22 Lever Rifle That Will Shoot .22 LR AND .22 Shorts?

My old single shot Winder Musket will chamber and fire all 3. Reloads are slow going, however. :D --And it has a lever action.

Last edited:
Back in the day, shorts were cheaper than longs, and both were cheaper than long-rifle cartridges. Over the decades, the long-rifle cartridge has evolved to become the dominant rim fire cartridge with so many performance options that it has rendered the short and long versions largely obsolete. In spite of the fact that the long-rifle cartridge requires more materials to produce, the sheer volume of production makes it cheaper and more profitable to make than the 22 Short. In a tubular-magazine rifle, there is only one advantage left to the 22 Short, and that is that your rifle will hold more shorts than long-rifle cartridges.

My wife has a Browning BL22 which shoots all the sizes. It's a Grade II, so it's a real beauty, but too expensive just to shoot a rat. However, if you need a really nice rifle, this is one to consider.

Speed-D- Loader

Just purchased a Henry .22 LR and was wanting to get a Speed-D-Loader though I cant seem to find one in Australia and the sites that I have seen do not deliver to OZ.. Anyone know where I could get my hands on a Speed-D- Loader here in Queensland Australia or who ships them out of the U.S or any other country to Australia??:confused:

Gyvel. I have one in 22 short with the flaming bomb acceptance mark, and another with a 22 lr barrel, no military acceptance stamp. The Long Rifle barrel has the faster twist necessary for the long rifle, so I am guessing it came that way. There is no evidence of an overstamp for the chambering marks, 22 Long Rifle plain as day.

It is a tack driver. That Lyman rear sight on each of them is really nice. I have no idea about the LR rifle's provenance, but it doesn't appear to have been issued to the military like the short. I bought it for a good shooter, and it is that. The barrel has been drilled and tapped for scope blocks, so it's not a museum piece by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
Just purchased a Henry .22 LR and was wanting to get a Speed-D-Loader though I cant seem to find one in Australia and the sites that I have seen do not deliver to OZ.. Anyone know where I could get my hands on a Speed-D- Loader here in Queensland Australia or who ships them out of the U.S or any other country to Australia??

The manufacturer of the Speed-D-Loader notes that they can ship worldwide:
http://www.spee-d-loader.net/shipping-returns/

There is another speed loader for tubular magazines, called the Quik-Load, but I'm not sure if they ship internationally:
http://www.quik-load.com/

Good luck finding the speed loader you want, even though the world is connected electronically, we can't always get what we want :(

Speed D Loader

Thanks Lever Gun man... I went to the site for the Speed D loader and currently it states... "The selected product combination is currently unavailable." which was all the Speed D Loaders, so I have wrote to them , see what comes of that... Thanks again for your help :)

my marlin 39a shoots 22 short, long or long rifle, through stinger/interceptor level, with no problems.

just be careful on shorts and cb loads.

if loaded weakly, there is always a chance of having bullet stop in barrel, and then shooting another into it.

but 39a does feed all 3 lengths just fine. and holds 19 long rifle, 22 longs, and up to 25 shorts.

"are the CCI quiets more powerful a round over the shorts, or are they simply long rifle rounds loaded down to short power? Would a quiet round be more lethal than a short?"

I think the "Quiets" are around 710 fps with a 40 grain HP bullet. My perception is they are far better killers than standard velocity solids. I have a box of shorts somewhere but haven't fired one for decades. The low noise ammo feeds better and is more accurate so I don't even consider the shorts as a viable option. I do find the Remington C-Bee ammo more accurate in my 22's than either CCI or Winchester based on shooting hundreds of rounds of this type ammo on my trapline.

I have had the following lever action 22s cycle and shoot .22 shorts (As well as the Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri) without problems:

Browning BL-22
Henry H001Y
Marlin 39a
Winchester 9422
Winchester 250

BTW, even though the Colibris are marked 22lr, they are not the same and will cause feed problems in some rifles.

I have had frequent feed problems with anything other than .22lr in the Mossberg Palomino, although it would, more often than not, feed the shorts.

As always, YMMV. I once had to completely disassemble a semi-auto .22 to remove a Colibri from the action after trying to feed the round from the magazine (the round was destroyed in the process).

Last edited:
I use the Super Colibris in rifles and the regular Colibris in revolvers. I use this ammo to plink without ear protection, but it would also be fine for pest control, birds, etc. My Henry Frontier loads .22 Shorts with no problem.

I've got an old JC Higgens tube feed bolt action that will shoot all the 22's. I've also got a Stevens 87 tube feed semi auto that feeds all, you shouldn't have to spend a lot on a 22 to get one that will feed shorts.

Winchester 69 will do shoot 22lr and 22short. You probably need a different magazine for each.
My dad had a semi-auto 22, a Remington 556? or 550?, with a tube magazine that would take any length of 22.

Probably the easiest lever action to find is the Henry which handles S, L, and LR.

The best is probably either the Browning BL-22 or older Marlin 39A.

The Remington 572 (pump 22 rifle) also handles S, L. and LR. That is the one I grew up with and shot many shorts through it as they were less expensive at the time. Winchester made a pump too years ago.

My Remington 541-S claims to handle all three as well but I have never shot anything through it other than LR's.

Last edited:
Back