.22 LR for carjacking defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and another point is that you are trying to defend your life. Hearing loss you can live with death well----- select something that will help you stop the fight as soon as possible because a marginal stopper is just that marginal and we are looking for a stopper not a pop gun.

and another point is that you are trying to defend your life. Hearing loss you can live with death well

That's what I thought.....except the OP seems to think that life without/with limited hearing is not worth living.... I guess we all have our priorities

You would both be very wrong, all it takes is one single exposure to suffer permanent damage, and when inside a vehicle the blast will be almost doubled. I fired a single .357 with no protection and my left ear has high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. If you don't believe me research it. Also before you go on to say it cant happen from just one shot, mods have warned posters about such and will ban you for endangering peoples well being with false information. Hearing loss is no joke, especially when you get stuck with Tinnitus which is permanent ringing in the ear.

Whoa, stop a second and pull the stick out. The guy didn't state fact just his belief. Big difference!

I had 2 .357 shots at muzzle level mear inches from my left ear. Couldn't hear out of the ear for a week with all the ringing. No noticeable hearing loss. I'm checked yearly and my hearing is normal. .357 has to be the highest pitched blast outta all of them.

I wouldn't feel unarmed with a .22, they will punch through a human skull. They also have the benifit of not making such a mess on the interior of your car.

I've been carjacked. At the time, I was armed. I let them have the car.

My point is that a weapon is not an "anti-carjack defense weapon", it's just a weapon.

I got my car back about forty minutes later, the bad guy went to jail, everyone who mattered was happy.

I teach that weapons are for the defense of life, and that each episode must be judged on the spot, separately and accurately.

If you can get out of a situation by giving up your car, your wallet, your keys, your hat, I teach to do so.

If that won't work, you need a weapon. And at that point, I wouldn't want a .22.

My point is that a weapon is not an "anti-carjack defense weapon", it's just a weapon.

I got my car back about forty minutes later, the bad guy went to jail, everyone who mattered was happy.

I teach that weapons are for the defense of life, and that each episode must be judged on the spot, separately and accurately.

If you can get out of a situation by giving up your car, your wallet, your keys, your hat, I teach to do so.

If that won't work, you need a weapon. And at that point, I wouldn't want a .22.

The best words of wisdom thus far.

If your hearing is truly valuable enough to consider sacrificing your life, you might consider some in ear or over the ear electronic hearing protection to wear at all times when in public. A car backfiring, an air tank rupturing, or any number of loud hearing damaging noises are far more likely to happen to you than a defensive gun use.

I dunno, but I'm beginning to think that the best defense against being car-jacked is a manual transmission.

what is this all about with you Americans loathing manual transmission?

Back on topic:

in confined spaces, I reckon you can get serious hearing damage from a .22 as well, particularly if it's a wheelgun with the cylinder gap adding a few dB to the bang, as someone has already pointed out above. The only solutions would be 1.) a can or 2.) the use of special ammunition for in-room-training which produces clearly lower sound levels. The problem with the latter is that its terminal ballistics are even more questionable than with standard .22lr loads, around 60 joules instead of 110, depending on barrel lenght. (44 instead of 81 lbs/ft, to stay imperial...).

play the odds. yes, bad things happen--odds of it happening to you are remote. don't do stupid stuff--ie hang around wrong places at the wrong time. if your gonna carry and your gonna defend yourself, your not gonna have much time. do what you gotta do and be done with it--carry as much as you and situation warrants.

I'm a musician, among other things. I played loud rock & roll in my youth-to the point my ears rang for days. I have also double-tapped a .30 carbine pistol in a car, and shot .38 special in a house, had 7.62 X 39 shot near me without protection, etc. Such is life. At 58, I do have some degree of hearing loss. While one incident can cause hearing loss-it certainly won't deafen you.
I think I did more damage with loud music and the unintentional unprotected AK shooting than even the .30 carbine (and they are LOUD in a pistol!) I still enjoy music, and can still play.

There is a wide individual variance as to the effects of one gun shot from no discernible effect to permanent tinnitis.

When folks say this or that sensory loss will or will not happen as a way of predicting risk - the discussion is not useful.

Thus, this has run its course.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back