25 yard accuracy?

As to shooting while moving.... I'm taking a defensive handgun class in two weeks. Shoot from cover, moving, from the ground, getting up while shooting, etc... Should be fun and educational.

Can the silhouette target and go to a standard NRA B8 target, you would just need the replacement centers. Start with the 5 shots in 20 seconds and as you improve the speed will come by itself.

It becomes each shot fired deliberately and separately. A take your time quickly thing.

I've been shooting for a little over a year, mainly at self-defense ranges 3,5,7 yards. So, a few weeks ago, I picked up a couple of new pistols and for whatever reason, I decided to shoot at 25 yards.

M&P9 m2.0 4.25" and Walther PPS M2, both with standard sights. I typically shoot 4 rounds on a silhouette target and then bring it in to look. Typically I can put three out of four in the center mass of the target at 25 yards, somewhere on the chest area to the abdomen area. The fourth is on the white outside of the silhouette. I'm pretty consistent in hitting 3 out of 4 and sometimes get all four.

From what I was told, local LE qualifying requires 75% on the target from this range. I believe they use an IDPA style cardboard cutout. So, based on that, I'm hitting at a qualifying rate.

Obviously, I'm not putting up a 7" group at 25yards. Other than the supposed qualifying rate for local LE, I don't know how to quantify hitting center mass 3 out of 4 times: good, average, or well below average?

Those definitions vary based on the second of the day, wind direction, and moon phase.
It would also depend on who your asking and how inflated their ego is that particular day.

Where do YOU think your skills are?
Do YOU want to improve them or maintain them?

Benchmarks are great for your own self-diagnostic and as a means to test yourself.
They naturally serve as a means to potentially improve yourself if that is what you want.

YOU need to decide what YOU want to accomplish.
Practical self defense drills with a focus on fast effective hits?
Methodical tight groups at longer ranges?
Or something in between?

All that really matters is what YOU want to accomplish and then getting yourself there.

As to shooting while moving.... I'm taking a defensive handgun class in two weeks. Shoot from cover, moving, from the ground, getting up while shooting, etc... Should be fun and educational.
Beware that such classes can be a disaster and complete waste of money.
Seems these days everyone is a 'combat master' and teaching run & gun courses.
Unfortunately many learned their trade by watching YouTube videos.

I've been training folks some four decades and I often marvel at the crap I see from others. I'm wavered at our local city range and teach private classes there often, usually only one or two students at a time. I see these clowns on adjacent ranges where they've got a dozen or more at $200+ per and it's utterly FUBAR.

I could go on for hours with what I've seen....little to no individual focus, poor technique, no real value, and often dangerous. On the other hand they most often come with a ton of ego, puffing, and blowing of smoke. Be very, VERY, VERY wary! Even many of the big name instructors/classes don't have a lot of value in them, it's simply a business and means to make money for them.

There are some good ones, but they are few and far between.
I'm being kind when I say maybe one out of a hundred are worth the time & money.
Just some free advice to be careful, take it or leave it.

Beware that such classes can be a disaster and complete waste of money.
Seems these days everyone is a 'combat master' and teaching run & gun courses.
Unfortunately many learned their trade by watching YouTube videos.

I've been training folks some four decades and I often marvel at the crap I see from others. I'm wavered at our local city range and teach private classes there often, usually only one or two students at a time. I see these clowns on adjacent ranges where they've got a dozen or more at $200+ per and it's utterly FUBAR.

I could go on for hours with what I've seen....little to no individual focus, poor technique, no real value, and often dangerous. On the other hand they most often come with a ton of ego, puffing, and blowing of smoke. Be very, VERY, VERY wary! Even many of the big name instructors/classes don't have a lot of value in them, it's simply a business and means to make money for them.

There are some good ones, but they are few and far between.
I'm being kind when I say maybe one out of a hundred are worth the time & money.
Just some free advice to be careful, take it or leave it.
Or they cannot be a disaster and complete waste of money. If there are qualified instructors such as yourself out there, my guess is you're not the only one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Or they cannot be a disaster and complete waste of money. If there are qualified instructors such as yourself out there, my guess is you're not the only one.

I never said I was the only one.
In fact I clearly stated good ones are out there.

BTW
What exactly does 'qualified' mean?
Ive witnessed many a 'qualified' instructor teach bad habits, fail to correct issues, act quite unsafe, etc.
Which falls back to my point of being very wary.

My personal suggestion is that before anyone pays for a class, ask to watch them instruct another class for maybe half an hour. Sitting back and watching them on the line will usually tell you all you need to know within the first 10-15 minutes.

Something else to watch for is class size, large classes are a red flag to being nothing but revenue generation over quality, even if they tout "1 instructor for every x students" or some such (aka 1 'instructor' and a couple of his yuckle-head buddies to make the ratio). My personal opinion is that there are maybe a half-dozen quality instructors that can handle larger class sizes and still provide good value to the student.

Look at it this way....
Plop down say $200 for an 8 hour class
Show up and there are eight students total
That means in a perfect world you might get an hour of one on one
Add in breaks, lunch, chalk-talk, etc, and you're paying $200 for maybe 30 minutes of actual one on one time.
And often the instructor is still garbage.

