22 silencer input needed

If I hadn't known a local guy that builds cans, I would have gone with an SWR Spectre or Warlock. After talking with many Gemtech owners, I'll never give them my money. Everything AAC makes is top notch, same with SWR.

I'll start out by saying that by most accounts the Outback-II is a good can - not as good as the Warlock or Spectre, but good.

I have yet to find anyone that recommends a Trinity over a Trident. I am aware that the Trinity is discontinued, but when I started looking for a multiple mount can those were the options.

There is compelling evidence that they steal designs from other people, while accusing others of the same. The baffle stack in the T2 for example is curiously similar to the stack designed by user green0 over on the silencertalk forums. The inertia device for their new Multimount was quite obviously a direct ripoff of the booster from the AAC Evo. The parts of the booster are even interchangeable. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22033

There's the issue of them trying to get ATF to not allow manufacturers to fix cans that they did not make. AAC has on several occasions rebuilt crappy Gemtech cans into something better, and that is bad for Gemtech's business. The effect of their bitchiness could have been that owners would have to pay another transfer tax to have a can rebuilt - thankfully, that has not happened.

The Gemtech G5 failed the military torture test that 6 of AAC's cans passed. The G5 failed miserably, partially due to key components being held together with roll pins instead of being welded. The thing literally fell apart.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10473

They claim that it passed the test on a different occasion and many were sent out to the military. If that's true, then either their build quality is inconsistent or they intentionally sell inferior products to non military customers.

Yes, I'm aware that silencertalk.com is owned by an AAC employee. Even so, there's just too much evidence of shadiness for me. And when dozens of board members, several shooting buddies, and two dealers tell me I'd be better off with a can from a different company - well, that's enough for me.

The baffle stack in the T2 for example is curiously similar to the stack designed by user green0 over on the silencertalk forums.

And they are both curiously similar to the AAC Prodigy, the YHM Mite and others. Just because they all are utilizing monolithic baffles doesn't mean that one "stole" the idea from another. When suppressor technology moved beyond wipes and media to "K" baffles, all manufactures followed the technology. Now it's moving from "K" baffles to monolithic designs. It's simply new technology, not a proprietary design. Each maker tweaks the design a little to offer something unique.

As for the issue of Gemtech bringing the rebuilding of cans to BATFE's attention, I can't say that I totally disagree with that decision. Some of what AAC was doing was blatantly manufacturing a new can and slapping an existing serial # on it. That's no different than Colt or Oly. doing the same thing with RR M16 lowers. The BATFE put a stop to that, too.

If you don't like Gemtech or whoever, for whatever reason, that's fine with me, but it has been my experience that Gemtech makes a very high quality product and has top-of-the-line customer service. I speak from experience as I own several of their products. I personally don't drink the AAC kool-aid because I question a lot about their business practices. Specifically their oughtright and public "bashing" of almost every other suppressor company out there. I do own AAC cans, and both of them were bought or traded for pre-loved. The one time I tried to buy a new AAC can I had quite possibly the worst customer-service related experience on the planet.

And they are both curiously similar to the AAC Prodigy, the YHM Mite and others.

Negative. The Mite and the Prodigy do look similar to each other - but neither looks like green0/Gemtech's baffles.

If you're happy with your Gemtech products, I'm happy for you. As I said before, I just don't feel the need to give them my money. Thank goodness we have choices, huh? :)

Well quiet is quiet and based on my ears alone, Zak Smiths 308 can in the quietest I have ever not heard....had the chance to shoot the 308 with it last Sunday and folks were simply amazed...sonic crack and that is it...

Plus you get to deal with a guy who posts here, and will answer all your questions.

Wildwaitingforhis338canandoneforsemiautosAlaska TM

yeah, I am gonna also go take a look at the cans Zak offers before I head on back to AZ. I am probably gonna pick up either a can from him or my local dealer has a Quest II in stock right now.

I will make sure to post a review of the cans Zak has to offer, plus I am probably gonna be in the market for a .30 cal can in the near future so I will be looking at what Zak has to offer in that as well. Now, only if he offered a .338 cal can for my 2 lapua's:D .

JOE

aacprodigysmall.jpg

checkmatesmall.jpg

Not similar, huh?

I don't want to get into this pissing content, but VUPDblue, those only "look" the same in that they have a monolithic core that goes in an outer tube. Check out the baffle shape, porting, and gas blow arrangement, they're totally different. A monolithic core is a advantageous for manufacturing efficiency on CNC machines, whereas distinct baffles require more labor. Some would argue that taking a solid piece of bar stock and making your baffle stack out of it in one "go" is an obvious step to anyone "skilled in the art" with a modern CNC machine.

If anyone wants a crash course in suppressor design, read Alan Paulson's book on silencer patents. Or sign up for a free account on http://www.freepatentsonline.com/ and read them for free there, including newer patents. These are instructive because the claims reveal exactly what features and/or combination of features is claimed to be protected.

Anyone in manufacturing today has to be concerned with "patent avoidance", in other words, making sure their design does not infringe on the claims of a valid, defensible patent. (I have several patents from my "day job.")

-z

I don't want to get into this pissing content, but VUPDblue, those only "look" the same in that they have a monolithic core that goes in an outer tube.

That's my point exactly. What I have been trying to get across is that just because 2 or 10 companies utilize a similar design principal, it doesn't mean that any company is stealing a proprietary design from another.

I really wasn't trying to start a Gemtech bashing session. I stated my opinion of the company, and when asked to back up my opinion I did so. Like I said before, if you like Gemtech that's great. I simply believe that for the price there are better options.

get an AAC Pilot... it's the quietest, lightest, and smallest.... the only one cooler was that one that was the pilot, but longer. I forget the name. I'm really happy with my Pilot.

Zak

You have to admit, it's a nice can. Just not the best of the best of the best. ;)

Speaking of which, if you'd sell your cans here in CO direct, I'd buy one. I'm in the Denver area - which dealer would you suggest?

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. Since our SOT is based in Wyoming, our suppressors have to go through a class 3 dealer in Colorado for Colorado residents. However, Jensen Arms (Loveland) and Alan Samuel (Dumont) both sell our cans. (Jensen Arms usually has some in stock, and Alan has some 30P's in stock right now too.) You can also bug Oliver at Iron Ridge Arms (Longmont) to get an order going.

If you want a demo first, contact me privately and we can arrange something.

thanks
Zak

Alan has some? I already have five or six things going through him, he probably even mentioned you (we talked about CO Multi-Gun for a bit)

I didn't even think to ask about them. D'oh.

Alan has some .30 cal, no .22's right now. I think Jensens has some un-accounted-for .22's either right now, or coming in very soon.

-z

Back