.22 mag vs. .32 Long, all else equal....

I think both rounds are under rated.

A couple indoor ranges have "no magnum" rules. So the .22 Mag is out. I can shoot my 10MM all I want with whatever loads I want but the ballistically similar .357 Magnum is out.

I already favor the .32 for nostalgia. The more I think about it the more I think this is a thread that is literally about "a half dozen of one" or "six of the other" and makes no so little difference as to not matter.

Both rounds at that barrel length have about the same amount of energy.

The 32 operates at almost 1/2 the pressure of the 22 Mag. so it will be easier on the ears.

Small and fast vs. bigger and slower; in this case I will take a 32 SWC over a 22Mag. HP. The 32 Long SWC can penetrate over 14".

For me the 32 Long is the winner.

I would pick 32 Long because I am set up to reload and cast bullets .

Otherwise , if I didn't and had to rely on factory ammo I would go 22 Magnum. You stand a much better chance of finding a box of 22 magnum than 32 Long at the local sporting goods store .

Gary

The NAA site used to have velocity and energy results for the 2" bbl and other bbl lengths for .22 mag from their actual firearms. Can no longer find that info on their site, however IIRC the .22 mag developed approx 80 fpe. The B/Bore site reveals their .32 L short bbl energy at approx 165 fpe. The .32 L appears to hit twice as hard with double bullet weight. Not even a close comparison.

Here are the links.

https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/ball-bwm/

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=344

The spread for 22 Mag is around 30 ftlbs or between 80 to 110 ftlbs. Speer Gold Dot specialty round makes ~100 ftlbs.

The Luckygunner write-up on the 32 S&W Long uses standard target loads from a 2" to arrive at the ~90ftlb result. Buffalo Bore's 32SWL specialty round makes ~130 ftlb.

Main benefits of the 32 S&W Long are:
- handloading
- specialty ammo
- centerfire

Main benefits of the 22 Magnum are:
- availability of +1 or +2 rounds guns

I'd go for the .32 but only because I think that centerfire ammunition ULignition is more reliable than rimfire is over the long haul.
The wife and I have over 1,200 rounds through our Taurus 941UL's without a fail to fire, NO DUDS. Granted center fire is more reliable BUT, I would not hesitate to carry the Taurus

Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast w/c from 3" Smith 872 fps / @170 fpe - similar to .380. .22 mag not even close. Our local Cabelas always has a variety of .32 L - @$15/box of 50. For me the .32 L is much more versatile for the remote mountains I frequent in the N/W - potent B/B for peace of mind and very soft whisper loads for grouse. Werks fer mee. I divested myself of the .22s as a result of this lack of versatility.

Which do you choose in a lightweight J-frame?

5-shot .38sp
6-shot .32long
7-shot .22wmr
8-shot .22lr

For myself, I'd take any of them and consider myself armed.

Bigger, heavier, sub-sonic. .38 Special from that list. What's a j-frame? Just kidding... sorta. I shoot Rugers mostly.

On topic, if I had to chose, the .32 Long over .22Mag for same reason as above. That said, I only use the .32 H&R Mag and hand load it accordingly. I don't load .32 Long or .327 Mag.

Warning: we are discussing loading above SAAMI or CIP loading standards for the cartridge(s) discussed.

If hand laoded according to rclark's post... the 32 long in a S&W ANYTHING 1900's wins hands down. Just look at Parker Otto Ackley's load data from the 1960's to see that the 98 gr. bullet can be pushed to 1000 fps from a solid frame hand gun. Those loads were from a 3" Model 30/31. Even out of those guns we can turn the volume up to 11.

I use the long Barrel 22 mag for most things. but then I can hit you in the head if needed and no recoil. I can hit a can or bottle on the side of the road while driving buy at 60 MPH so a head shot standing still is no problem. No brag, just practice and fun in the deserts of NV.

I would prefer 32 long.

It has roughly 1.5 times the diameter, and IIRC, usually about double the weight.\

When in doubt, I prefer the bigger hole.

Hand loads get to be a very taboo subject if you go to court and have to argue self defense.
If you need to introduce gunshot residu tests to wupport your case.

But how many of the rounds you shoot end up being carried?

There also seems to be a group here that doesn't understand how hearing damage occurs. I believe you should spend some time reading up on the subject. There's a big difference between mechanical/physical damage to auditory receptors, and the perception (or exclusion) of sound on neurological and psychological levels.
Few lay persons anywhere understand that.

ok, the 22 mag is louder than the .32 Long. back on topic shall we?

What variables are we allowed to consider?

I mean this is not a minor difference in noise we are discussing. The 22 magnum is LOUD. For me that is not the deciding factor but its a valid variable of discussion.

Back