.22 calibers

Magtech makes a 98-grain SJHP in .32 S&W Long. It's pretty easy to find and not brutally expensive. I wouldn't count on expansion but as far as a basic projectile goes, it's a slam dunk over .22 LR. Recoil is mild from the LCR. Fired from an SP101 or one of the older target revolvers designed for it, it's fun for the whole family.
Be better off with a .32 wadcutter, I think.

Be better off with a .32 wadcutter, I think.
That's certainly possible. I like the Magtech SJHP because it's affordable, easy to find, and has consistent quality. Especially considering people with hand issues, I think it offers a good balance for practicing with what you carry.

Ratshooter mentioned Buffalo Bore. They make a hot 100-grain wad cutter for .32 S&W Long. I wonder how that compares to common .32 H&R Magnum.

I've always liked these types of double action revolvers with the pull pin that I believe only H&R made. They were simpler (thus cheaper) to make, more durable, and would be good for home defense in the day and that's pretty much what their intended market was: low income people looking for a basic home defense gun that was small and could be hidden easier than a shotgun.

Had H&R made these in a .38 Special, they'd never have been able to make enough of them.

How about in 38 S&W?

A very early H&R most likely made in 1936-1937, before model numbers and model names. Later was called the "Defender" and then Model 25.

standard.jpg

How about in 38 S&W?

A very early H&R most likely made in 1936-1937, before model numbers and model names. Later was called the "Defender" and then Model 25.

standard.jpg
I've had a .38 S&W H&R Defender on my mind for a while, but I don't need another caliber to reload, which is the reason I said had these been made in .38 Special they never would have been able to make enough of them.

Why H&R decided to make the top breaks in .38 S&W and not something like .38 Short Colt or Long Colt is a mystery because the benefit of the .38 Short/Long Colt is they are basically shorter .38 Specials that use the same bullets and in some cases reloading dies.

I mean, that would have appealed even to higher income people who maybe had a nice S&W in .38 Special or .357 that they didn't want to get too dinged up, but had a top break in .38 Colt for defense and the .38 Colt can also be shot in .38 Special and .357's.

I can see a lightweight, modern top break 2 or 3 inch barrel revolver being very popular today. People aren't wanting to carry magnum snubbies anymore, they're looking for something reliable and low recoil. A top break with the fast reload in a low recoil caliber like the .32 S&W Long, .32 ACP, .38 Short/Long Colt would be very nice.

Just don't make them like the NAA top break where you unlock the latch when cocking the hammer.

Why H&R decided to make the top breaks in .38 S&W and not something like .38 Short Colt or Long Colt is a mystery because the benefit of the .38 Short/Long Colt is they are basically shorter .38 Specials that use the same bullets and in some cases reloading dies.

A big reason was that H&R (particularly before December 1941) saw the British as a potentially larger and more immediate market than the US. The British standard at the time was the 32/200 which is the same as the 32 S&W. They marketed the pistol for 38 S&W 200 grain.

Ratshooter mentioned Buffalo Bore. They make a hot 100-grain wad cutter for .32 S&W Long. I wonder how that compares to common .32 H&R Magnum.

I looked at the Buffalo Bore 32 longs and they are around 100-150fps faster than most factory loads but not in the same league as a 32 mag. Not even the original 32 mags that shot an 85gr bullet at 1100fps and was kept down in power because the first 32 mags were the H&R guns that couldn't take what 32 mags can be loaded to.

The BB loads are what I load for my 32 long revolvers but my S&W models 30 and 31 were made in the 1970s and are stronger than the old top break guns. When the 32 mag came out some folks were rechambering 32 long guns to 32 mag. I wouldn't do it myself, not when I can safely load 32 longs up in power.

Speer has a couple of loads for a 60gr bullet intended for the 32acp pushed to over 1,000fps from a modern S&W revolver like a model 31 with 4" barrel. I have never tried them. I pretty much stick to lead 100gr lead bullets in the 850fps range from a 2" S&W model 30-1. They get just over 900fps from a 4" model 31-1. And still have light recoil.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=344

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=345

Who carries a .22 besides me?
Sadly (or happily - I guess, depending on your point of view) - my .22 revolvers (older pristine S&W M17's) have become so valuable I can no longer afford the risk of even shooting them - let alone even think about sticking one in a holster.

I only take them to the range when I introduce a new shooter to revolvers.
After a few cylinders - I quickly transition them to a M19 using .38 spl.

.22 caliber - Revolver??

I thought this was the revolver forum so here is the one I have. It is not a carry gun but I really enjoy shooting it.

IMG_20150718_222408548-L.jpg

Back