22 Lever Rifle That Will Shoot .22 LR AND .22 Shorts?

Homerboy

Have a pest problem and am looking for something to reliably feed .22 shorts. I am currently using the shorts in my 10/22 but I gotta load them one at a time. I know CCI came out with quiet LR ammo but I can't find them but I did find some shorts. I am toying with the idea of a .22 revolver, but wonder if a lever action .22 might be a better choice. But I want reliability. I know a revolver will get me that.

Never tried it since the .22 Short isn't exactly a common round these days but the Marlin 39 is supposed to handle Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle rounds without any problem.

Winchester & Marlin levers, as well other guns with tube magazines, semis, pumps, and bolts.

I know for a fact the Winchester levers will handle short, long, and long rifle interchangeably.

Most guns with tube mags will. Box mag ("clip" type guns, won't feed all of them reliably, all will shoot them fine, if single loaded into the chamber.

So how many shorts get into a standard .22 tube fed lever gun?

According to Marlin's catalog, the 39A wil hold 26 short, 21 long, and 19 long rifle.

I just did a price and availability search for it. It is very hard to find and expensive, even used. Probably not a good choice for those reasons.

I have a Henry Frontier model lever action .22, and my son has a Henry Carbine lever action .22...both shoot shorts just fine. We were shooting a lot of CB shorts just because they're fun, but they've been tough to find the last few months so we shoot LR as well as CCI quiets, which are long rifle but just as quiet as a CB short. Neither of us ever have feed problems. Henry's are very forgiving with what you feed them.

I got a hundred rounds of CCI shorts for 23 bucks. Got 2 boxes. Expensive, yeah. But I'm not gonna shoot hundreds of rounds. Just want them Around for the occasional quiet execution of a pest. Are the new CCI quiet long rifles the same price?

With the selection of long rifle ammo, there's no need to attempt to shoot shorts. Long rifle ammo can be found from 700 fps to nearly 1500 fps.

I tend to agree with Mobuck. 22LR for varmint control is the way to go. Using ammoseek.com, you can find CCI Quiet 22LR rounds for around 8 cents/round. Natchez Shooters Supply has a 50 round box for $3.99.

I know for a fact the Winchester levers will handle short, long, and long rifle interchangeably.

If you're talking about the 9422, mine (unfortunately:() is a jam special with shorts.

Marlin 39A not, and my Browning BLR also not.

If you want to look for a pump or semi the Remington 552 (auto) and 572 (pump) handle all three lengths quite well, as does the 550 (auto). They also have the advantage of longer barrels which will shoot a .22 short somewhat quieter than some other guns.

If you want mega quiet with shorts, look around for a Winchester Model 67A single shot with a 27" barrel

Oops! I meant I got 200 rounds of shorts for 23 bucks. Still more expensive than the CCI quiets but the store didn't have those. But other than the ease of shooting the quiet LR rounds, are the CCI quiets more powerful a round over the shorts, or are they simply long rifle rounds loaded down to short power? Would a quiet round be more lethal than a short?

My Henry H001 will shoot both, I pick one or the other to shoot for a while as the buildup of residue from the shorts makes it not want to feed long in or out, but after a cleaning it runs just fine.

I like .22 short, mainly for how quiet they are.

The Marlin 39 is a bit pricey, but it will shoot the shorts just fine.

I tend to agree with the other posters who advise the use of the low powered less costly and readily available 22LR sub sonic rounds. I have used them for years as a pest control round and my neighbors never heard a thing.

I'm not sure how powerful CCI .22 quiets are, but I enjoy lobbing them at a steel plate 150 yards away. Lots of fun and you barely need hearing protection. I would think it would flatten any pest are normal distances.

My Winchester 250 lever action shoots .22 shorts, longs and long rifles just fine. BTW, my Dad bought it for me as my first gun in 1965 and I still have it to this day :)

I don't think I would buy a rifle as expensive as a marlin 39 or a henry lever action for just 200 rounds of ammo. See if you can find some of the CCI CB Longs. They will feed through your 10-22 mag but you will have to operate the bolt each time. But you can load the mag with 10 rounds of ammo. These will also cycle through the Marlin model 60 but again you will have to operate the bolt.

If you are set on CCI Quiet 22s Academy Sports near me gets them on a regular basis. But thet are louder than the CCI rounds. And don't forget the Remington CeeBee rounds. They are like the CCI Quiets and I like the hollow point on them better.

And don't forget most old tube fed 22 rifles will handle shorts, logs and long rifle rounds and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than a lever gun.

Back