.22 pistol for child

At what point did the OP hint that he was going to hand his 8 y/o a gun and send him out in the world on his own? My 8 y/o has had a T/C 22 rifle since he was 6. He never touches it unless I'm sitting beside him. AFWIW one of my closest friends started riding a dirt bike when he was about seven, the envy of everyone in the neighborhood. He's managed to survive 40 years and still rides.

i got the ruger 22/45 lite, nice little gun, i like the supressor goes flush with the barrel, shot about 10 mags

front sight came loose about third mag, came loose again after finished, ill try locktight next time

i am not giving a child a gun to keep under his pillow btw, it will be locked away with the others until he is, i dunno, depends on a childs maturity, but maybe 15-17 y/o, thank you everyone for the ridiculous concern

thanks for everyones replies

skizzums said:
i got the ruger 22/45 lite, nice little gun, i like the supressor goes flush with the barrel, shot about 10 mags

front sight came loose about third mag, came loose again after finished, ill try locktight next time

i am not giving a child a gun to keep under his pillow btw, it will be locked away with the others until he is, i dunno, depends on a childs maturity, but maybe 15-17 y/o, thank you everyone for the ridiculous concern

thanks for everyones replies

The 22/45 LITE is an excellent choice. It was my first host. Which LITE did you buy, Gold, Black, or Cobolt?

Use Blue Loctite on the front sight screw. Red Loctite is too strong, and if you decide later to replace the front sight with a Fiber Optic sight, the Red makes it very difficult to remove. Ruger used to always use Blue Loctite on front sight threads, but for whatever reason(probably the mad rush to make guns as fast as possible), they have not been using it, or very little. It is a common problem to have the front sight come loose on the LITE. There some things that can be done to improve the LITE. Here are some comments I made to another new owner of a LITE who was asking for some help. If its redundant, or if you already have this knowledge, Im sorry, but I thought it could help.

1. Magazine Disconnect Removal. $20-$60. Ruger installed a magazine disconnect in your 22/45 so that people with little knowledge of firearms have another safety feature to help keep them, and those around them, safe. It keeps you from shooting the pistol, with the magazine removed, and a round in the chamber. Too many people have the incorrect, and dangerous belief that removing the magazine makes the pistol safe. The problem is, they forget there is a live round in the chamber. The magazine disconnect protects against a negligent discharge in a situation like this.

The problem with magazine disconnect safeties is sometimes they can make a pistol inoperative in a critical situation. If the magazine isnt seated completely, is lost, or possibly damaged, the pistol is useless. You cant even use it as a single shot. The second problem with the Mag Disco, in the case of the Ruger 22/45, is it affects the trigger pull, making it heavy, and gritty. The third reason to remove the Mag Disco is that it will not allow the magazines to drop freely when the magazine release is pressed.

To remove the Mag Disco, you need to open the pistol, and remove a lever, and a bushing, and replace the bushing with one designed for the purpose of replacing the factory bushing. I wont get into the mechanics of that, there are many threads here and elsewhere describing the process. I recommend the Majestic Arms 3.2 Speed Strip Kit. It removes the Mag Disco, has the bushing you need, and improves the trigger pull greatly, with a new hammer. The cost is $60 and it gives you the benefit of the Speed Strip. You will find the SPEED STRIP is a absolute benefit, once you decide to strip the pistol for cleaning.

2. Slingshot Mod. FREE-$25. Ruger, for whatever reason, made the 22/45 so that when releasing the bolt, you have to manually push down the bolt lock lever. The correct, and damage free way to close the bolt is to pull back the bolt, and let the lever drop freely. You shouldnt use the lock lever to drop the bolt by itself. It causes damage to the lever, and the bolt. This is why the process is called " sling shot" because it mimics the action of a slingshot. The 22/45 is different from all other pistols, because the lock lever isnt spring loaded to drop down. You have to push it down while pulling back the bolt. There is a spring detent, that when removed, makes is so much easier to close the bolt. Removing the spring, and detent ball, allows gravity to drop the lever. Most times, the "gravity slingshot mod" works perfectly, as long as the pistol is held in the firing position. If you dont trust this, there are kits for $25 that add a downward pushing spring, and ball, that make the pistol operate correctly and without fail, each time you close the bolt. TANDEMKROSS has a good slingshot kit and is the one I refer to.

3. Magazine Bumper Baseplates. $4-$6. The magazine on the 22/45 has a baseplate that is flush with the bottom of the grip, but also actually fits up inside the grip housing. Seating the magazine completely can be difficult. Removing the factory baseplate, and replacing it with a "Bumper Baseplate" makes seating the magazine trouble free. This is a very effective mod, and is low cost.

