.22 LR for carjacking defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a doctor either, but I do not believe that one to three shots fired from a .38 special, .380 or smaller caliber, from within a vehicle would cause permanent hearing loss. This is just my opinion from a non-expert and open to correction from those who have better information about such matters. But as has been said many times on TFL, one's choice in a defensive firearm is a highly individual decision. I would go with the .38 special, but perhaps if I were the conductor of a symphony orchestra, I might feel differently and go with the .22 lr, or some other means of self-defense. There is such a thing as a "psychological stop;" meaning a person hit by a bullet (even if the wound is not life threatening) is likely to stop whatever they were doing in order to avoid being shot again. I'd prefer the .38 but I would not feel unarmed with the .22. Why not carry one and keep the other in the car? From my understanding of what happened at the Wisconsin State Fair and several other incidents around the country that summer, a quick reload (New York or otherwise) may have been necessary.

Last edited:
Rifleman1952

I'm not a doctor either, but I do not believe that one to three shots fired from a .38 special, .380 or smaller caliber, from within a vehicle would cause permanent hearing loss.

You are wrong.
Any of those cartridges fired in the open would cause permanent hearing loss to some degree. Fired in a closed vehicle the effect would be increased greatly.

Check out this link http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml to see the various sound pressure levels of many cartridges. Of the 12 center fire pistol cartridges listed the lowest level is 152.4 dB for the .32 S&W long. This is well over the thresh hold to cause hearing loss.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure it takes more than one shot to permanently damage your hearing.

I'm not a doctor either, but I do not believe that one to three shots fired from a .38 special, .380 or smaller caliber, from within a vehicle would cause permanent hearing loss.

You would both be very wrong, all it takes is one single exposure to suffer permanent damage, and when inside a vehicle the blast will be almost doubled. I fired a single .357 with no protection and my left ear has high frequency hearing loss and tinnitus. If you don't believe me research it. Also before you go on to say it cant happen from just one shot, mods have warned posters about such and will ban you for endangering peoples well being with false information. Hearing loss is no joke, especially when you get stuck with Tinnitus which is permanent ringing in the ear.

A .22lr might be enough to stop them, but I would personally prefer something a little larger. I would probably go with my Ruger LCP. If I feel my life is in danger to the point of having to draw a weapon and fire, I want enough enough gun to stop the threat. Some may argue that the LCP is not enough gun. If the choice comes down to my life and that of those around me versus a little hearing damage, I will take the shot and save my life and deal with hearing loss.

Three times in my life I have had to produce a firearm in self-defense. Never fired. Bad guys are not very smart, but they are smart enough to know they do not want to be shot with any gun. In all three of those instances the gun I used was a Ruger Single Six in .22 lr.
My carry is a Walther style .22 lr.
Now, if I frequented dark alleys populated by 250 pound druggies my choice might be different. But, I don't.

Well, if even one shot fired from within a vehicle will cause permanent hearing damage (regardless of caliber), then the OP and the hypothetical symphony conductor, should consider some other means of self-defense from within their vehicle. My livelihood is not based upon hearing. In my case, I would be willing to sacrifice a percentage of my hearing ability in order to save my life or the lives of loved ones. The odds are that I will never be carjacked or pulled out of my car and beaten while leaving a state fair. None-the-less, I believe in being prepared.

Well, if even one shot fired from within a vehicle will cause permanent hearing damage (regardless of caliber), then the OP and the hypothetical symphony conductor, should consider some other means of self-defense from within their vehicle.
I haven't tested it of course, but I'm willing to take a chance with the much quieter .22LR in the car rather then nothing.

The odds are that I will never be carjacked or pulled out of my car and beaten while leaving a state fair. None-the-less, I believe in being prepared.
Sure, and your right. I'm sure everyone else who found themselves in that proverbial bad situation probably said the same thing.

It all depends on where you live also. Some one out in the rural areas probably will never have to worry about carjacking, someone living in a big city nowadays... maybe.

