.243, .308 or 25.06?? Which to get...

LSUfan

Inactive
First post here. I am looking to purchase a Howa rifle soon for personal use (adult male) but one that can also be used by my daughter when she is old enough to hunt with me. We are whitetail hunting only with the rifle, so small to medium game is accurate (100-200 lbs). Growing up, all I have ever shot was a 30.06 and 300 win mag, so I would rather not have to make my daughter shoot those and their kick. I just assumed I would get a .243 for her/us, but after looking around at some different models that Howa has, the .308 and 25.06 caught my eye. If anyone is familiar with the differences between the three and can provide insight, that would be great! I understand that barrel weight and also the particular grain bullet will make a difference as well (as far as kick), so any particulars other than these. Also, I'm choosing to go with a Howa simply because I have a Howa 1500 300 and LOVE it. The trigger is fantastic, the gun is durable, and the action is smooth as can be. *It did take me some time, however, to find the right ammo for it! Once you find that, its spot on! Anyways, any help on this topic would be much appreciated!!

My vote is none of those. 7mm-08. Almost as low recoiling as a .243 (even less with the new low-recoil ammo) so it is great for a kid. Much heavier bullets than a .243 too. Less recoil than a 25-06 and MUCH less muzzle blast. Not quite as flat shooting as a 25-06 but at ranges less than about 300 yds you'll never notice.

Hi Bob. The distance wouldn't be anything crazy. While I'm using it, probably max of 200 yrds. For her, comfortably probably no more than 100 yrds.... unless theres a monster ;)

How big is the kid in question, and what ranges will she be shooting?

Do you handload, or are you restricted to factory ammo?

The 25-06 is a necked down 30-06 ... like the .270, only much moreso: all the powder capacity of the -06, just with way lighter bullets. Wayyyyyy overbore ....

To my mind, it's a top fuel funny car in a delivery truck job (hunting whitetail).

The .308WIN would work, but it's probably more than a kid needs.

My first deer rifle was a .243WIN. Same case as the .308, necked down to use lighter bullets, typically 100 grains, 2/3 the weight of the .308's typical loadings .....

If you handload, you can tailor just about any cartridge to suit your need:

My dedicated "kids'" rifle is a Ruger Frontier in 7-08 .... same case as the .308 again, just not necked down so much ..... and I it download a bit for the kids- 140 grain bullets @ about 2400 f/sec ..... less muzzle blast and recoil than the factory ammo, yet still hits with more energy than a 30/30 at 100 yards. The gun itself is very compact, yet has a heavy stock and fairly thick barrel contour, which helps further in the recoil management department.

I also loaded quite a lot of "reduced recoil" practice rounds for my nephew and eldest daughter..... many hundreds of 100 and 110 grain loads for 30/30 .....

If you don't handload, and I were in your shoes, I'd go with the .243WIN .

Thanks for the input, Jimbo. And no, I dont hand load myself. I had read that you can customize somewhat to reduce the recoil. I'm leaning towards the 243 I think.... And lol, your right. If its out of her range, then its in daddy's!

I dont hand load myself.

It's not too late to start. This IS the information age, after all: plenty of resources out there.

It's not that difficult, and you will learn quite a lot in the process.

Thats true... I was in Bass Pro the other day, actually, looking at some of the material. Fairly inexpensive? Long term I know it would be, saving on ammo $. Plus would give me something to do other than turkey hunt during the "off" season!

Don't rule out the .257 Roberts if you can find a good used one at the price you want to pay. Less Over-Bore, more barrel life, good 100-200 yard deer cartridge.

Bob

Last edited:
Plus would give me something to do other than turkey hunt during the "off" season!

Jan/Feb is Reloading Season..... when it is too cold to do much of anything outside, I hide in the basement and load up for Spring Plinking ....

I am with Jim Bob, I reload all winter, but then again in the other seasons too as I like to reload and I enjoy the accuracy. Have one bench for 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 shotgun, one for pistol and one for rifle.

Bob

Dang.... Very nice! Yea... you've got me curious now. I'm researching as we speak. Might just be my next hobby!:cool:

Really, there are two times of the year to reload: Jan/Feb, when it's too cold to be outside, and late July-early August, when it's too hot and sticky to be out during the mid-day hours.

Back