250- 3000 and other quarter bores

"No, it means it should be loaded with 35 grains of Smokeless A, the only smokeless powder available to Winchcester at the time of its introduction. 30-30 the same. 30-40 US Army (Krag) as well. Winchester used the confusing (to us) nomenclature by following BP cartridge naming conventions, which was pretty much the only thing people used at the time since virtually ALL cartridges at that time were BP cartridges. And 25 WCF was already taken."

I've never heard of Smokeless A, but that may have been a commercial designation for the powder that UMC used in Winchester ammunition.

As originally loaded, .30-40 Krag ammunition was loaded with a short-lived smokeless powder (Ruby) by the Leonard Smokless Powder Company. That powder was found to be unsuitable as well as unstable, and the Lafflin & Rand Company helped reorganize both the company and the powder, eventually developing the WA powder.

WA didn't become the standard military powder until 1896, which means it could not have been the original powder for the .30 and .25 WCF cartridges.

Additionally, pretty much until the turn of the century ALL WA powder was earmarked for use by the military in .30-40 and 6mm Lee Navy ammunition.

Peyton Powder was also an early contender, both commercially and for military use (apparently considerable quantities were loaded in .30-40 Krag), but their plant went boom and they never really recovered.

DuPont was also an early contender in the military rifle powder market and would, over time, become the primary powder supplier to the US military.

Back to the powder used in the .30 and .25 WCF rounds...

Winchester and UMC (which worked with Winchester to develop the two rounds) held back introducing the smokeless rounds until 1895 because suitable propellants weren't available. Most of the smokeless production in the US was going to the military, and other domestically produced smokeless propellants were turning out to be unsuitable.

I've never been able to confirm this, but I've come to suspect that the original smokeless powder .30 and .25 WFC rounds were loaded with...

European powder, either Nobel's Ballistite or Wetteren from Belgium. At the time, these two powders were probably the best in the world. Lafflin & Rand originally entered negotiations with Nobel to produce Ballistite, but didn't because of the royalty costs.

In 1899, however, Lafflin & Rand introduced one of the most important sporting powders of all time -- Lightning. Within a couple of years it pushed just about every other powder out of the commercial market for loading rounds like the .30-30, .25-35, .303 Savage, .33 Winchester and many others.

Production was stopped in the run up to World War II and never restarted.

To the original question...

I've always looked at the .250 Savage as one of the most underrated rounds of all time. It is a true gem. It is about as close to being the perfect all around Eastern cartridge there is. Light recoil, superior accuracy, flat trajectory... what's more to love?

I am humbled by the level of knowledge residing in the TFL membership. And this discussion is one reason I love the old guns.

Geezerbiker, go get that 338 Win Mag! You'll like it.

Any input, folks, on which laser beam 25 is best?

Best for what?
A .25-06 is no doubt a good hunting round but more than you need for target shooting.
There was a speaker at the NRA convention one year who had shot everything that walks, crawls, or flies with a .257 Weatherby, all with 87 gr bullet near 4000 fps, under the "velocity kills" theory.

In their heyday, there were people who said a .250 Savage was more accurate than a .257 Roberts, assuming you had one of the few .250 bolt actions. I doubt there would be any difference with current bullets and a closely chambered .257, though.

You could have a wildcat with common brass, the .25 Souper aka .25 - .308.

I'll continue to want something in .25-35 and while I really have no needs in something in my safe won't take care of, a .338 WM is at the top of my want list for a couple reasons I won't go into. A Win 70 would be ideal but it's all up to what I can find in my price range. I have a lot of old bike stuff to move and most of it's not that valuable...

I have to say that .25 round for the AR sounds interesting but it doesn't tickle my historical wants...

Tony

OK, I have my 250-3000. On order is a 257 Weatherby. I was going to content myself with loading 25-20 for my brother's '92s, but I ran into a Marlin 27S. So I'll have almost a full quarter bore collection. Apologies to 25-06 aficionados, but it's too close to Roy Weatherby's laser. Maybe later. Lots of work ongoing on other bores, but not much in 25 since the Weatherby in 1944. Well, I will give it a run.

I have an M94 in 25-35 that some dude tried to pawn off as a true Winchester short rifle. Took a half magazine rifle with 26" barrel and applied a hacksaw making the barrel 20". :mad: Showed him where he went wrong and got into the rifle fairly cheaply. The barrel is as shiny and a brand new dime. The barrel needs to be crowned but I haven't gotten around to doing that. I have two "BOBs", a Ruger #1 that is a tack driver with 100 gr. Norma ammo. I wonder when Norma dropped that stuff. One hundred and twenty rounds and the dies to reload the ammo came with the gun. Still have 106 of those rounds left. I shot a couple of five shot groups that were under a half inch. Never have tried to work up a load for that rifle. Another .257 "BOB is my Winchester M70 Featherweight. So far it hasn't shown me much regarding accuracy. Maybe when the range dries out later this year I'll see what I can do with it. I also have two Ruger #1Bs in 25-06. One is very accurate and the other so far is a dog. I've just been too busy working with a couple other cartridges to bother with the .25s.
Paul B.