One of the most impressive booms I heard was a 22 mag in a confined space. Had muffs but I thought I blew up!

BTW, while I'm a big advocate of hearing potential - using a 22 for hearing protection is a low priority. If I carry a 22 it's a bug or some other special circumstance.

A .22 out of a short barreled revolver is not as quiet as you are thinking that it is...

That's right. A .22lr out of a revolver is louder than a .32 S&W long and much louder than a .32 S&W short. If I was afraid to shoot a .38 Special due to noise, I'd carry a .32 long with wadcutters.

That's right. A .22lr out of a revolver is louder than a .32 S&W long and much louder than a .32 S&W short. If I was afraid to shoot a .38 Special due to noise, I'd carry a .32 long with wadcutters.
Can you give me any specific makes and models that fire the .32 long? That's not something I'm much familiar with.

I haven't tested it of course, but I'm willing to take a chance with the much quieter .22LR in the car rather then nothing.
I think you should actually test it and answer you own question try shooting a 22 lr snub and a 38 snub and see just how much quieter the 22lr isn't;)

S&W, Colt, Ruger and other manufacturers have made revolvers that can fire the .32 S&W long cartridge. A firearm that can chamber the .327 Federal Magnum can fire the 32long as can one chambered in .32 H&R magnum.

If you had a handgun chambered in .327 Fed or .32 H&R mag, you would have the versatility of a more powerful (but louder) cartridge when you wanted it and the ability to shoot quieter .32 longs or .32 S&W. .32 ammo isn't as easy to find on store shelves as it once was and can be expensive if you don't reload.

Here is an example of a J frame Smith for sale in .32 S&WL, here is a Charter Arms in .32 Mag which can also shoot .32L and here is a Taurus in .327 federal that can shoot .32 mag and .32 long.

.32 S&W and .32 S&W long cartridges don't have a lot of power and they still make more noise than pepper spray but they make less noise than most other cartridges.

.32 S&W and .32 S&W long cartridges don't have a lot of power and they still make more noise than pepper spray but they make less noise than most other cartridges.
they are not appreciatively quieter than 38 special target wadcutters and those are easier to find and don't require a gun purchase if he already has a LCR.

I got to experience fighting within the confines of a Humvee once. M-4s in the cab and an M-2 .50 going off above my head.

I don't know the science behind auditory exclusion, but after getting back to the FOB, my ears felt fine (I had in an ear piece in one ear) but I felt like I did back in high school after getting a concussion during football.

So, my point is, if it comes to your guns, you might not even notice your ears.

they are not appreciatively quieter than 38 special target wadcutters and those are easier to find and don't require a gun purchase if he already has a LCR.

I beg to differ. While I don't have any special measuring equipment, .38 wadcutters sure sound louder to me than .32L.

I think you should actually test it and answer you own question try shooting a 22 lr snub and a 38 snub and see just how much quieter the 22lr isn't
I haven't tested one in a car,:eek: but in my youth I have shot some inside a house, and I've shot them outside and watched videos of other people doing so.

They sound like cap guns compared to most centerfire cartridges.

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't think a .32 S&W would be quieter then a .22 lr. Seems like a physical impossibility.

Are target wadcutters significantly quieter then regular .38spl? If that's the case, I can try some out in my LCR first.

My perfected method of carry is in the pocket, so it would be a good idea to have another gun within reach as I wouldn't be able to get at my pockets while strapped into a car.

Last edited:
no matter what firearm you shoot there will be hearing loss. A 22 lr will not help you out mutch at all. About all you could do is get a suppressor but then you have an NFA item stored in your car, if by chance it was stolen out of your car you would be in deep deep trouble. I just stick with my glock and say good enough.

Several websites, including this one ( http://www.m1911.org/loudness.htm) list the noise level of a .22LR handgun at 152 dB.

The people who are saying a gunshot report will permanently damage your hearing are correct -- but they fail to quantify the amount of damage. Hearing damage is permanent, and usually cumulative, but in most cases occurs in very small increments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back