.22 Cal.CCW How Common Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to carry a TCP ( for 2 -3 years ) & just switched out for the 7 shot 22 Magnum

after I had to put my lil dog down ( used the TCP ) I was not impressed with real world penitration ) it did a fine job on the Bichon, but no exit wound from near point blank range with Winchester FMJ factory ammo...

I carried my Taurus PT-22 for a time, as BUG. Replaced it with a KelTec P32, when it was all the rage. The P32 is smaller, lighter, and more powerful, while still being completely controllable and reliable. Win, win, win, yet the PT-22 was completely reliable as well. Now, it's a grab and go fun gun. But if it had been a .22 mag, I'd probably still be carrying it.

Semi auto 22 Mags are pretty few & far between... I have a PMR-30 & an Automag 2... both are "full sized" guns... not sure how many other, or what the smallest of 22 Mag semi autos would be???

BTW... pic of my 351 PD 7 shot 22 Magnum... a joy to carry... was wrangling between the 351 PD & the LCR in 22 Mag for a replacement to my TCP...

attachment.php

Last edited:
My great-grandmother lived on the family farm. She never went to school, never got her driver's license and as far as I know never traveled more than a hundred miles or so from where she was born, lived and died. They were dirt poor and all she could afford was a little single shot 22 short revolver. She kept it in her apron most all of her life. I know she used it once or twice to kill the odd dog or something, and they say she pulled it on a crazy man that walked up to the house one day, but he left. I believe she would have shot him if he'd have stayed around.

All that to say, the mainline way of thinking would have us all believe bigger is better, faster is better, whatever buzz word is popular at the time is better. But it's those old country folk who didn't know any different but had full confidence in what they had and used it. Those folks are more "gun" people than any of us.

I personally carry a Browning Buckmark as my primary sidearm when I'm in the woods. I hunt in an area where there are some sketchy people living not too far away. We also have wild dogs and coyotes on the property. I don't feel undergunned with my 22.

I think regular carry of a 22 handgun is a lot more common than folks on the forums (who are mostly gun nuts) would generally think. When I do choose a 22, I tend to carry the Ruger LCR. I like the option to just pull the trigger again if there is a misfire.

Just a guess. I think there are many who do carry 22LR as their primary CCW. The "real gun people" here choose either not to believe it or won't admit it. With that said, the only way I would ever carry 22LR for SD is in the form of a revolver.

BTW... pic of my 351 PD 7 shot 22 Magnum... a joy to carry... was wrangling between the 351 PD & the LCR in 22 Mag for a replacement to my TCP...
Ooh....now that's sweet. I wish though, somebody would make a .22 mag auto in small, or even smallish size. I would love to still have a PMR-30, even so.

i generally alternate my ccw between a ruger lcr 22lr and a bond arms 410. how is that for a contrast? why these two? i can hit center mass reliably with both quickly out to 15'. i like how they feel and carry.

Just a guess. I think there are many who do carry 22LR as their primary CCW. The "real gun people" here choose either not to believe it or won't admit it.

I think you are right. I think a lot of people who want a small gun choose a 22 rather than a 380 or 9. They are more comfortable with a 22 and they have more confidence in shooting it. The women and meek men who carry them stay under the radar.

Skeets,

A couple years ago, I was watching a gun show. Two dudes were discussing which handgun is the best carry gun. On a table, they had about one dozen guns laid out starting with a 22 pistol all the way to the S&W 500. They discussed the pros and cons of each gun. They started with the 22 pistol (don't recall which one), and after discussing it for a minute or two, one of the fellows said, "I don't know anyone who wants to be shot with a 22". Kinda summed it up nicely.

The Israeli sky marshals were initially equipped with Beretta Model 70 or 71 .22s. They did pretty good jobs in eliminating some terrorists attempting to hijack El Al aircraft, as well as one incident when they stormed a hijacked Sabena airliner in Tel Aviv and sent the hijackers to whatever their eternal reward was. Of course, the Mossad also used Beretta 70/71 .22s.
I believe that a 22 pistol can be an effective personal defense weapon if the operator can get good shot placement,

I carried a sterling 22 auto all through the 1980's it was the only gun I could afford at the time. Glad I never have to use it, it was a jam o matic. but I figured I could always throw it at someone to gain a few steps on them. Its funny I never felt as uneasy back then as I do now. and now I can afford a actual self defense gun.

Walther tph

I occasionally carry a Walther TPH. It's reliable with CCI Stingers and it's flat profile works well in a pocket. It's very easy to dump 7 shots in a fist size group at 10 yards.

well i look at it as the Rimfire cals are best in a wheelgun(even with premium ammo), and centerfire cals are best in a semi, however as in the thread in the semi-auto part of the forum, that RIA is coming out with a 22 WMR 1911, if they come out with an CMD sized and Officer size models, i could see myself CC one :D , but shot placement is key to any and all CC cals and deep CC cals.

well i look at it as the Rimfire cals are best in a wheelgun(even with premium ammo), and centerfire cals are best in a semi, however as in the thread in the semi-auto part of the forum, that RIA is coming out with a 22 WMR 1911, if they come out with an CMD sized and Officer size models, i could see myself CC one , but shot placement is key to any and all CC cals and deep CC cals.

Why would anyone want a 22WMR in a 1911? I have a RIA 1911 in 9mm and it is a nice shooter with very moderate recoil and 9mm is far easier to find, is cheaper and more dependable.

You know, I just purchased a Smith 317 and it weighs 12.5 ounces and is an 8 shooter. I am a self avowed gun nut with all kinds of suitable ccws, Colt Cobra, Smith M 60 Smith 396, Colt LW Commander etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be carrying my .22 Smith a lot.

What about the Bersa Thunder in .22lr. I have held the pistol, but never shot it, I really enjoyed how it felt in my hands. Seems like an underrated company. If I had to CC with a .22lr I would practice every chance I could get to ensure shot placement if/when needed to actually use the pistol in a situation.

Over the years I've carried an Iver Johnson TP22 or an NAA mini, but not as a primary gun. I'll still sometimes slip a NAA Sheriff with the .22 mag cylinder, in my pocket, for when I'm "not carrying a gun", but most times my LCP fills that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back