.243, .308 or 25.06?? Which to get...

LSUfan, one of the reason's I don't advocate a .243 for kids is that the very light bullet it uses can be more "problematic" than the heavier bullet in it's bigger brother 7mm-08. With that light .243 bullet, you have to be careful to pick a bullet type that holds together and it is also less forgiving if shot placement isn't right on. Whereas, it would be hard to find a factory load for 7mm-08 that didn't have a suitable deer hunting bullet.

For whitetails only there is no reason to complicate things, get the 243. Nothing wrong with the other options, but with the ease of finding factory loaded 243 ammo it just makes the most sense. The other options are fine choices for rifle looneys like me who just like to be different.

Those are very heavy rifles, and in 243 recoil will be virtually absent. The better 243 bullets available today make it more than adequate for deer, and acceptable for game up to elk. It's not just a kids gun.

If you were hunting larger game on a regular basis the bigger calibers start making sense.

Welcome to TFL LSUfan, I will have to chime in here as I own both the 243 and the 7-08. With the right bullet and shot placement the 243 is enough for deer but, this last season I took both rifles to SC deer hunting, never got a shot when I was carrying the 7-08 but I did take a spike buck with the 243, the deer came out of the woods about 75 yds away walking directly towards me in a elevated stand. He was moving and not about to stop so I took a full on chest shot and was a bit surprised when he didnt DRT with the 85 gr hollowpoint handload I hit him with, he jumped about 4 feet in the air spun about 90 degrees and headed, not far mind you but out of sight. No blood as the bullet never exited. He went about 50 yds and dropped. I feel if I would have taken him with the 7-08 he would have dropped, so all I am saying, I didnt pick the best shot but took what I was offered, a bigger bullet would probably have exited as the 243 almost did, stopped just inside the ribcage. If it were me and I had to decide between the 308 and 243 for a smaller framed person, 243 hands down.

Having a good variety of factory ammo available most places is a good point and the .243 is pretty good in that department.

Bob

Between the 7mm-08 and the .243 win I give the nod to the 7mm. I have both, my kids shot a deer with both this year. They will both give you the result you want. I just think the 7mm-08 is a more versatile choice. With the reduced recoil loads offered using a 120 gr bullet the perceived recoil IS less than the .243 100 gr factory load in my and my kids opinion. As the shooter grows you can move up in bullet weight. This year we took 5 deer with the -08 all shots exited on 100-140 lb animals, one shot was through both shoulders. We took one deer with the 243 100 gr Sierra pro-hunter, no exit. Deer ran about 50 yards through a thicket, no blood.

"Almost as low recoiling as a .243 "
referring to the 7mm08: It is not physically possible to launch a 140 grain .284 bullet at the same speed as a 100 grain .243 bullet w/o incurring significantly more recoil(theoretically 40% more).
Of the choices in the OP, it all depends on what the most frequent target will be. Mostly smaller varmints and deer= 243. Deer(including big mulies)at any range plus some coyotes and a few smaller varmints= 25/06. The .308 is very nearly the equal of the 06 in most uses(and recoil).
I own and shoot all 3 plus the 7mm08 so I DO actually know a thing or two about them. I quit using the 243 years ago but there's nothing really wrong with it (within it's capabilities). 25/06 is a "go to" caliber for most anything under 300# but hard on meat and fur. The .308 doesn't need my endorsement but can be a little hard on the shoulder of smaller and/or inexperienced shooters. The 7mm08 does many things well and it a great deer cartridge but does have more recoil than the 243.

I haven't looked to se what the Howa is available in but whether .243, .260, 7-08, or .308, managed or reduced recoil loads can be had if needed. Feed it good quality hunting bullets, and place them correctly and no deer will notice the difference. Pick what you want, since you don't reload YET, that might make a difference, but ammo can be found for any of them.

I have owned Weatherby Vanguards in both .243 and 26/06 calibers. (Howa makes the Vanguard for Weatherby) I chose to keep the .243 and sold the 26/06. Federal powershok ammo in 100 gr works for whitetail but if you can find factory loads in 85 to 95 gr that shoot good they will work as well. I mention the Federal powershok just because I have used it. I handload 95 gr Nosler ballistic tip and they work just as well.

The only negative about the Howa/Vanguard is the weight. They are a little heavier than some people like.
Dallas Jack

I've yet to try one myself, but the .260 remington really appeals to me. Like the .243 and 7mm-08, it's based on the .308 case.

A 120-grain bullet from a .260 Remington has almost identical sectional density as a 100-grain bullets in a .243 or a 140-grain bullets from a 7mm-08. Sort of splits the difference in recoil, but gives a little more oomph than the .243.

Unfortunately, factory ammo isn't a plentiful or cheap.