I have a TC in 25-35 although it is a pistol.
It is a sweet shooting round and a grand old cartridge.
I would love to find a rifle barrel in 25-35.

quarterbores

Don't forget the
256-WM.jpg

.256 Winchester magnum a derivative of the 357 magnum brass necked to 25 caliber
originally designed for the Ruger Hawkeye has become one of my favorite plinkers in the contender
It's no deer cartridge but it's fun to shoot!
absolutely love the 250 Savage,tho
carbine-250-3000.jpg

That TC is Sweet!
I guess the 250 is within the pressure limits of a Contender then.
I have a Winchester 250 Silver Tip in my bullet collection, very cool.

Stagpanther, I will have to find some of those new Bergers. Have not located any yet. Right now I have Barnes 100 TTSX and Hornady Interbond 110 for the Weatherby. Hornady load workup is ready for the range.

Yesterday I picked up a Marlin 27S 25-20 and a Weatherby Mark V .257 Weatherby Magnum. Both nice. I will have to date the Weatherby, but it does have the 9 lug bolt. The scope it mounts is interesting: Swarovski 8x56 Habicht Nova. The "Nova" indicates a padded spring loaded eyepiece to protect those of poor shooting form. Pretty nice piece of glass in any case.

I have had two range sessions with the Savage Model 20. I had some Sierra Varminter 75s that didn't quite hit Sierra's 3,300, but they did go 3,234/7.6 over a max load of Re-15. The only 100s I could find were some cheap PRVI. Using Sierra's data, they did match max velocity at 2,920/2.9. I was shooting way high, and finally realized the aperture insert OD was too large to allow the sight to adjust all the way down. Corrected that and did better. Next time out I have some good 'ole Remington CoreLokt 100s that I backed off to what should be the original 2,800 fps load.

"Bob" seems to be running good with IMR-4955, and I have a 25-20 workup with (unfortunately discontinued) Speer 75 FP over IMR-4198. Much fun!

I've seen that "recoiling tattoo prevention ocular piece" on another scope, it was a European scope, I think it was a Zeiss or Leica. Bergers are in high demand, many of their bullets are hard to find.

I have yet to shoot either one, although I have a workup for the Weatherby of 110 Hornady Interbond over IMR-7828SSC waiting for a chance to get to the range. Just looking at the numbers, I doubt a hunter would feel disadvantaged with either in the field. The Weatherby is a little faster - enough to make a difference? Maybe. Cost of brass and powder efficiency favors the 25-06, so take your pick. Me, I wanted a Mark V and a gen-u-yne Roy Weatherby cartridge, so that's what I got.

I have yet to shoot either one, although I have a workup for the Weatherby of 110 Hornady Interbond over IMR-7828SSC waiting for a chance to get to the range. Just looking at the numbers, I doubt a hunter would feel disadvantaged with either in the field. The Weatherby is a little faster - enough to make a difference? Maybe. Cost of brass and powder efficiency favors the 25-06, so take your pick. Me, I wanted a Mark V and a gen-u-yne Roy Weatherby cartridge, so that's what I got.
Yeah, that was sorta my thought too.

Ballistics seem to favor the Weatherby, but cost and practicality seem to favor the 25-06.

Thus far i have 3 quarter bore hunting rifles.
First being a Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts. Using PPU 7X57 Mauser cases run through a full length 257 Roberts die, brass was cheap & plentiful before this last crunch.
I'm loading to +P standards. Coyotes HATE the 90gr Sierra BlitzKings.
And deer have been taken cleanly with 100 & 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, 115gr Berger VLD, and 120gr HPBT GameKings.

My second venture is my Stevens 200. Originally 7mm-08, i reamed the chamber to AI. I'm glad i don't own a borescope, as after 6,000+ rounds the throat was to the point i couldn't touch the lands with a 140gr bullet. I happened accross an "over run special" from E. R. Shaw. 24" Savage small shank, sporter, polished, blued in 250 Savage.
Because i picked it up from their shop, i paid $100 for it.
It has been a joy to shoot! I usually load everything from 75gr Sierra HP Varminter through 100gr Ballistic Tips.

Rifle #3 was kind of an accident...
I ended up buying another E.R. Shaw barrel. This time a 24" in 257 Roberts for $100. Having bought the barrel, i needed an action. I happened onto a new Savage 111 for $399.
Enter Pacific Tool & Gauge having a sale on reamers.
Rifle is now a 257 Roberts AI. Planned bullets with this rifle are 115gr Ballistic Tip & Berger VLD. Along with the 120gr Partition & Sierra HPBT GameKing.

After much go back & forth with other match shooters, i've decided to chamber my benchrest rifle in 250 Savage. Most of my shooting is 400 yards & less.
The Shilen barrel is still being anxiously awaited on. Then i can put together & send off for the stock to be made.

The "laser" in 257 would be the Lazzeroni 6.53 Scramjet.

The new Berger bullets out are too long to stabilize in the standard 1:10 twist barrels.
You need a fast twist 1:7.5 to shoot them along with the 131gr Blackjack Ace.

Talking about quarter bores, I have three Marlin 27S in 25-20. Why Three - don't ask other than they are fun to shoot. As for 257 Roberts and being based of 57 Mauser case. I have two 6.5X57 mm Mauser's, One is a rimmed case 6.5X57R for a European combination gun 12 ga. over the 6.5X57R and a T38 re-barreled and chambered in 6.5X57mm (semi-rimmed). I reload with the same dies only change the shell holders.

Last edited:
Back