.22 pistol for child

Thanks weblance. Thats a good list. And just so everyone knows, im not just going to give my 8 year old a gun, rifle or pistol, it will be my gun and will stay home in the safe when not being used under his parents supervision.

I actually have a very old colt woodsman which i could probably trade for a newer buckmark.

I started my daughter at 6y/o with a Beretta Neos, she is 9 now and has since moved on to a Ruger 22/45 by my choice not hers. The Neos has the smallest grip I know of in a accurate, reliable pistol.
I am sure this has been mentioned and im sure you already know. But, make sure this is not a weapon (or any others) he has access to without you being present. Stress safety and the importance of safety (firing line, muzzle direction, treat every gun as if it were loaded, etc...) and never give hime or let him play with toy guns again.Its to easy to develop bad habits with a toy, like pointing at people. For the first year or so I taught my daughter with 1 round in the magazine and stressed her loading and firing safely. She also has her own Ruger 10/22 (looks like an pink camo AR) and prefers that to shooting the pistol. At 50yds she is shooting very impressive groups with the rifle. With the pistol she struggles to hit where she wants to with consistency. Keep it fun and times short. Be redundant with safety. After all a 22 is still a deadly weapon.

Ruger SR22.
It is what I use when teaching people with small hands. I do not like how the thumb safety works on it (opposite that of 1911) but it is a good little pistol.

My Ruger MKxx and Browning Buckmarks are too big for my 10 year old boy and 12 and 13 year old girls. The SR22 fit their small hands; it allows good trigger reach with proper grip and easy manipulation of controls.

S&W M&P .22

I've taken my 8 year old son out to shoot mine and he really enjoyed it. You can get a threaded barrel for them as well.

+/- $350 new

The browning 1911-22 is very nice and small grip, but its a bit pricey if you can even find one. Beretta Neos is inexpensive, reliable, accurate, small grip and generally available. Only downside is that its a bit ugly.

Guys... the OP has stated several times he wants a threaded barrel 22 pistol. The Browning 1911-22 and Beretta Neos, are nice, accurate pistols, but neither come with, or can be easily threaded, for a suppressor.

I made the mistake once of trying to teach a youth to shoot with a pistol.

It was rapid fire until the magazine was empty. Despite my telling him again and again to slow down, he sprayed 'n prayed. Had him load with just one round in the magazine. That slowed him down.

Revolvers. Slow, long double action trigger. Teach them trigger control and sight picture. When they're good, then rapid fire with the double action trigger. When they mastered this, then it's time for the pistol.

I question why the guy wants a threaded barrel on a gun that he intends to teach his kid with.

Oh, well...:confused:

I would guess he wants a suppressor so he can hear/talk to the kid while teaching him? I have electronic earmuffs for that purpose way cheaper than a suppressor.

Or he is trying to train him to be an assassin IDK. :p

I'd push hearing protection as well. Much cheaper and the boy could shoot a variety of firearms, not just this special one.

But then maybe the OP requires a suppressor on all his firearms.

no, but i have a 22 silencer, but mainly because i like to shoot in my yard w/o annoying my neighbors, i already have a rifle and would like to teach him to shoot pistol

whats wrong with that?

thanks for the suggestions, i like the buckmark and will investigate the others

the cohort looks cool too

I have 2 boys, now 10 and 12 that started shooting .22LR pistols at about 6. I went through most of them mentioned and settled on the .22/45s from Ruger. Better triggers, can be improved, great aftermarket support as well.

The SIG for instance, they both hated it. The trigger pull was terrible, sold it, same for most of the rest. The Buckmark and the Ruger 22/45 are my go to choices for youth.

The suppressor goes on a few models of the 22/45s. While I have a light and a standard with threaded barrels, they shoot the standard better than the Lite, so I would go that way. At 9 and 11, they shot in the Ruger Rimfire Challenge both regional and Worlds with these and an AR22.

Bring him to the NSSF Rimfire Worlds in Arkansas the first week of October. Very youth friendly competition and we will have some Pro Clinics at the Friday evening shooter reception.

Good on you for teaching him!!!

skizzums said:
the cohort looks cool too

Wait... What...? Who said Cohort? IF you are going to build one, make sure you start with a CHARGER receiver, or virgin receiver that can be listed as a pistol. DONT take a 10/22 receiver, and use the Cohort, or Charger barrel. Thats making a SBR, and would need NFA requirements.

I have a TI Cohort pistol. It does come with a threaded barrel. Its a fun pistol, but is heavy, and not something I would say is a "starter" for a child.

Picture001Small_zps9f894c11.jpg

You mentioned bench type shooting, have you considered a Contender? Granted just a single shot but will outshot any of the semis out there. Original cost will be over your 4 bills by a bit but upgrading to larger calibers is cheaper. My 8 year old loves shooting mine in 22 or with the 300 whisper barrel.
If you're dead set on an auto that SR22 is small enough that just about any hand can get a grip on it.

The walther p22 is pretty cheep. It does not come with a threaded barrel but the piece you need is only like 15 bucks. With out the suppressor its pretty ammo picky but with the suppressor it will run about any thing.

I am not set on an auto. I don't know why I didn't think of t/c, I need one of those anyway. do like tgat cohort though. But it's not technically for me, I gotta try to remember that.

Not advisable!!! Until your child is at least 10 years old and has A hunter safety course, his/her curiosity and sense of power is immature. Or maybe you would want to get him a dirt bike and see if he's ready at that age?

My point is do not allow your son/daughter to have possession of a firearm unless you are on constant guard with him in its use. He/she will be older and more mature to learn the safety rules and precautions a hunter safety course offers.

A suppressed 22 pistol is one of the best things to teach a child to shot with. My 4 year old daughter uses my suppressed Walther P22 and is a decent shot (at self defence range)

There is nothing better than a suppressed 22 to teach with. There is no recoil and no muzzle blast. Some people frown on it but it helps to not have to wear hearing protection when you are working with people that have never shot before. The muffs or plugs are just 1 more distraction to deal with. They also make it harder to hear you if you need to help them with something at the line.

All that said I do believe in using hearing protection but in my book a silencer counts as protection at least in 22lr.

Back