.243, .308 or 25.06?? Which to get...

Who cares about ??? caliber? The OP specified a brand and in new rifles the Howa's are offered in 204 · 22-250 · 223 · 243 · 6.5x55SW · 25-06 · 270 · 300 · 30-06 · 308 · 338 · 375 · 7mm.....google it! 7mm-08 is not offered nor is 260 Rem....

PS, in youth the choices are 204 · 22-250 · 223 · 243 · 308 · 7mm
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/672/products_id/16197

http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_365636

The above look like Howa rifles that would be suitable for a smaller shooter... in 7mm-08.

Also, the three cartridges given as options here are VERY different from one another with a lot of relevant cartridges in between. Mentioning some of those in-between options is a little different than when someone asks ".308 or 30-06" and people start suggesting .338 magnums or .243's.

Last edited:
The OP specified a brand and in new rifles the Howa's are offered in 204 · 22-250 · 223 · 243 · 6.5x55SW · 25-06 · 270 · 300 · 30-06 · 308 · 338 · 375 · 7mm.....google it! 7mm-08 is not offered nor is 260 Rem.

I did .... Here Ya Go!

Is "new" production a requirement?

..... I've been buying guns a long while now ....never ever worried what was currently being offered this year .....

Ain't the Information Age GREAT!?!?!?

Last edited:
Who cares about ??? caliber?

Honestly, if you can handload, just about any used medium bored centerfire can be made to do just about anything you want it to, within reason, if you are at all handy ..... so long as you don't start too small or too large ..... common parent cases and common bore diameters are a plus, if only from an economic standpoint .....

.... add in the better bullet technologies of today, and .....well, who really does care about which particular cartridge? ...... if you handload.

The reason he got so many people suggesting different calibers and different rifles is that most people on the forum know that if a member is going to ask those kinds of questions there is a very strong probability that he is relatively new to the sport and doesn't have the extensive knowledge needed to make the decision himself - therefore he is asking those who do. Members are trying to be helpful and broaden his horizons to ideas beyond those he already has.

.243 is the only way to go. There is another forum I frequent, where a guy post pictures of all his .243 85gr deer.

I personally use 100gr in my .243, and deer just fall over. They are dead before they hit the ground. Cheapest federal blue ammo is all you need.

Remington now has .243 ammo, with pictures of Elk on the box. I am tempted to try it next season.

My little Sako carbine in .243 only weighs seven pounds, fully dressed. Not much recoil, particularly if compared to an '06 or .308. I've had mostly one-shot kills on a couple of dozen bucks, and never any need to track.

As far as handloading gear, good-used stuff is as good as new, generally. Some of my reloading dies were not new when I was given some in 1950. Craig's List is a good place to look. And gunshows. I tend to favor RCBS stuff, myself.

Have a Wby Vangard in 308, supposed to be same thing as a Howa 1500. Bought it because it came with 2 stocks, a youth and full size. Think it is an excellent choice for quality and affordable. Also very accurate.

Controlling recoil for younger shooters may also involve a properly fitting rifle for their stature. Too long, or too short of a stock can make it more difficult to properly hold the rifle, and accentuate recoil. A good recoil pad is also important. There is no way around the fact that very light rifles kick more, it is a trade off.

Maybe they still sell the rifles with stock combinations, or if not they may have the different stocks available.

Am a strong proponent of hand loading, but do lot more shooting than hunting. However if you are only hunting with a commonly available caliber and find a load that suits, hand loading may actually more expensive.

Maybe more enjoyable for some, but can be more expensive and time consuming.

I had purchased a .243 Weatherby Vangard for my daughter several years ago.
Had promise of 1.5", 3 shot group at 100 yards.
And it did that.
For the first 3 shots.
Shots 4-6 would open up to about 4" or so.
Shots 7-10 would open up to about 10".
Etc.... :eek:

Free floated barrel, bedded action, stiffened forestock.

Got first 3 shots down to 0.75" at 100 yards.
Next 3 were about 3".
Next 3 about 9".

And yes, I did let the barrel cool between groups, I also tried just shooting the groups to heat the barrel.

Last year daughter traded it for a bow. Was not sorry to see that gun go!!!

Have shot 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06...
I'm still shooting the 7mm-08. Along with my daughter, and g/f. (when my g/f lets me have it back).

Std7mag, bet that was copper, my Vanguard coppered terrible til I got after it with JB bore paste, then it shot wonderfully until I sold it....It was a 7mm rem mag. Too bad she traded it, she will have to try another rifle of some brand and get back behind a trigger....;)

Hooligan, I was thinking the same thing. If he is starting out with a a clean bore and it is fouling that quickly then it is so rough that it is accumulating copper fouling. I would have hit it hard with bore paste/flitz/etc to smooth it out before giving up on it.

Am a strong proponent of hand loading, but do lot more shooting than hunting. However if you are only hunting with a commonly available caliber and find a load that suits, hand loading may actually more expensive.

