.22 calibers

my wife has a ruger lcr 22 mag. that thing makes a lot of noise and has real punch. it is no toy. easy to shoot also.

I also carry my old H&R 923 every once in awhile. I guess its at least a half century now but still works as well as it did back when I thought it was really cool. I even still have the old ratty holster I found in a barn IIRC and it still looks like something you'd find in a barn.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It's one where you remove the cylinder to load or unload and holds nine rounds.

standard.jpg

The rod doubles as an extractor shaft making it easy to get any stuck cartridges out.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The double action is really heavy but the single action crisp and light with almost no travel thanks to H&R's two step system where the trigger itself just cocks the hammer and the small secondary trigger releases the sear.

standard.jpg

Jar, thanks for posting those pics....great old .22...and I especially liked the one of your ancient flap holster....I've made a few up over the years and may make another...yours gave me some new ideas! Rod

I also carry my old H&R 923 every once in awhile. I guess its at least a half century now but still works as well as it did back when I thought it was really cool. I even still have the old ratty holster I found in a barn IIRC and it still looks like something you'd find in a barn.

standard.jpg

The rod doubles as an extractor shaft making it easy to get any stuck cartridges out.

The double action is really heavy but the single action crisp and light with almost no travel thanks to H&R's two step system where the trigger itself just cocks the hammer and the small secondary trigger releases the sear.

standard.jpg
I've always liked these types of double action revolvers with the pull pin that I believe only H&R made. They were simpler (thus cheaper) to make, more durable, and would be good for home defense in the day and that's pretty much what their intended market was: low income people looking for a basic home defense gun that was small and could be hidden easier than a shotgun.

Had H&R made these in a .38 Special, they'd never have been able to make enough of them.

JAR, that IS a cool old H&R!!! I love old rigs like that. Imagine being 12 and having that set up!! ::D.
My Grandmother carried an old H&R pull pin / .22, a 922 if I recall. It was a solid, heavy snubnosed revolver.

Have a 1 5/8 NAA mini revolver, NAA 4" Earl, NAA Pug and a Ruger Single Six. Happy with all of them.

Had a Taurus model 92 I think it was. But it had a heavy DA trigger pull and some timing issue's. So I traded it.

Browning buckmark that is my favorite rimfire in my collection to shoot.

Ruger Single six in 22 mag. It's an older 3 screw. Got it from a shop that was going out of business for 30% off. Price with discount made it one of my best purchases.

Last edited:
I have no problem carrying a 22 mag revolver. I have a 351c that rides in a jacket pocket in cold weather. I also own a couple of NAA minis that I carry as back up from time to time.

The 43c and 351c are great choices. They are lightweight, reliable, safe to carry, simple to shoot, hold 8 or 7 shots, and you could toss one to a non-gun person in a pinch and they would immediately know how to use it.

My new favorite .22 is my six shot Uberti Stallion SAA. I had to send it back for warranty work yesterday, as the hammer occassionally slips out of full cock. Can't have that happening.

They didn't send me a shipping label... $109.00 to overnight fed ex! Hopefully they will reimburse me. Probably would have just been cheaper to just order a new hammer and fix it myself. :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to get it back though. Well balanced, accurate. Fun little backyard plinker. Great tool for destroying outdated eggs and tin cans. Can't wait to try it out on small game at some point. Would work in a pinch too as a self defense weapon.

Last edited:
My new favorite .22 is my six shot Uberti Stallion SAA. I had to send it back for warranty work yesterday, as the hammer occassionally slips out of full cock. Can't have that happening.

They didn't send me a shipping label... $109.00 to overnight fed ex! Hopefully they will reimburse me. Probably would have just been cheaper to just order a new hammer and fix it myself. :rolleyes:

I'll be happy to get it back though. Well balanced, accurate. Fun little backyard plinker. Great tool for destroying outdated eggs and tin cans. Can't wait to try it out on small game at some point. Would work in a pinch too as a self defense weapon.
You carry it?
Who carries a .22 besides me? I've switched to it because of my arthritic wrist.

No, I haven't carried it, not yet anyhow, since it's out for repair. Guess I got off topic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No worries but I HAVE 'carried' my Beretta/Uberti Stampede BirdsHead in a cross draw holster, under a hoody..Kinda keen doing that(Not a 22 tho, 38Spec/357)..kinda like Doc Holiday type carry...:)

I am a big fan of the Ruger Bearcat for just bumming around with the dog in the woods when it's not bird season.

Also my old bullseye customized Norinco copy of a TT Olympia goes out often as it is sub-minute-of-pinecone and fits nicely in a little camera bag I have that also carries dog treats, poop bags, snacks and whatevers. A modern possibles bag.

/sarcasm mode on Now as for .32 revolvers, they are utter garbage. Complete junk. Who would want that obsolete little pop gun round? Useless! I will buy your useless S&W model 32 and do you a favor paying for it, because you really know that you need something modern. Old blued steel and wood guns must make way for plastic! I am doing you a favor, really. /sarcasm mode off

Isn't is amazing how many people will tell you about their semi autos when you ask a question in The Revolver Forum??

I think some are more interested in telling you about their gun than staying on topic.:rolleyes:

I only have one 22lr double action left. An old S&W model 34-1 with 4" barrel and flat latch. I believe it was made around 1960. But it shoots like a laser beam. I had it out a few months ago and was impressed all over again with how well it shot.

You can slip it in a pocket. But its just a little bit too big for that. The Taurus model 94 with 3" barrel and 9 shot cylinder was better for pocket carry. But I sold it in a fit of stupidity.

I would like to have one of the NAA 22/22 mags with the longer barrel. That would be a great pocket gun.

I've shot a lot of rimfire over the years. I've shot plenty of small critters with it. I've carried it on occasion in the past. These days, I won't. Even when I bring a .22 pistol out for a walk in the woods, I'll carry something else with it. I just don't feel good relying on rimfire for self defense.

Health issues are no joke. Staying proficient can be tough with arthritis or nerve issues. If possible, I'd do everything I could to explore lighter-recoiling guns in .380, .32 acp, .32 H&R Magnum, or .32 S&W Long.

I really agree with those who have mentioned a 32 caliber over the 22. I have some 76gr lead bullet loads that are almost as easy to shoot as a 22. No they won't expand but even unexpanded they have as much or more frontal area as an expanded 22. Plus the reliability of a centerfire round.

But there are two possible downsides. One is that a 32 is going to be a 6 shot unless you find one of the new Charter Arms Professional 7 shot and any good 32 long loads will most likely be handloads unless you pay the crazy prices someone like Buffalo Bore wants for their ammo. But at least they sell good stuff.

I have carried a 22 revolver before and never really felt under armed. I didn't feel over armed either.:eek:

Last edited:
... any good 32 long loads will most likely be handloads unless you pay the crazy prices someone like Buffalo Bore wants for their ammo.

Magtech makes a 98-grain SJHP in .32 S&W Long. It's pretty easy to find and not brutally expensive. I wouldn't count on expansion but as far as a basic projectile goes, it's a slam dunk over .22 LR. Recoil is mild from the LCR. Fired from an SP101 or one of the older target revolvers designed for it, it's fun for the whole family.

Back