22 silencer input needed

UniversalFrost

Ok folks.

I have been looking around for a .22 silencer for one of my Ruger Chargers and possible to swap onto one of my 10/22 rifles as well.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Outback II or the Quest.

Reviews are needed from owners and please feel free to add any other cans I may want to look into.

JOE

thanks Ken,

I will have to shoot him a PM.

I am actually in Colorado right now (TDY til June)

So , I might just have to look him up and stop by.

JOE

Joe,

There are a lot of good .22LR cans. Our is made of Ti and works on .22WMR and .17 HMR also.

Give me a call or email and we can arrange a demo while you're here.

-z

I've got an Outback II and a Quest. The Outback is ever so slightly quieter than the Quest. If you want total quiet, the Outback is the way to go. I got the Quest to run in full auto on my M16/Ciener. It works fantastic in that role, and it can be disassembled for cleaning. It is much heavier than the Outback, and a bit louder, but it is still a good can.

There are a lot of good .22LR cans. Our is made of Ti and works on .22WMR and .17 HMR also.
Your website says your suppressors are "sealed" . . .

I'm not even a low-grade expert on suppressors, but I know .22s are dirty, and postings in the forums at http://www.silencertests.com/ assert that all sorts of schmutz will accumulate inside a .22 suppressor over time.

How do you clean it out of a sealed can? :confused:

well, from what i have done in the past on my other cans was to soak in gun cleaner than run a brush through then rinse. Of course always go by the makers recommendations.

JOE

I make sure to shoot some high velocity ammo through it now and then, and I tap it on my bumper to knock the crud out. I have about 2500 rounds through my personal demo can right now and there is no buildup. That's my "cleaning is over-rated" spiel. However, since it's Ti, you can use solvents and/or an ultrasonic cleaner if you really have to get it clean.

Check this out... My Outback II weighs almost double what it did when it was new. It still is as quiet as ever. Eventually, I'll send it back to GemTech for a refurb...

I've had quite a few individuals request my assistance when purchasing their first suppressor (usually their first NFA item altogther). Of those I assisted or guided through selection and the process of application, they have bought a wide array of .22 cans. From Tac65's to Outbacks to Pilots to Quests to Aviators to Checkmates and other smaller, lesser known companies. I have yet to have one single person come back and say "I wish I had gone with X instead of the one I got". I would say that the chances are excellent that whichever can you chose, you will not be sorry. .22's are very easy to effectively suppress, and the choices to effect that means are endless because the manufacturers 'get it'. The only thing I would ask myself, is 'how hard am I going to be on this thing'. I couldn't imagine being hard on my Outback (my first can), but my selection criteria for my latest can (Quest) was a bit more rigid because I plan on dumping tens of thousands of fully automatic .22lr's downrange through it. I'm about to buy a Checkmate mostly because I think it is a cool design, it is cheap, and the manufacturer is one guy that does it in his spare time.

Trust me, suppressors are like Ruffles (or whoever), betcha can't have just one...

well, guys this is not my first time around the block with cans or NFA items, but I don't own a "modern" (last 5 years) can and was wanting input on the greatest can (in your experience) . I have seen teh 65 in operation and like that you can break it down for cleaning, but have also seen it come loose many times, so that is a turn off. Right now I will only be using for semi auto "plinking", but I might show it slight full auto fire in the future (depending on how my stocks do at the end of the year).

This can (and the 9mm trident I just put money down on) will be my first cans on a trust. All the others were the "normal" process.

If the trust thing works out (all others on another forum I got the details from have had zero problems including several SOT dealers now helping file out the trust's and a private lawyer who does the NFA trusts) I will post my experiences in another thread as well.

Anyway, I am gonna stop by Zak's shop and see his cans first hand. They are interesting and I always like to support fellow TFL members, plus I might look at the 30 cal cans for another purchase later on.

Anyway, Zak's can, the quest and outback II are the finalists so far .

JOE

I have an Outback II & a TAC 67. I like the 67 better. It's built like a tank and I can take it apart -- something I insist on considering the unknown future of NFA stuff.

I own the Advanced Armament Company Pilot can. Ive got about 4000 rnds through it (estimated). Its a sealed can so it is not user servicable. Its quieter than the Outback II. I've shot both side-by-side on a couple occaisions. If you want the QUIETEST muzzle can available for .22LR you want to get AAC's Avaitor. Its STUPID Quiet.

If you're can uses ALuminum (sp) baffels, then you DO NOT want to use a sonic cleaner..

Here is how you clean a sealed .22 can.

1. Soak it in Mineral Spirits for 2 days (48 hours) and bang the threadded end against a hard surface. Then let it air dry or blow it out with compressed air... Then shoot the first mag throug it with CCI Stingers or other very hot .22 rounds. 5:10 shots will blow all the other loose crud out the end...

2. Soak it for 4 or 5 hours in gasoline. Tap the treadded end against a hard surface, then blow it dry with an air compressor... DO NOT let it air dry. Gas is costic and can potentially harm aluminum (I dont know for sure). Next time you shoot use HOT rounds for a mag or 2.

THis is all you have to do and it will give you a LIFE-TIME of service. If you do manage to shoot it out, if you purchase a name-brand can the manu's will replace/repair it free of charge. AAC, Gem-Tech, and SWR (SWR's Warlock is VERY, VERY, nice too) will replace or repair a damaged baffle stack free of charge... AAC is a little slow on customer service but will stand behind their products, Gem-Tech is REAL good about standing behind their stuff and customer service is OUTSTANDING, and SWR is top-of-the league as well!

A side note.. Any can that is not sealed will NOT be as quiet as the sealed units are. The TI is a GREAT cheap can. You can take it apart, but there really isn't a need to unless you want to scrub your baffles to a gleaning finish again, but that's not neccessary... really it isn't.

I have a American Armament Corp. (AAC) Pilot. it's tiny and doesn't weigh a thing. You can switch it to your 10-22. It's really quiet. All you can hear is the action of your gun. I haven't ever shot it on a rifle, but I imagine it's much quieter than on my p22. You might pay a little more for one, but hell it has a lifetime warranty.

I am not sure of the brand on our 3 lug MP5, but I think it needs a cleaning or overhaul. Gotta find out the manufacturer first. Thanks for the links earlier on in the thread.

yeah.... it was really late. but anywho i haven't had the first problem out of mine. my neighbors have PTSD from vietnam and they hated me shooting at all on my property. now for all they know i'm shooting a pellet gun.

Back