Particulary for new shooters, the cost of sufficient practice ammo to become a competent shot from field positions would pay for a basic reloading kit and components to make the practice ammo. I did the math on this several times on this forum over the last few years.... even in common calibers like .270WIN, you can have your money back in 300-500 rounds, and still have the equipment plus everything you learned along the way. I had my kids shoot a couple hundred rounds of reduced loads over the summer and then 50 rounds of the stuff they were going to launch at Bambi (in some cases, that was the same load) in November.

If the one-box a year hunters would actually go out and shoot their rifles more than once a year, there'd be fewer unrecovered animals ....

..... but it's much easier to make excuses than to make the effort.... just not nearly as rewarding ..... ;)

Just as a comment. I own a 7/08, a 308 and a 25/06. Of the three, I like shooting the 25/06's the most and own multiple guns in the caliber. Had I started with 25/06's first I would not have bought the others.

Controlling recoil for younger shooters may also involve a properly fitting rifle for their stature. Too long, or too short of a stock can make it more difficult to properly hold the rifle, and accentuate recoil. A good recoil pad is also important. There is no way around the fact that very light rifles kick more, it is a trade off.

Maybe they still sell the rifles with stock combinations, or if not they may have the different stocks available.

Having had a daughter myself start out hunting at 6yrs old and then a nephew along behind her, then my oldest grandson wanting to shoot himself a pig at the ripe old age of 3, yep I can say I have had some time spent with the kiddo's and the issues which plague them.

What Zeke posted above there are a couple of VERY valid points. Trying to have a youngster or hell even an adult learn to shoot a rifle well with a stock that doesn't fit them is a REAL pain, literally sometimes. That was my biggest hill to overcome. All of these kids were and are still pretty light framed. Most everything I own has around a 13.5" LOP which is LONG for a kid. What I found for my daughter was an old Remington 760 in .243 which fit her far better than anything else we had or could afford at the time. The nephew also used it but he was a bunch bigger than my daughter in his early teens when he started but graduated to a .25-06 after getting the hang of things.

The grandson, well I tried everything I could to work around him getting behind the trigger, but he is a red toe headed kid and once he has his mind made up your not changing it. So I downloaded some rounds for my .308 with 125gr bullets and using my Ruger Compact, which was all he could manage, he practiced all spring and summer long. As we went along I would bump up the charge weight just a little, bout a half grain or so of H4895. When fall came and two weeks before his 4th birthday he DID in fact put his first hog on the ground and in the freezer. He hasn't let up since. He just turned 13 Thanksgiving day and put a 300+yd shot on a 10pt buck using my 25-06 AI.

All this said, like Zeke mentioned if your working your daughter into this, find something that fits her, forget the caliber be it a .243, 7-08, 30-30 even, fit or the ability to do so is what will matter. If she cannot get in behind it properly from the get go, even the best of reduced loads aren't going to make her feel any better about shooting it. Not to mention being able to get a full sight picture in the scope, or proper placement of the butt pad on her shoulder. With a good fitting stock even shooting a full blown .308 isn't bad as most make it out to be. Mine only weighs 6.5# sit sling, scope, and 5 rounds in it. The daughter, my grandson, and several friends all felt like it was far easier and more comfortable to shoot then they initially thought it would be. My grandson even was calling it "our" rifle for a while.

I put him together a nice Sako in .243 which he really likes and uses once in a while, but he is VERY partial to my .270 which I am putting a new stock on and will probably pass on over to him this spring.

For shooting I always started them out slow with only a couple of rounds in the centerfire followed by some through the .22. After a few weekends of this we moved on into nothing but the centerfire but still only increasing the number of shots from around 3 per session to 5 or 10 per day on the weekends. After a month or more of this we were up to shooting a full box each day of what ever we were going to use while hunting, and were shooting targets set up at range angles and ranges. I used the full sized archery deer targets and some 1/4" plywood to back them up with and some 3/8" rebar on each end to ty-wrap them to. This made it about as realistic as I could without actually putting them on critters.

The point of it all was to get them accustomed to getting the rifle up and in the ready position, not knowing which target I was going to call made it a challenge. Once I called out the number, they had to adjust, acquire, aim and fire on it all on their own. I made it clear from the start with them all, if they couldn't do it, they weren't going period. This said I DID help each of them get the rifle up and ready when the time came but up until that moment, they didn't know I would, but they had the confidence to do it themselves and not be second guessing what they needed to do next. Each drill they had to get on target, aim, fire, chamber another round, and put the rifle back on safety. Each step wsa practiced many times with an empty magazine as well as with live fire so they were fully accustomed to it.

All of them did excellent their first times out and have every since. So while your considering picking a caliber, and starting to handload, like Jimbob mentions you can quickly pay for your equipment while shooting practice rounds and learning the nuances of your new rifle and scope. Speaking of scopes, be sure to look at the Weaver and Bushnell extended eye relief models for that kiddo. It will help out a LOT not having to creep up on the scope some if the stock is still a touch long. Plus they keep the scope out in front so it doesn't get upside their head too.

look at the Weaver and Bushnell extended eye relief models for that kiddo. It will help out a LOT not having to creep up on the scope some if the stock is still a touch long. Plus they keep the scope out in front so it doesn't get upside their head too

+1: There is nothing more flinch and fear inducing that a bad case of scope-eye!

I put scout scopes on the kids' guns ... scope-eye is impossible.

Back