.22 mag vs. .32 Long, all else equal....

If we disregard enough of the differences, such as noise, potential capacity, bullet weight, and bullet diamter, then the choice becomes, within those parameters, literally six of one or a half dozen of the other and there is no wrong answer to the original question.

If the only caveat is availability of ammunition I choice 32

.22 mag has some decent rounds for self defense and can be found most anywhere, but its a rimfire. .32 Long costs about the same per round, but is harder to find, however it is centerfire.

I know you listed this as a premise but availability only becomes a factor if it is virtually zero. Several years ago during one of the scares finding .22 Magnum, even ordering it online, became a real problem and that scares me in regards to the round. .32 might be harder to find locally but I do not recall an instance where one could not even order it.

If you want the answer to be the .22 it can be because there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
I know you listed this as a premise but availability only becomes a factor if it is virtually zero. Several years ago during one of the scares finding .22 Magnum, even ordering it online, became a real problem and that scares me in regards to the round. .32 might be harder to find locally but I do not recall an instance where one could not even order it.

If you want the answer to be the .22 it can be because there is nothing wrong with it.
This is very true and in 2016 I bought a revolver that had a .22 LR and .22 Mag cylinder. At that time getting LR was easy enough, but specific .22 Mag ammo like Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot was impossible and that didn't change for a year.

.22 Mag was flat out unavailable for YEARS during the last panic.

That type of situation with a cartridge is probably one of the reasons I haven't bought a rifle in .22 Mag as it becomes a big paperweight.

For a single action revolver that comes with two cylinders, you at least have the option of .22 LR, but a double action revolver, unless it's a Taurus Tracker, you're stuck with .22 Mag only.

I see the virtues of both cartridges.
I do own several .22 maggie revolvers, but also own several .327 magnum revolvers.

The .32 S&W Long is fun to shoot and can do just about anything that the .22 mag can do.

I enjoy shooting the .32 S&W Longs and the .22 WMR for fun. Want to teach a new shooter the revolver basics? Both cartridges are good for that.

Back