Buyer beware is all Im saying.

I have several 9mm pistols with red dot sights. I can usually put 15 (of 15) rounds in a six inch target at 25 yards shooting off hand. I usually put 13 to 14 in the six inch target with my SIG p210 Target (US model) and my CZ75 Tactical Sport using iron sights. My results are not always that good. But, on my good days, I'm 80 plus, that's what I expect. I started shooting when I was less than 10, stayed away for years, came back five years ago. Practice regularly, at least once a week. Practice, practice, practice. Serious practice, not just plinking around.

Hi nanney1,

Sounds like you are of to a pretty good start, especially for just being a year into the sport. If you are getting on target 4/5 at 25 yards, I suggest you bring the target closer and work your way out. I would skip 3 yards at this point and probably 5 yards as well. I think 7 yards is a good place to start and then move back to 10 and 15 yards. Once you can group fairly consistently, then move on to longer distances. I would also buy a cheap pair of binoculars so you don't have to move the target every few shots.

I started typing how I teach friends who have never shot, but found a website that is probably more concise and better written. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ultimate-guide-shoot-pistol-accurately/ . For me, accuracy comes down to proper stance, proper grip, good sight alignment, controlled breathing, good trigger control.

As you get more practice and get more consistent, equipment improvements will help tighten up groups further. I believe that 3 dot sights, preferably fiber optic, are the most precise sights you can use. The next upgrade would be improving the trigger so that it is lighter and smoother. You may not want to do this on your carry gun as some tend to believe an aggressive DA may try and turn a justified shoot into a "bad shoot". A smoother and lighter trigger pull with a nice clean break allows you to isolate the movement to just the trigger, rather than moving the entire gun.

Good luck and hope this helps!

I shot this group of 10 today. 2 hand hold, unsupported, slow fire at 25 yards. This was done with a sub $300 Sar K2P with a 3.8" barrel and Walmart Federal 115gr fmj. I was pretty happy with it. I don't worry about shooting fast. I figure if I focus on the basics and take my time, I'll get better with the speed eventually.

Attachments

• rps20190309_165818_664.jpg
    rps20190309_165818_664.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 34
That's too honest of a group. Next time say 50 yd so we know it's internet worthy.

just wait till you start moving around when you are shooting.

Keep up the good work and don't worry so much about measuring your groups. Just hit the target within an 8" square and be glad. Over time it will get better all by itself. Honestly, my groups have always been a mess and it doesn't bother me one bit. The contest is not likely ever going to be "who has the tightest groups". The bottom line that in a SD event, a hit on target is a hit on target.
Accuracy doesn't get better by itself. If all you ever try to do is hit anywhere in an 8" area then that's as good as you're going to get. That's fine until "good enough" isn't good enough.

Last edited:
For “any” pistol to be able to shoot 1-1/2” groups at 25’ in less than ideal ambient conditions, you’d better be carrying a Ransom Rest in your range bag!
Nah. Just have to be a very good shot. One of my best friends could do it from a rest, no problem.

I have never shot any pistol or revolver that can do that even from a bench rest.
The friend noted above once did it with my P239 SAS, which would be like doing it with a DA revolver, from a rest at 25 yards.

I scored high enough to medal in handgun metal silhouette with a 4" bbl. service revolver, open sights, back in the day. (The scorers couldn't believe their eyes. "You did that with what?!?!") A couple times, if memory serves.

You damn betcha my Sig P210 Target could do that day in, day out, with a capable shooter. (I don't know as I'm that shooter, any more. Eyes aren't what they once were.)

From the groups I shot with it its first day out, I suspect my Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced could do it, too.

I'm not much of a paper puncher but I can hit Coke cans at 25 yards more often than not. One hand no prop.
I might still be able to do that, with a little practice. Problem is: Nowhere halfway near, here abouts, to do that any more :(

I used to have a .38 special I could bust gallon milk jugs with at 100 yards so don't say a pistol isn't capable.
Used to be I could do that with my revolver. I would not be willing to bet I still could.

Targets...capability of the gun

The attached picture is a five shot group. It was shot by a friend of mine with an iron sighted 1911 at 25 yards. One hand unsupported. I saw it done. I shot a much larger group on the point next to him. Good group but in the wrong spot.

Attachments

• CAECD204-9AD8-48A0-ADC3-E449C4E00E3A.jpeg
    CAECD204-9AD8-48A0-ADC3-E449C4E00E3A.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
TJ, the electrical tape is covering the serial #. Easier than editing the photo afterward. The K2P has a serial # on the left side of the frame and on the barrel locking block on the right side at the ejection port.

darkgael, you might want to have him check his rear right. I was hitting all left and I never do that. Ever.

When I got home and cleaned my gun I saw that the rear sight was off. Tight groupings, otherwise.

GarandTd, ah..Makes sense. It was reminding me of some of the SF dudes and their bicycle inner-tube that they'd put around their Glocks. I thought it was some high speed trick I didn't know about yet.

That's like when I'd put a piece of cardboard to cover up my license plate for car photos.

My 25yd hits with the Kriss Vector are one ragged hole. But shoulder fired weapons are known for that. ;)

Back