.270 vs .30-06

Greater versatility with the 30-06.
Trajectory differences not enough to even talk about.
The .30 cal. heavier bullet is less affected by wind.
Personally, I think there was never a need to even invent the .270. Completely pointless.
Between the .223 and 30-06 there is no need for anything else.

If the 800-yard effort is a serious idea, go with the '06. It's strictly a bullet-selection thing. For hunting, particularly for the typical 200- to 300- yard shots in open country, it's six of one, half-dozen of the other.

The .30 cal. heavier bullet is less affected by wind.

150 gr .270 and 180 Gr .30-06 Berger bullets (as an example since we are talking long range) have almost the exact same BC. You would have to go really heavy with the -06 to gain any advantage with the wind. Which gets back to what I said earlier.. the rate of twist then becomes a big factor.

WinM70270.jpg

This is a 1956 Win M70 30-06 that I got used in 2005

The previous owner shot:
2 grizzlies
6 moose
10 mountain goats
6 sheep
109 Sitka Black tailed deer
16 black bear
2 caribou

Then he died, and his nephew sold it to me.

I put a different stock, barrel, scope, sling, and bi pod on it that add up to 8.75 pounds.
It is now a 270

I shot 4 mule deer with it in 2008.
I shot 4 mule deer with it in 2009.

I would wring them both out for accuracy and see which is the inherent better shooter.

Then go with the best one.

Lead Slead if its too close to call.

Both as good a cartridge as you will find on the planet.

"If I were to go on a trip to Wyoming, to shoot speed goats, I'd pack my .270 win, and plenty of 130 grn Ballistic tips."

Ummm... what's a speed goat?

:confused:

not knocking the .270 it seems well enough but I like the the .06 for range and versatility. Been around allot longer and can be loaded up or down for a variety of applications. But I look at shooting like racing "no replacement for displacement" .06 gets my vote

Of course we have.

Anyone here ever tried the .270 out past 400, 500...?
Certainly. Water filled milk jugs, 450 yards, sitting position, Winchester model 70 Classic Sporter. My rifle shoots best beyond 300 yards with 150 grain Nosler Partitions running near the red-line, 3,000 fps at the muzzle.

If all you would ever do again is hunt elk or smaller game in North America, the .270 is hard to beat. Less recoil and a flatter trajectory than the '06.

But for anyone that values versatility and having plentiful surplus rounds available, not to mention interest in bigger game from time to time, the '06 wins.

If you have a big Magnum rifle for bigger game, then I guess you could have your cake and eat it too by using the .270 up to mule deer and the Magnum for everything else. But of course, that's costs more money. The '06 can do both in one package. But we all have choices. :D

My decision had more to do with the rifle itself than caliber...but, I did want a common old school caliber that wasn't boutique expensive and could be found most anywhere. Another thing I like is I can go to the range and shoot 40 or so rounds without taking a beating.

As to trajectory, what is the difference between say .270, 30-06 and maybe 7mm Mag?

As to trajectory, what is the difference between say .270, 30-06 and maybe 7mm Mag?

Unfortunately, this app doesn't list 7mm Mag but here is:

Cartridge 1, 270Win; 130gr, 2, 30-06 180gr, 300win Mag 180gr
b84a2914-b3a5-9379.jpg

270 150gr looks like this:
b84a2914-a58a-c230.jpg

And versus 270WSM 150gr:
b84a2914-a607-6652.jpg

Last edited:
There's not all that much difference in the trajectories. And certainly not in the most common hunting distances of 300 yards or less.

Personally, I care a lot less about trajectory (in most cases) than I do recoil.

Especially since I use a laser range finder at any distance that matters.

Things I shoot aren't hard to kill and I'd much rather have a gun that's fun to shoot than use one that would kill elephants when I'm only shooting deer.

Most of the time, differences between cartridges are irrelevant. If the shooter is up to the task, they're up to the task, and if they're not, whatever difference there is between a 270 and 30-06, or 243 and 300 WinMag, isn't going to suddenly make up for the shooter's inadequacies.

Skill matters. Power almost never does.

Back