20 years I'm happy with Cabela's and they finally tick me off.

I don't like how their pricing in store suggests that items are on sale but when you get to checkout you are charged full price unless you have a card.

They released the firearm to you after checking their paperwork and you paid for it, so you took possession legally. If they want you to correct their oopsie so the boys from BATFE don't spank them, you can do it at your leisure or they can send a manager to you to take care of it.

I no longer patronize Cabela's because of their dropping their "World Class Guarantee" where you could take anything you bought from them and return it if you were not happy with it. For decades, I bought all my outdoors gear from Cabela's, until I tried to return a pair of hiking shoes because they got slippery when the soles got wet. One of their CS Supervisors berated me for trying to return the shoes after I had worn them. When I asked if that was a problem since Cabela's had an absolute guarantee on all of their gear, she told me they had discontinued the guarantee because they couldn't make any money with a guarantee like that. I smiled, left the product, and called the credit card company to cancel the charge. I no longer shop there, and encourage others to do the same.

Scorch checkout llbean if you haven't already they did (believe still do) had a similar guarantee. A friend of mind returned boots because the soles wore out... They replaced them. Personally I didn't agree with it, but they stood behind it.

I think I have an amusing Cabela’s story. Disclaimer: I like to go to Cabela’s and look. I agree with most folk here that in general their prices are too high. OTOH occasionally they do have some stuff at a good price. Around November 2016 they had the Ruger LCP for $200, probably to make way for the LCP II.

Anyway a couple years ago Cabela’s had the Remington 597 Yellow Jacket .22LR (the one with the goofy stock) on sale for $200. I decided at that price I wanted one and drove over. In the store I saw two Yellow Jackets in the rack each priced at $310. I got a clerk and found out:

1. They were selling new Yellow Jackets for $200.
2. They were out of new Yellow Jackets and would not be getting any more.
3. The Yellow Jackets in the rack were used guns.
4.The price of the used Yellow Jackets would not be lowered to the price of a new one. That is, they wouldn't budge on the $310 price for the used guns

I found this amusing and still shop there but I did shake my head a little bit at them and I was disappointed but other .22LR’s have come along since then and I’m fine.

I've enjoyed Cabelas for years -- some of the nicest and most helpful people while buying over the phone. I've used their VISA card for years -- one reason being their aggressive fraud unit. Also, if you buy a gun that doesn't work out ,eg saltwood, a return is very easy. Heck, today I replaced my 15 year old rusted out smoker grill with a new from Cabelas using VISA points. Recommend OP stick with them.

.02. David. :)

I go to Cabelas to look at stuff, but never buy. I will not pay for all the overhead that goes along with their stores. I find their products, including their guns are way overpriced. I know stuff goes on sale, and you MAY be a able to get a decent price on a gun now, and then, but for me it is just not worth it.

I had Cabela's NOT honoring any sort of guarantee on some cargo pants that fell apart. They were just a few months old and they claimed it was normal wear. Finally, the manager said they would replace them if I could find the exact same pair at the store. Well, I did BUT they had a button on the fly instead of a snap and they said no go on the replacement. Bah.

Also, they run a bait and switch on gun ads. They advertised a really good price on a rifle - the local store didn't have it. I found out that there were only FOUR, four, four - that's 4 in the whole US of A! After prolonged conversation with their HQ, they wouldn't even issue a rain check.

LL Bean has honored replacement on boots that fell apart. It is separate issue that boots fall apart when just standing around doing nothing. It's common it seems with boots nowadays that use glue. However, they did replace them.

The only dealing I had with Cabela's was a real mess . I bought a handgun on line last year on Thursday afternoon . I paid gave my FFL,s shipping address and all info to the salesman . After five days of no shipping e-mail I called them . The sales man I talked to was gone for two week no one at Cabelas knew anything about the deal the firearm or me .

I got the handgun later but was and still not real happy .

Thanks for the update , it sounds like they did good in your case by giving you a $50 gift card . I would have expected a $10 card . We can't expect for a company to pay our hourly wage . At least they paid for your gas .

I suggest that if your life is such that this is a problem of significance...
That you be very grateful things are going so well.

In any form of relationship,business,friendship,family,marriage....20 years with only one beef?

Agreed,they did not fully settle up to even. They did at least approach meeting halfway.

Remember that behind it all is being in compliance with a bureaucratic agency with the power to pull an ffl.

The sun is going to rise in the morning.You have a new rifle.

It used to be a treat.."road trip" to drive to Kimball,the old two story brick building...

Cabelas had a niche,they were successful.Served me well.
There area lot of options these days.
Itsall about how the customer feels after spending the buck.

Cabela's is now owned by Bass Pro, be interesting to see what happens with both stores in same city.

Not really in same city here in San Antonio we have BP.
Cabelas is 70 up I35 in Buda (just outside Austin)

Nothing has changed at either.
I prefer Cabelas over BP
Better selection in general (especial in ammo)
In general about same on $$$

I recently purchased a Gamo 22 breakbarell from Cabelas (about 4mo back) it started acting up so I returned it (no receipt btw as I tossed it) walked in told CS what was up instructed to go select replacement which I did. The model had been replaced by new improved one.

In under 10 minutes I was walking out with a new one no question no hassle.

You may see some cross branding but in general I think they will remain as two separate stores.

Not many places have both anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back