Of the three calibers the OP listed I say 243 w/ premium or heavy for caliber bullets. Lighter 243 are not meant for deer. However, the Howa Hunter, Sporter and Houge which all offerer in 25-06 also are available in 6.5x55 which is a great balance on recoil and power for deer. Ammo selection is generally more readily available for 6.5 vs. 25-06 and choices are generally more appropriate for deer than 243.

Just a thought based on specified brand of rifle.

Im partial but, how about a 358 Winchester. You get almost 300 WSM power with LESS recoil. You could take down a bear! The 358 sounds perfect for your needs.

Almost as low recoiling as a .243 "
referring to the 7mm08: It is not physically possible to launch a 140 grain .284 bullet at the same speed as a 100 grain .243 bullet w/o incurring significantly more recoil(theoretically 40% more)

No one said you have to use a 140 gr bullet in the 7-08, and no one said it had to be "the same speed"

There are "reduced recoil" loads available using 120 gr bullets with recoil comparable to a 243, as well as 140 gr bullets at reduced velocities

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-120-gr-SST-customlite/

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/11...-grain-core-lokt-pointed-soft-point-box-of-20

Of the three you gave, I'd say 243.
I think that both 260 rem and 7-08 sit in a sweet spot not far above that, though.

GO TIGERS!

MY choice would be 7mm-08, if available, and .308 if not. Lighter bullets in both WILL recoil more than a .243, ON PAPER, but how much of the heavier recoil is perceived by the shooter is a function of the individual shooter, the clothing thickness over the shooting shoulder, presence/absence of recoil pad, etc. Daughters have a way of growing up (sadly), and her capacity to deal with recoil will grow also (Happily).

I encourage you to explore a modest investment in reloading equipment. For the price of one of the "starter" bolt action rifles made here, you can get EVERYthing you need, to fix this problem at the reloading bench. You'll also enjoy greater flexibility in finding (making) ammunition which works well for particular rifles.

You might ALSO look into the installation of a B.O.S.S. muzzle brake. Everyone I've talked to who has used one swears by them. BUT they also quickly add that they make the rifle VERY loud for the shooter, so have ear protectors handy.

GO TIGERS!

Last edited:
"Almost as low recoiling as a .243 "
referring to the 7mm08: It is not physically possible to launch a 140 grain .284 bullet at the same speed as a 100 grain .243 bullet w/o incurring significantly more recoil(theoretically 40% more).

But thay are not going the same speed: the 7-08 is running 100-300 f/sec slower, depending upon which factory is loading it.

Add to that the fact that those published velocities are developed in 24" test barrels ..... which "youth" sized rifles don't have (with the exception of varmit rifles, very few non-magnum hunting rifles do anymore) .... the .243 relies heavily on high velocity for it's killing power .... short barrels found in youth guns cut into that some ..... and make for more muzzle blast in the process ..... the 7-08 also loses some velocity, true, but IME, heavier bullets lose less in shorter barrels than light ones (all else being equal), and rely less on velocity for lethality.

My solution to this problem was to get a 7-08 in as short and heavy a gun as possible, and down load it. Why 7-08? It has the greatest variety of bullets, and when downloaded to 30/30 velocities, is still a lethal deer round, yet with very little recoil ..... yet when the kids get bigger, I can move righ back up in power ...... I already know I can easily drive a 140gr bullet to 2650 ..... There are pretty efficient 160's available that should stabilize in my rifle .....

The only thing that would make my kids' gun better would be a can on the end of it .... but that's not financially feasible at the moment .....

Even if the OP does not handload, there are reduced recoil factory loadings for the 7-08 .... true, the same is true of the .243. The thing is, the -08 can be downloaded for less recoil now...... but later on in life the .243 will always be a .243.

Last edited:
Who cares about ??? caliber? The OP specified a brand and in new rifles the Howa's are offered in 204 · 22-250 · 223 · 243 · 6.5x55SW · 25-06 · 270 · 300 · 30-06 · 308 · 338 · 375 · 7mm.....google it! 7mm-08 is not offered nor is 260 Rem. The question was 243 v. 25-06 v. 308. If we are to offer an alternative please pick from the list. Based on the OP's criteria I offered mine based on the list. Add the Weatherby name is to add several hundred dollars to the gun. Might as well specify another make / model / caliber to the discussion.

Just my $.02

PS, in youth the choices are 204 · 22-250 · 223 · 243 · 308 · 7mm

I will avoid my ordinary but extraordinary verbosity, and cast yet another vote for the .243 .

Oh, come now! Of what use is verbosity, ordinary, extraordinary, or somehow .....both(?) ...... if not shared?

Anonymous voting without rational, yet passionate, discussion....... where does that end up?

Back