6.5 scores 83 and the .270 scores 80 or vice versa. In the end it simply does not matter. We are so far into the "overkill" portion of the scale that it makes no difference.
Well stated! Except the 270 is green and the 6.5 is blue, and I prefer green. ;)

All that to say the decision will come down to preference.

Don't do it! The .243 Win and .270 are enough for whatever you need to do. The 6.5 fills a need for people who don't have the chamberings you have. :)

WHAT? No 25-06? tisk tisk tisk.

My problem with the 25-06 (besides low bullet weight) is LOTS of muzzle blast unless you shoot with a long barrel. I'm a fan of shorter barrel rifles in the woods.

I'm not a fan of the .270 and feel no joy with the hype piled on the 6.5C.
A 25/06 will shoot flatter than a 270 with less recoil and has a flatter trajectory at reasonable hunting ranges vs the 6.5C.

"You are certainly a fan of the 25-06....."

Yes sir, it does everything I ask w/o beating me up in the process. I've killed more BIG deer with it than some folks will ever see and put the smack down on some coyotes at surprising ranges.

"You are certainly a fan of the 25-06....."

Yes sir, it does everything I ask w/o beating me up in the process. I've killed more BIG deer with it than some folks will ever see and put the smack down on some coyotes at surprising ranges.
I bought a savage in 25-06--I also have a "soft spot" for .257 caliber--but what kind of bullet do you use for your hunting? I figure it's a tricky thing picking the right bullet.

Last edited:
Yes sir, it does everything I ask w/o beating me up in the process. I've killed more BIG deer with it than some folks will ever see and put the smack down on some coyotes at surprising ranges

Can't the same be said for basically any of the quarter bores, and the .243, through even the 270 and 6.5 that were originally discussed here.

We want to act like our preferred cartridge - be it the .243, the 25-06, the .257 Roberts, the 6.5 the .270 or a plethora of other options - is remarkably better than the rest of the plethora of options in there.

Its not.

Sorry. They are all FAR more alike than different and the only advantage one may have over the other is really pushing the boundaries of performance of that cartridge.

"just say no to the Creedmoor"

Oh gosh, is that funny or what? Great line from an earlier post.....thanks fella!

The CM is getting a LOT of press, and many a good rifle is getting traded away for a CM that will never get shot past 300 yds at much of anything. The flat shooting qualities of CM really come into their own past that distance. I'd speculate that the avg whitetailer can't realize the ballistic advantages of the CM due to the short range nature of the hunts. Quite some time back, one of our posters commented that the "CM filled the gap for him BETWEEN (my caps) the .243 and the .270" and I think that comment is very apt. More than the .243, not quite up to the .270. All one would need if whitetails were the only quarry. But, in my mind, too much for even a "heavy varminter", and I think I'd like more gun for elk, not that I'll ever get to hunt one.

I've thought long and hard about a CM in the Kimber Hunter, light, portabable, no frills stock and finish, but I've got rifles on either side of the power niche, and just can't justify it.

"but what kind of bullet do you use for your hunting? I figure it's a tricky thing picking the right bullet."

I'd been using a 100 grain BTSP as "universal" deer/coyote load until I began noticing a pattern of less than optimal penetration on the bigger bucks. We've shifted to more "trophy" type hunting and our farms are producing some bigger/older bucks that demand a bit more penetration and sometimes offer less than picture book shot presentations. Last year, I used Nosler "E-Tip" 100 grain ammo. Not enough use to really put in perspective but it does increase the penetration.
I'm taking the 25/06 on a cow elk hunt next month using 115 grain Nosler Partitions that are known to do the job.

I also have a couple of .243s and .270s that do the trick. I didn't have a .243 when attending turkey shoots, etc., so bought the .270 so I could load 90 grain Sierras for offhand target shooting, after my .22-250 was banned. It wasn't totally successful that way, but I learned to appreciate it for deer hunting out to 400 yards or so.

We have a permanent blind where we can see deer up to 500 yards, but the bullet would hit tree limbs before getting that far. The .270 hasn't failed me out to 400 yards and that's plenty for Maine hunting.

I've shot 130 Ballistic Tips, 130 Hornady GMX for deer, and 140 Nosler Accubond for moose (1-shot kill on 860 lb. Bull at 270 yards last year). I may use Accubonds for deer this year, since they have a great reputation and are very accurate.

I'm taking the 25/06 on a cow elk hunt next month using 115 grain Nosler Partitions that are known to do the job.
I've read lot's of reports that the 115 partition is a DRT in the 25-06. I unfortunately only have 120 gr partitions on hand, but I think I'll try them out anyway.;)

Back