4. Magazine assist Loaders. $10-$30. Loading the 22/45 magazines is easy. That is, the first or second time. After you realize how much fun shooting this pistol can be, you will want to shoot it all day long. Thats when the discomfort starts. Loading the magazine 100 times in an afternoon is painful for your fingers. There are several magazine assist loaders that make things much easier, if not almost automatic. The best one is The Ultimate Cliploader from McFadden.

The most recent magazines that Ruger is shipping are gritty and rough. They can cause function problems. They are turning things out so fast these days, that quantity is required over quality. Its an easy fix though, to smooth them up, and make them function like they should. HERE is a link to the process.

thank for the advice, if #1 will help trigger pull, i may consider it

i havent noticed an isssue with seating or loadng the mag YET, but we will see

the slingshot i will also look into

i dont see the pistol getting alot of use right now, but in the future it might be a different story

very informative, i appreciate it

just plain ol black

TABING said:
Ruger Bearcat +1.

Why do yo want a threaded barrel? No offense meant.
In two different posts he said he wanted to put a silencer on it. Revolvers don't work well with silencers and they don't come with threaded barrels.

I have a couple of rugers hanging around and the first thing I do to any of them is replace the bushing with the Tandemkross bushing.

Ruger Bearcat with .22 Super Colibri ammo

This ammo is extremely quiet and is accurate up to 30 yards. It will kill a squirrel or a rat. The Ruger Bearcat is a beautifully made hand gun, smaller than the rest, but accurate. Also it is single action, so you don't have the temptation to "empty the clip".

that super colibre ammo is terrible for me, at 25 yards or more its all over the place, it is a very cool idea though, love how quiet it is. but usually i just use the remington sub-sonic, its decently accurate and usually very quiet silenced. i do get the occasional round that cracks the barrier though. still have shot the sr again yet, but will get the tandemkross bushing everyone is reccommending. thanks

My Ruger MKxx and Browning Buckmarks are too big for my 10 year old boy and 12 and 13 year old girls. The SR22 fit their small hands; it allows good trigger reach with proper grip and easy manipulation of controls.
Have both and was going to say ruger but the grip on sr22 is adjustable from small to large to fit my big hands. Graf little gun.

My daughter still on her .22 cricket single shot though last time out I let her try a .38 revolver. I just put one bullet in but that was enough for her. She is 11 now.
My son is 5 but I don't let him near live guns. I'm getting pellet gun soon for city house so will prob start him on that soon. He is way too much into toy guns at moment and could not keep a real one pointed safely.

I learned about 8 yrs old and shot my dads Ruger MK 1. I guess in my state of Iowa one can't let a son or daughter near a handgun till they are 14. Stupid laws.

Last edited:
I think as this post has evolved it's become evident that this pistol was not really for the son at all but is in fact a new toy for dad. ;) Perhaps this was a ploy to get past the wife, sometimes a difficult task. Sounds like mission accomplished. Now I admit I've never shot a gun with a can and only seen pictures but my impression is you lose the ability to really aim as well as a pistol without one. Now when you are training a young one to shoot, the challenge is to hit the target, that's what will keep them happy and wanting more. I doubt the son will be that excited over the lack of noise. Dad, yes.
It's time to fess up skizzums. We all know what you were doing but it sounds like you got it by the wife. Congrats. :D

jag2 said:
Now I admit I've never shot a gun with a can and only seen pictures but my impression is you lose the ability to really aim as well as a pistol without one.
Most .22 silencers don't obstruct your sights at all, so they're just as easy to aim as shooting without it.

My first .22 handgun was a Ruger Super Single Six when I was about 11-12 years old. One of the ones I sold when I was having children. Wished I would have held on to it.

I think that single action teaches kids to take their time with their shot process. heck, if I'd been given a Riger Standard Auto .22, can you imagine all the ammo that would have been shot up quicker? Would make for a short range day.

I have 17 pistols threaded for my suppressor. Only on one, a Beretta Bobcat, are the sights lower than the suppressor.

My six grand kids love the Browning 1911-22......it's a scaled down 1911 that fits small hands extremely well.

+1000 on that. I just got one and I love it. It's small, lightweight and easy for a kid with small hands to handle. Also it has a (much maligned) magazine disconnect in case your kid makes the inevitable boo-boo of forgetting to check the chamber after removing the magazine. All controls function exactly like a 1911, so, when he gets older, he'll be able to graduate to a more serious full-sized 1911.:D

Stay away from anything that's made of Zamak.

Back