2" vs 3" barrels, practical differences?

I've seen the 2" barrel Taurus 942 in .22lrf, but Taurus USA has 3" barrel versions advertised. Have not seen those anywhere. Anyone seen them yet?

And yes, What fits the lady and her needs is the way to go. I was going to say more but 44 AMP covered things well.

I've seen the 2" barrel Taurus 942 in .22lrf, but Taurus USA has 3" barrel versions advertised. Have not seen those anywhere. Anyone seen them yet?
So it does. My bad. It shows 2" and 3" but no 4". So I guess a 3" is on-topic. And yes, it should be the lady's choice. And it is her brother's choice whether or not he wants to try to overcome her "big sister 22LR stuborness" and educate her about the 22WMR advantage.

I have one of these in 22WMR and it has VERY low recoil, so a much heavier Taurus 942 would be a piece of cake..
attachment.php

Attachments

• p-778-22ms_2.jpg
    p-778-22ms_2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
On the .22 wmr, make sure she tries one at an indoor range before buying her one. Maybe it's just me, but those things are ear piercing load even with muffs. Because of that, I decided years ago that I wasn't interested.

When I was shopping for a snub for the wife way back when, the shop I loved also catered to the needs of the local PD. I was looking at Det Specials, model 36s and the cheaper Rossi 3". They told me that the police that had trouble qualifying with snubs would use the 3" model 36s. So that is what I bought her and I enjoyed it as much or more then she did. I even used it one time at a bowling pin match and was amazed how well it handled pins rapidly. I also like how the extra inch seems to stabilize better iwb and helps keep the butt in tighter. They are just "comfortable" guns to shoot compared to the 2" version. Now, when I was looking at the new Colt Cobra and Kimber, I was able to compare 2" and 3" in both models. I was very surprised that in my hands, the 2" Cobra balanced and pointed the best for me, in the store.

The issue for the op seems to be which is best for AIWB. I can't help you there since I don't care for that carry method but like you, the few times I tried it with a 3" I wasn't comfortable. I have an older CA 3" Bulldog .44 special that I do often pocket carry. I simply check the new pants, making sure they have deeper pockets. It puts the butt just below the pocket opening which makes for an easy draw with no searching in a deep pocket for the grip on a smaller, shorter 2". The 19 ounces also seems to be the cut-off weight for me when it comes to sagging the pockets like some all steel snubs do at 22-23 ounces.

Well this thread took some interesting twists.

BTW, I think I've decided to get the K6s DA/SA with the 3" barrel. It will be more fun to shoot more often, and it won't be a primary carry gun -- that will remain my 9mm subcompact mostly, or my S&W 442 when I need something lighter. I may at some point get a K6s snubbie also and replace the 442, but these things are just so expensive! :)

Back